British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
greenman

1841 Half Crown

I have a 1841 halfcrown found in the wall of an old cottage in Ireland with a number of other coins of little value. Like all the coins it is worn with use. Is anyone intersted. It is not in the best of condition. Was going to put it on Ebay. Offers anyonepost-6858-031520800 1312627732_thumb.jpgpost-6858-096424200 1312627751_thumb.jpg

I have a 1841 halfcrown found in the wall of an old cottage in Ireland with a number of other coins of little value. Like all the coins it is worn with use. Is anyone intersted. It is not in the best of condition. Was going to put it on Ebay. Offers anyonepost-6858-031520800 1312627732_thumb.jpgpost-6858-096424200 1312627751_thumb.jpg

It is a very rare date (although very battered).

I'm sure one of the silver boys will be along soon.

BTW you've posted twice.

Sorry to have to tell you that it isn't what it purports to be. It's a copy.

If it was right I would have had it in the blink of an eye, even in that state.

Contemporary or modern, John?

I would guess Victorian, ie made to deceive in currency transactions. It looks too crude to be an attempt at conning a collector.

It would be interesting to know the weight and metal composition.

Snt you an email with the coin weight and list of all coins found in the wall..They were in a cavity behind the timbers of the front door of the cottage I was working on. I have not tried to polish the coin and until your reply had no idea of coin forgeries...it is quite an education I am having.

Many thanks you saved me from making quite a fool of myself...Are there people who collect forgeries. i know that the other coins are little better than scrap...perhaps I can off load them on ebay for £1 to £1.50 each..when they have a free listing day.

The collective face value of the coins would have been a small fortune in my childhood in Cheshire...but what a pocket full they would have made...unlike todays lightweight nearly worthless bits of metal.

Greenman

Sorry to have to tell you that it isn't what it purports to be. It's a copy.

If it was right I would have had it in the blink of an eye, even in that state.