British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hello17

My Collection-a little dairy

thank you

And for gods sake, DO NOT PART WITH THE SILVER COINS, they have bullion value, if they have no numis value then just pop them in a jar for years down the road. Silver is sky high right now, so if its pre 1920 do not part with it.

Edited by azda

thank you

And for gods sake, DO NOT PART WITH THE SILVER COINS, they have bullion value, if they have no numis value then just pop them in a jar for years down the road. Silver is sky high right now, so if its pre 1920 do not part with it.

??? so u saying it will go up in price?

i was selling the silver

not just giving it away

thank you

i was selling the silver

not just giving it away

If "Silver is sky high right now" (which it is) then now IS THE RIGHT TIME TO SELL!!! Always sell when the market is rising high - those of us with longer memories can recall what happened after 1980-81 (the last time the silver market went sky high) - it collapsed spectacularly back to its former levels and didn't recover for years.

I can't see a repeat of the early 80's market and feel it won't actually drop.

The Yanks are still ploughing into bullion.

However take profit (as I once was advised by a very astute (and rich)Scotsman)....not Dave :D

Shares;take profit on a 20% rise and sell at a 10% loss.Also choose your shares carefully.

This can be said of coins generally.

Common early good grade silver is flying.

I've sold most of my junk silver and looking to move on anything less than nvf.

The rest is staying.

From not a rich Scotsman (i have a wife you know) i'd still keep hold of the silver, add to it if you can, junk coins etc, no numis value other than bullion. 2 theories Hello17......1 you are young enough to collect the scrap for a while and 2 you are young enough to get ripped for the bullion value. What you were thinking of selling, don't. Stick it in a jar and keep hold of it

Peter, what have you in scrap for sale in silver?

Edited by azda

thank you

i was selling the silver

not just giving it away

If "Silver is sky high right now" (which it is) then now IS THE RIGHT TIME TO SELL!!! Always sell when the market is rising high - those of us with longer memories can recall what happened after 1980-81 (the last time the silver market went sky high) - it collapsed spectacularly back to its former levels and didn't recover for years.

I believe the Labour government sold our Gold at what they thought was a sky high price, lost the economy quite a bit of Geld i believe ;) Chancellor Peckris lol. Hold onto the silver bullion hello17

hahaha that sounded like something you would put on facebook

ok. i will jar it.

From not a rich Scotsman (i have a wife you know) i'd still keep hold of the silver, add to it if you can, junk coins etc, no numis value other than bullion. 2 theories Hello17......1 you are young enough to collect the scrap for a while and 2 you are young enough to get ripped for the bullion value. What you were thinking of selling, don't. Stick it in a jar and keep hold of it

Peter, what have you in scrap for sale in silver?

My view is that bullion will remain high until stocks recover, then I suspect silver (but probably not gold) will fall away. Personally, I don't keep scrap for that long prior to selling on and my advice would be to sell when you have a reasonable amount.

i dont really get silver that much.

and if i do i usually put it in my collection

i have tomspare

two silver 50 cents (spain and france?)

1921 australian threepece

1913 three pence (my low condition one(fine)

P.S. i think this s most popular topic ATM (at the moment not cash machine)

I can't see a repeat of the early 80's market and feel it won't actually drop.

The Yanks are still ploughing into bullion.

However take profit (as I once was advised by a very astute (and rich)Scotsman)....not Dave :D

Shares;take profit on a 20% rise and sell at a 10% loss.Also choose your shares carefully.

This can be said of coins generally.

Common early good grade silver is flying.

I've sold most of my junk silver and looking to move on anything less than nvf.

The rest is staying.

That's what they said about the 90s "Bull market", house prices before 2008, and "boom and bust"...

