British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

AJWcoins

1844 AANNO edge error crown - unrecorded variety

Got this one today and it appears to be a unrecorded variety. I've seen the 1845 has this error which is noted in 'Collectors Coins GB' but this is the same error but on a 1844 crown. Here's some photo's:

P1020355.jpg

P1020354.jpg

Lovely picture of a star stop too - thanks for that - I've only ever seen a cinquefoil...

• Like 1

Lovely picture of a star stop too - thanks for that - I've only ever seen a cinquefoil...

Not a problem Declan. do you know or indeed does anyone know if this error has been encountered before? I can't find anything about it except for there is a 1845 with the same error.

• Like 1

I have a 1844 (cinquefoil stops) with "ANANO". Maybe these edge mistrikes are too frequent and variable to detail as varieties?

Welcome to the Forum gpw. That sounds on the face of it to be a significant variety, what do others think?

It depends on whether ANANO is the result of double striking, or a wrongly lettered edge. No double striking should ever make the variety list because every one must by definition be different to the next. The use of an edge with the wrong legend is a different matter.