British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveG38

1693 Farthing

Ok, own up, which one of you outbid me on the 1693 farthing earlier today? I need to know which effigy to stick the pins into!

Just a guess, Peter? Lol

Not guilty...my effigy lives for another day :D

The one in Carlisle at the saleroom I work in part time?

That's the one! Have I missed out on a 'bargain', or had a lucky escape? It looked genuine to me, but given that a VF specimen went for £9,500, I felt that anything above £2,000 for this one in Good Fair, maybe NF was as far as I wanted to go. Sometimes filling a gap isn't always a case of 'at any cost' and for me this was one such occasion. Hey ho. I console myself with the thought that this issue wasn't really a circulation piece and that's what I collect, rather than all the other trials, proofs and assorted types. But I've still got the dolly and the pins!!!!

Edited by DaveG38

That's the one! Have I missed out on a 'bargain', or had a lucky escape? It looked genuine to me, but given that a VF specimen went for £9,500, I felt that anything above £2,000 for this one in Good Fair, maybe NF was as far as I wanted to go. Sometimes filling a gap isn't always a case of 'at any cost' and for me this was one such occasion. Hey ho. I console myself with the thought that this issue wasn't really a circulation piece and that's what I collect, rather than all the other trials, proofs and assorted types. But I've still got the dolly and the pins!!!!

I had a good look at it and did not think it was genuine. Looked like tooling on the exergue although I didn't put it under a scope. There was also a lot of grime in and around the date but not on the legends. I understand all of the 9's on these look enlarged but it looked too bad to be a pattern piece. I may be wrong but a £2360 price is a long way to go for a coin you hadn't inspected first hand!

If it's any consolation there was no interest in the room with book against phone all the way from £40!

Twas not me!

I've been on my rack in the dungeon all day having melted wax poured on me whilst studying the die pairings of 1861 1d's. :rolleyes:

I had a good look at it and did not think it was genuine. Looked like tooling on the exergue although I didn't put it under a scope. There was also a lot of grime in and around the date but not on the legends. I understand all of the 9's on these look enlarged but it looked too bad to be a pattern piece. I may be wrong but a £2360 price is a long way to go for a coin you hadn't inspected first hand!

If it's any consolation there was no interest in the room with book against phone all the way from £40!

Looks like I may have had a lucky escape. I based my assessment of it on the obverse, which definitely seems to be obverse 3 not 4 (as found on the 1694) plus the fact that as you say the '9' on these is a very odd size. I also examined the only other one I have seen and the lettering etc. plus the date numbering seemed to be OK. However, I agree that was not in the hand. I also guess it could have been a forgery, either contemporary or otherwise, although its hard to see where an original would have come from, either then or now.

The Corbet issue also had problems on the 9&3 but I wouldn't say no....although for £9.5k I probably would. :huh:

It was a poor sale overall and I had no interest even at £40 in the 93. I might be wrong, but, they might all be forgeries.

For only a handful of known examples they have to have been trial pieces or patterns? If that is/was the case surely the work would have been of a higher standard?

I'm no expert in the field but that's my thoughts for what they're worth!

It was a poor sale overall and I had no interest even at £40 in the 93. I might be wrong, but, they might all be forgeries.

For only a handful of known examples they have to have been trial pieces or patterns? If that is/was the case surely the work would have been of a higher standard?

I'm no expert in the field but that's my thoughts for what they're worth!

And the other thing is that it seemed a little odd sitting there in amongst much more mundane material, in a rather obscure auction house (no offence intended Argentum, but they are not the first name that comes to mind when thinking of coin auctions). If genuine, I'd have expected it to have surfaced in one of the larger auction houses. The way it was played down rather suggested it might be not quite as it appeared and now you say that the room wasn't interested makes it likely that it wasn't what it seemed to be. Even as a forgery it would have been interesting, but not £2360 worth of interesting. Oh well, somebody got an expensive piece of copper and I'm not in trouble with Mrs G.

I have no reason to doubt the source Dave.

Small obscure sales regularly turn up sleepers and because they are obscure the prices are usually much more appetising than in the London salerooms.

The cataloguer is a militaria man and really knows his stuff, but he is not so hot on coins so even if it was a forgery he would not have known or expected it to be so.

It may be a genuine piece, but I won't gamble on maybes unless they are coming at stupidly low prices.

John.