Not sure what the conditions are over there in the UK, but here in the US there is a huge interest in gold/silver and the like. Everywhere you see "Cash4Gold" commercials promising to pay "top dollar" for silver/gold coins, jewelery and the like (but of course only pays you a fraction of what a reputable buyer would pay). In fact a number of US states have either passed or are considering making US silver coins legal tender for their bullion value. Coin and jewelry stores that used to be nearly empty a few years ago are now packed with people buying and selling gold/silver bullion. The difference I see in this market than the market of the 80s is that a lot of the price increase is caused by investor demand and actual (non-recoverable) use of silver rather than the market of the 80s which was caused mostly by the Hunt Bros. In the US people have stopped trusting the dollar and most are looking to move a lot more of their assets to physical gold/silver. What is interesting is that coins that were "collector" coins such as common-date Standing Liberty quarters, Morgan Dollars and Barber coins which a few years ago contained a substantial premium over silver melt have now come to be priced the exact same as a coin of the same denomination dated 1964.

At least for me, I could make a substantial profit if I sold a lot of my silver, but unless there was something decent to put it in, other than taking a guaranteed loss by putting it in a savings account, keeping the cash, or buying a savings bond, and risking it on the stock market, or buying more risky investments like real estate (which the market still hasn't settled), I'm not going to sell it, even though I don't think we will hit $60+ silver (until the US dollar and the rest of fiat currency collapses).

Not sure what the conditions are over there in the UK, but here in the US there is a huge interest in gold/silver and the like. Everywhere you see "Cash4Gold" commercials promising to pay "top dollar" for silver/gold coins, jewelery and the like (but of course only pays you a fraction of what a reputable buyer would pay). In fact a number of US states have either passed or are considering making US silver coins legal tender for their bullion value. Coin and jewelry stores that used to be nearly empty a few years ago are now packed with people buying and selling gold/silver bullion. The difference I see in this market than the market of the 80s is that a lot of the price increase is caused by investor demand and actual (non-recoverable) use of silver rather than the market of the 80s which was caused mostly by the Hunt Bros. In the US people have stopped trusting the dollar and most are looking to move a lot more of their assets to physical gold/silver. What is interesting is that coins that were "collector" coins such as common-date Standing Liberty quarters, Morgan Dollars and Barber coins which a few years ago contained a substantial premium over silver melt have now come to be priced the exact same as a coin of the same denomination dated 1964.

At least for me, I could make a substantial profit if I sold a lot of my silver, but unless there was something decent to put it in, other than taking a guaranteed loss by putting it in a savings account, keeping the cash, or buying a savings bond, and risking it on the stock market, or buying more risky investments like real estate (which the market still hasn't settled), I'm not going to sell it, even though I don't think we will hit $60+ silver (until the US dollar and the rest of fiat currency collapses).

I think you're absolutely right. However, I stand by my point that all upswings are inevitably followed by a downswing. That's a rule that's never failed yet, except in the cost of living in the West since WW2 (though Japan proved that negative inflation was possible around 10 years ago).

as soon as the stock market gets in the up position will be the tie to sell i think???

as soon as the stock market gets in the up position will be the tie to sell i think???

I wouldn't wait, personally. On the news today, they reported that copper and tin prices have already fallen sharply very recently. Silver won't be far behind, I should think.

cupronickel seems to go down.

too many mixed opinions.

confusing to me

anywho...

i got my gold half crown 2009 proof

also a 1967 gold layered penny. as seen on tv?

but the package for the halfcrown doesnt make sense

David Moss

Head of special archive releases

p.s.

the next coin in the collection Fabula Arum -The Story of Gold has been reserved for you and will be sent in approximately 4 weeks

entirely on approval and with out obligation . You need take no further action-it's that simple! Welcome to the fabula arum- the story of gold

i do not understand.

anywho...

David Moss

p.s.

the next coin in the collection Fabula Arum -The Story of Gold has been reserved for you and will be sent in approximately 4 weeks

entirely on approval and with out obligation . You need take no further action-it's that simple! Welcome to the fabula arum- the story of gold

i do not understand.

Alarm bells should now start to ring.

