British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I'm going to Pack in collecting, i'm seriously pissed of with what i've seen by some sellers and have decoded enough is enough, wankers like Martin Platt and his alter egos will spoil my enjoyment of this hobby.

Those of you who are unaware of what goes on then feel free to ask, but i for one have had enough and intend to sell off what i have. Its been fun and learned a lot from this forum, and spoke with many knowledgable minds.

Thanks.

I'm going to Pack in collecting, i'm seriously pissed of with what i've seen by some sellers and have decoded enough is enough, wankers like Martin Platt and his alter egos will spoil my enjoyment of this hobby.

Those of you who are unaware of what goes on then feel free to ask, but i for one have had enough and intend to sell off what i have. Its been fun and learned a lot from this forum, and spoke with many knowledgable minds.

Thanks.

Dave,

That's the thing it is YOUR hobby, you need to chill out and let everyone else look after themselves, there are multiple aspects of this hobby that are frustrating, but the positives far outway the negatives for me. There is nothing wrong in bringing something to peoples attention, but the constant posting on the issue can come over as quite aggressive in itself.

Posting the facts about a situation on the forum I assume would be fine, and a good thing for everyone, but the outbursts of language and obvious frustration don't help your cause and if I was a newcomer they would come across as a personal grudge (similar to the other post that went off course) and I would probably ignore it.

Just enjoy the collecting...take ten deep breaths, have a tipple and join back in with the banter ;)

Um .. . Ebay is but one source of coins. And there are many honest, reputable dealers and collectors out there. If you're bored with the hobby, that's one thing. But if you're still enjoying collecting then why let someone else put you off? Stuff them I say. Find other sources for your new aquisitions.

And if that hasn't persuaded you .. well, I'd just suggest not doing anything hasty. You can sell your coins just as easily in a month as tomorrow. Think it over.

And if that hasn't worked, well it's been fun and interesting seeing your new purchases, so thanks for that. And all the best. But I hope you reconsider.

Dave

I agree with Colin.

Take one step back and if you still feel bad so be it.

The hobby is fascinating,accessible,available 24/7 and if you run a tight ship may increase in value year on.

There can be bad eggs but the majority of dealers and fellow collectors are trustworthy and from experience educated and pleasant.

We all like a bit of banter and that is where it should remain.Getting uptight about situations never appears to be the answer.

Peter

You are correct Colin, what i've mentioned on the forum looks like a grudge, but i know it isn't and so do several others. I've proved My point many times and don't need to do so again.

Some have took notice of me (thank god) others are blinded by the bling/shine and general bullshit of a certain ebay seller.

I've done all i can to get rid of this PLATT but uncortunatel. Forums get threatened with lawsuits and owners don't want to risk what i say is correct

My main problem is Common knowledge , since picking up on this asshole i've obviously found out more, its seriously going to far for me, taking to much of My time and especially when people don't believe you.

Peter, i'll send you more info in due course, what i believe i've Found out is to much info overload

Azda,

The advice from Colin, Tom, and Peter is valuable...take it to heart. Don't give up on something you enjoy because of some one else's bad habits. If you give it up ...THEY WIN! Your input and enthusiasm is too valuable to the rest of us for you to drop out. Think it over..... BTW...I believe you (what you've written)!

Thanks.

Dave,

That's the thing it is YOUR hobby, you need to chill out and let everyone else look after themselves, there are multiple aspects of this hobby that are frustrating, but the positives far outway the negatives for me. There is nothing wrong in bringing something to peoples attention, but the constant posting on the issue can come over as quite aggressive in itself.

Posting the facts about a situation on the forum I assume would be fine, and a good thing for everyone, but the outbursts of language and obvious frustration don't help your cause and if I was a newcomer they would come across as a personal grudge (similar to the other post that went off course) and I would probably ignore it.

Just enjoy the collecting...take ten deep breaths, have a tipple and join back in with the banter ;)

Colin, when i posted facts, those FACTS were taken down due to the owner being apparently threatened by the arsehole in question

Dave

I agree with Colin.

Take one step back and if you still feel bad so be it.

The hobby is fascinating,accessible,available 24/7 and if you run a tight ship may increase in value year on.

There can be bad eggs but the majority of dealers and fellow collectors are trustworthy and from experience educated and pleasant.

We all like a bit of banter and that is where it should remain.Getting uptight about situations never appears to be the answer.

Peter

The reason i do what i do is because i care passionately about my hobby. I don't want people stung and ripped off by people like him. There's been some newcomers on the forum recently, those people are the mainstay of any dealer, ignore these people then you'll ignore future sales, I buy from many dealers on here, partly because you have what i want, and partly because i want to support you, when i show you whats happening, do you suport me?

Hands up those passionate people

Edited by azda

"The star that burns the brightest, burns the quickest"

I've been waiting for this day ever since you exploded onto the forum Dave. You have been well advised to take a step back and a deep breath.

For what it's worth here's my opinion.

