British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Cerbera100

English Copper, Tin and Bronze coins in the British Museum. C W Peck.

I apparently have a spare copy of Peck 2nd Ed, which due to restricted shelf-space I am looking to move on to a new home! Pictures to follow, but clean copy with no (that I've noticed!) annotations and intact dust jacket (this slightly tatty).

Not really sure how much this should fetch, but have seen examples online (including on a forum-members site!) in excess of £100! As such, PM me with your best offer and I'll let you know!

I apparently have a spare copy of Peck 2nd Ed, which due to restricted shelf-space I am looking to move on to a new home! Pictures to follow, but clean copy with no (that I've noticed!) annotations and intact dust jacket (this slightly tatty).

Not really sure how much this should fetch, but have seen examples online (including on a forum-members site!) in excess of £100! As such, PM me with your best offer and I'll let you know!

Most of us cu boys will have it.A handy book if you can't quite reach that item on top of the kitchen units.

Most of us cu boys will have it.A handy book if you can't quite reach that item on top of the kitchen units.

True, but I thought I'd try here before succumbing to the vagaries of ebay!

Your second point is also valid, but I've just spent £1.99 on a plastic step for my wife for that reason, so no need for her to dirty my nice book!

True, but I thought I'd try here before succumbing to the vagaries of ebay!

Your second point is also valid, but I've just spent £1.99 on a plastic step for my wife for that reason, so no need for her to dirty my nice book!

Certainly worth £100 of anybody's money but you'll be for it if she falls off the plastic step.

Drop me a PM if you get no takers and I'll make you a low ball offer ;)

Right photos at last! <rubs hands together awaiting the flood of offers>!

Front

Spine

Back

Inside 1

Inside 2

:)

If I was selling I would expect to take around £180 for an example that clean (might have it in stock a while though). The last second edition I sold was in mint state and I took £225 for it I think.

Hope that helps.

At one time they sold well on the bay.

Taking fees & postage you won't see £100 :(

Ask Chris about plans for an updated reprint. :o

Not sure I can be fagged with the hassle of ebay - having got the scales out, its going to be best part of £25 postage for 1st class!

If worse comes to worst, I know that RCC doesnt have a copy in the library, so will speak nicely to our esteemed President/Chairman!

Hi, did you move your book on? If not, what are you wanting for it?

Many thanks,

Stuart

pm sent :)

Is this gone now ?

Apologies - yes, I probably should have mentioned that Coinery is now the proud owner of this one!

Is this gone now ?

Apologies - yes, I probably should have mentioned that Coinery is now the proud owner of this one!

Proud, and pleased indeed! It paid for itself within days of my taking receipt of it (superbly packaged, by the way), by identifying two types that I had previously marked down as standard, when in fact they were nothing of the kind.

A great book, Gollum...as I PM'd you, I sincerely hope you locate one, I cannot recommend it any more highly than i do, especially for the pre-Freeman copper.

Peck is a book you work up to.It is not for the novice collector.It will cost 3 figures and there are far better targets for the bronze collector.

You can't have enough books but.....

• Like 1

Peck is a book you work up to.It is not for the novice collector.It will cost 3 figures and there are far better targets for the bronze collector.

When you say it's not for the novice, do you mean by virtue of it's cost?

Post 1860 there are Freeman/Gouby/Groom which superceed Peck.

Pre 1860 a novice will probably not be collecting with a vengence.

I tend to agree, however I wouldn't be without my Peck (or North for that matter from a silver perspective), and I dont really collect bronze (or hammered silver) as a main-line!

Both a touch on the expensive side certainly, but worth their weight in gold when it comes to identifying that random piece that your friend/colleague has just shown you! So much easier than Spink (or dare I say it - CCGB!) for picking out the specifics!

From these, a rather odd looking small bronze piece became a James I Lennox type 3c Farthing token, mintmark Star BMC 86 or 87 and North 2135! All in about 5mins of browsing!

Post 1860 there are Freeman/Gouby/Groom which superceed Peck.

Pre 1860 a novice will probably not be collecting with a vengence.

Do you know, it's really interesting to hear you say that (or write that, I should say [write]) because, when I first developed an interest in coins, it was the historical aspect that grabbed me...quickly followed by the artistry of it all.

I didn't even get excited about a coin, or think it to be anything like old, unless it was at least pre-Victorian. I bought stacks of Georgian junk back then for pennies, and would've loved a book like Peck's at that time, just for the other great love of it all...nailing a coin down to an exact moment in time, and being able to catalogue it with as much detail as possible.

It's taken me a long time to get over the 'old' thing, but I now get extremely excited about a nicely toned EdVII (with as much underlying lustre as possible - just as long as it doesn't interfere with the tone ;-)).

I guess what I really mean to say is...I wish someone could reprint peck for kindle or something, anything, just get something out there that's readily available and reasonably priced...two-volume paperback, that'll do!

I do catch your drift though, Peter.

Peck is on My birthday wish list, the boss has been advisedd. After that, 1 or 2 krause to keep me going for 3-5 years, only for reference though

The cost is a bit steep I agree, but I think it's worth it. Not for definitive varieties in the bronze era, as later books have been produced which are far better as others have pointed out. But there's 200 years of copper and tin that preceded bronze, and of those, the extraordinary output of the Matthew Boulton Soho Mint plus the Victorian Taylor restrikes of the same, have never been bettered than Peck's coverage. Plus, it's a wonderful educational resource with good long articles about the production techniques of the time, etc. And a great set of illustrated plates of all those tiny differences, rare patterns, proofs, and so on.

The cost is a bit steep I agree, but I think it's worth it. Not for definitive varieties in the bronze era, as later books have been produced which are far better as others have pointed out. But there's 200 years of copper and tin that preceded bronze, and of those, the extraordinary output of the Matthew Boulton Soho Mint plus the Victorian Taylor restrikes of the same, have never been bettered than Peck's coverage. Plus, it's a wonderful educational resource with good long articles about the production techniques of the time, etc. And a great set of illustrated plates of all those tiny differences, rare patterns, proofs, and so on.

My wife got me my Peck many years ago (she does listen to my mutterings :) )

She phoned Colin Cooke who didn't have one for sale at the time but put her onto Spink.

They had 2 so she initially ordered the cheapest of the 2...and then thought about it and changed her order for the better one :)

Now when I'm furious with her all I have to do is think of PECK (not Peckris :huh: )and everything is good. :)

Edited by Peter

It's definitely a book for the birthday/valentine/Easter/summer solstice/Christmas wish list, no doubt about it! It does put your average-incomed family man/woman into serious grovelling mode, no doubt about that, either!

It's definitely a book for the birthday/valentine/Easter/summer solstice/Christmas wish list, no doubt about it! It does put your average-incomed family man/woman into serious grovelling mode, no doubt about that, either!

Sigh, I ordered one new from my small-town bookshop when I was 16. The price then was £5:87. Alas, the call of vinyl and girls was stronger (yes, there is an "and" there... :rolleyes: ) so I never collected the order. Fast forward 30 years and an auction where paying the best part of £100 for one seemed reasonable enough :D It probably wasn't too far away from that £5:87 in real terms. It certainly was a long way from it in terms of disposable income to spare on buying a copy of Peck. :P