They make their money by selling you the first item and then routinely send you things on approval that they expect you to pay for but are never even close to being value for money. Unless you (or your grandfather) have signed up for a specific number of items and any distance selling cooling off period has expired, then you are under no obligation to take further items. I assume it was your Grandfather who bought the items in question and it is he who will be bombarded with items on approval sent to the contact address given.

On the assumption there is no long term contract, I suggest that you write to them (preferably signed for to prove that they have received the letter) or email them asking to be taken off the mailing list, whilst pointing out that you will not be buying any more things on approval from them and that if they send them, they will not be paid for and will be treated as unsolicited goods which you are under no obligation to return. (Unless of course that is, you actually do want to receive them in the future). They rely on people's guilt in not taking up an offer that has so "generously" been made available to them and a lot of people get conned into thinking they have a bargain. This has expanded on the reason why Peter said this was your first mistake. The one thing these people crave is contact details. Randomly sending out gilt pennies to all the addresses in the telephone book would not be cost effective, but selling these items to people with a passing interest in coins is the basis for a business as the material costs are a tiny fraction of the retail price and so you only need a small percentage to take up the offer and make it worthwhile on their part. Taking up the next offer by actually paying for it means you will probably get an expanded and more expensive selection of similarly overpriced tat to choose from soon afterwards. If you really want their items I suggest you buy them in the second hand market as the price will be a fraction of the original.

Sorry for the doom and gloom one day into your 15th year, but there are a lot of people on this forum who don't like to see people being ripped off whether it is coins or anything else and these items fit the bill perfectly. Others will echo what I have said and so you would be well advised to post any queries you have for specially packaged or presented items. Use dealers for purchasing single coins. Chris who runs this site is one, and there are a few other members with websites listing coins for sale such as John (argentum...), red riley, ColinG, myself, Michael Gouby (whatever his id is?) etc. not to mention the many more who list items on ebay. Any reputable coin dealer will take back a coin you are not happy with, though for obvious reasons it becomes unhelpful if rejection is the norm and in this case you should drop the dealer.

Edited by Rob

Patrick

I tried to warn you.

The company make you think they are the Royal mint.Their initials are LMO?

Google the full name followed by scam.

Get your Granddad to help you and get them off your case.

If you still want the coins pick them up from most car boot sales for pence (they are worthless tat).

I would act now rather than later.

Oh don't phone them on their advertised nrs they are premium rate.In some of the threads a freephone nr has been discovered.

Good luck

anywho...

David Moss

p.s.

i do not understand.

Alarm bells should now start to ring.

They make their money by selling you the first item and then routinely send you things on approval that they expect you to pay for but are never even close to being value for money. Unless you (or your grandfather) have signed up for a specific number of items and any distance selling cooling off period has expired, then you are under no obligation to take further items. I assume it was your Grandfather who bought the items in question and it is he who will be bombarded with items on approval sent to the contact address given.

On the assumption there is no long term contract, I suggest that you write to them (preferably signed for to prove that they have received the letter) or email them asking to be taken off the mailing list, whilst pointing out that you will not be buying any more things on approval from them and that if they send them, they will not be paid for and will be treated as unsolicited goods which you are under no obligation to return. (Unless of course that is, you actually do want to receive them in the future). They rely on people's guilt in not taking up an offer that has so "generously" been made available to them and a lot of people get conned into thinking they have a bargain. This has expanded on the reason why Peter said this was your first mistake. The one thing these people crave is contact details. Randomly sending out gilt pennies to all the addresses in the telephone book would not be cost effective, but selling these items to people with a passing interest in coins is the basis for a business as the material costs are a tiny fraction of the retail price and so you only need a small percentage to take up the offer and make it worthwhile on their part. Taking up the next offer by actually paying for it means you will probably get an expanded and more expensive selection of similarly overpriced tat to choose from soon afterwards. If you really want their items I suggest you buy them in the second hand market as the price will be a fraction of the original.

Sorry for the doom and gloom one day into your 15th year, but there are a lot of people on this forum who don't like to see people being ripped off whether it is coins or anything else and these items fit the bill perfectly. Others will echo what I have said and so you would be well advised to post any queries you have for specially packaged or presented items. Use dealers for purchasing single coins. Chris who runs this site is one, and there are a few other members with websites listing coins for sale such as John (argentum...), red riley, ColinG, myself, Michael Gouby (whatever his id is?) etc. not to mention the many more who list items on ebay. Any reputable coin dealer will take back a coin you are not happy with, though for obvious reasons it becomes unhelpful if rejection is the norm and in this case you should drop the dealer.

Yes, I agree. My sister got ripped off by some 'promotion' that arrived in the post - it was supposedly a prize draw, and you had to send the promoters a text. They then sent her 6 texts in return. What they didn't explain (except maybe in some very very very small print) was that receiving these cost £1.50 per text. And then, when she had already lost £9 and next topped up her phone, they sent her 6 more! This isn't as bad as that, but it's a way to get you to spend a lot of money on things that aren't worth what you pay for them. Decorated plates were a popular scam in the 1980s. "Limited edition" medallions by various private mints (the Franklin Mint for example) have always been another.

If you like your 2009 halfcrown (whatever that is) then by all means keep it and enjoy it, but don't expect to sell it in the future. It's not real coinage. Don't get ripped off!!

i remember getting my phone and asking for the news (i thought it was like the internet) and i t sent me lots of texts that charged me!!! felt unhappy

I agree, those people who sell coins on TV give our hobby a bad name. I can't tell you how many people's collections I've had to tell them aren't worth what they paid for it because they bought base metal Franklin Mint and similar coins. The problem is that people keep buying them as an investment because the TV makes it sound like it is an investment when it isn't. I mean, if you like the coins and want to buy it for the coins, go ahead, by all means buy it, but it makes a terrible investment. I don't know if you have it as bad as we do in the US but we have people selling worthless junk on the TV all the time, my favorite being either the copy of the American Buffalo in 14 milligrams of pure 24K gold or the 24K plated $2 bill...

Examples:

I agree, those people who sell coins on TV give our hobby a bad name. I can't tell you how many people's collections I've had to tell them aren't worth what they paid for it because they bought base metal Franklin Mint and similar coins. The problem is that people keep buying them as an investment because the TV makes it sound like it is an investment when it isn't. I mean, if you like the coins and want to buy it for the coins, go ahead, by all means buy it, but it makes a terrible investment. I don't know if you have it as bad as we do in the US but we have people selling worthless junk on the TV all the time, my favorite being either the copy of the American Buffalo in 14 milligrams of pure 24K gold or the 24K plated $2 bill...

Examples:

It's human nature to get a bargain(or be told it's a bargain).I love the 14 milligrams of pure gold:D .

We have all become badge snobs from tyres to glasses.My daughter insists on D&G frames.I picked up my £1.50 (+1.25) reading glasses from a warehouse type shop and the frames are suspiciously identical(without the D&G).Colleagues were working on a contract in Istanbul and bought Lacoste polo shirts for £1 directly from the factory before the shirts were sent to have a little croc added.

What would you rather have. A gold plated circulated 1967 1d or 1928,1929,1935,1936 1d's in UNC.

I love a bargain but look a little bit further than the end of my nose.

Must go now because its not payday until next Friday and I need to borrow £300 at 2,500% APR to get those fetching wings tattoed above my wife's bum. -_-

are unc pennies that cheap??? wow should keep y eyes open

are unc pennies that cheap??? wow should keep y eyes open

Surprised? That's why you should always buy the books and then the coins. Most people overpay for items because they haven't done their homework. An ethical seller might list an unc 1967 penny for £1. Less scrupulous people might list the same item for £10, after all, £10 isn't a huge amount of money in this day and age. With a little knowledge, the same £10 might just buy all of the Elizabeth II pennies in UNC once you realise how cheap they are. Would you prefer 8 coins (1953 & 1961-7) for the price of 1 without dropping grades, or not? Silly question probably.

Edited by Rob