Collecting is like a round of golf. The only thing that matters is what YOU do. Yes there are distractions and irritating playing partners, bad luck, good luck, cheats etc, but none of these things can impact upon you unless you let them. You also can't rush the outcome - a round of golf takes 4 hours and if you try too hard, all you will do is damage your score and enjoyment. If you feel you need a break from coins, organise your collection as you would like it, then put it away in a drawer and do something else that recharges your batteries.

I think a lot of collectors go through intense periods and then periods of almost disinterest, but at some point in the future you will 'go again' and when you do you will probably be grateful to your younger self that you didn't dispose of everything.

I myself haven't bought a coin this year, I am in remission, but I'm still a coin collector.

And as far as this fellow who's got up your nose goes, deal with it. Either take him to court or let it go, don't have it festering.

As has been said, all that matters at the end of the day is that you enjoy the hobby. Nothing else is of any consequence whatsoever, save all the aggravation for work and the things you have to do, make the things you choose to do as pleasant as possible.

Take control.

Edited by £400 for a Penny ?

Well said, £400!

I put my coin collection away when I was about 21 or 22, and didn't get it out again till I was in my mid-30s. If I'd have got rid of it back them, I'd have spent the rest of my days wishing I hadn't.

Imagine how you'd feel if you sold your coins and some of them ended up under Mr Platts brillo pad! It is your sacred duty to prevent that happening, and if that means hanging on to them then that's what you must do. Decent coins need looking after properly, and you know you're the only man who can do that.

I filter out all the sellers that niggle me in my searches, so I don't even see them. Eventually I forget they even exist. I started doing that after I saw a 1927 silver threepence made into a keyring. I don't put myself through that any more. Some second hand car dealers have practices I don't approve of, but I still drive cars.

Thanks.

Unfortunately there are lots of people like that in all walks of life. I have had many different hobbies over the years and although the vast bulk of people are honest and straightforward, there is always a minority that cross the line - from the golfer who doesn't tell you about his extra four shots in the bunker to the classic car dealer who pays the widow a quarter of what her late husband's car was worth because she doesn't know any better.

Yes, coin collecting contains its fair share of sharks but it's no worse than anything else and in any other hobby you take up to replace it, you will come across the low-life that make you seethe. I would echo what others have said, take a step back and maybe a few weeks out and just let it out of your system. You will feel the better for it.

Dave, you've done what you can, pointed out to everyone in these forums what is 'afoot' on eBay, and they can act - or not - according to their inclinations. You can do no more. Except let it fester and that would do you no good.

In fact, you could still be of service, drawing attention to a certain dealer's items without mentioning him by name, and stating that in your opinion the coin is cleaned, overgraded, and probably overpriced. But there is no onus on you to do so, and if you decided not to, no-one could criticise you, you've done your bit.

But don't leave the hobby unless you're seriously pee'd off with coins (and I know you're not). Enjoy what you have, as others have pointed out - you'll only regret it if you sold in haste and lost what you've spent time and effort building up. And one parting shot - if you did sell up and quit, then "he" has won, not that that would cross his little mind for even one second.

What is it I have missed regarding Platt? I have noticed forum comments on him before but what has tipped it over the edge?????

okay.....where do we start with this.....

well i was also thinking along the lines of dodgy car dealers not stopping me from driving.

Dave.....i can only assume that you started collecting coins , like all of us, for the things they represent, the history, the intrinsic value,collecting that final piece that finishes a run , their desirability of ownership. All good things. but like any purchase, whether its for work or pleasure, theres an asshole prepared to gain from someones lack of knowledge/ vulnerability...... however dave......for every asshole, theres a hundred maybe a thousand good people, good sellers/traders....a good few here too, just look at the good folk youve conversed with on this great hobby on this forum alone, you gonna let 1 asshole ruin that enjoyment?...........okay, theres an asshole out there..........i bet theres more than 1........how many people misadvertised 20p coins on ebay over the last couple of years?.

i admire your passion, youre posts regularly reflect that. Go ahead and take time to reflect, but your passion better serves you in collecting coins, discussing aspects of collecting with all here than getting upset over a dodgy dealer. remember also, for people who visit here, youre mostly preaching to the converted, its not the informed collectors here that need enlightening....that doesnt mean they dont support you.

its very easy to become embroiled in the "politics" of any hobby, and that can detract from the hobby itself............Dave, get back to enjoying coin collecting.......theres a lot of history in them pieces you own, thers a lot of pleasure to be had from their ownership, theres a lot of pleasure to be had from discussing those pieces and sharing them with your fellow collectors.........please continue to do so.........SKI

What is going on???

Dave, I just see there being so many sides to coins/numismatics and my take on them and it as per above is that there are many experiences good and bad. The good, at least for me, outweigh the bad and I have met many people with whom I maintain a friendly relationship, exchange photos, etc.

I try to be reasonably careful and not overspend my wallet; with that having been said, I go into "remission" periods of NO coins! And then it hits with a vengeance once again, and off to the races...

What is going on???

Ebay shilling ring. :angry:

You will have to plough through the various threads...also on CC.

Azda it would be a shame to see you go, surely its a step too far to turn your back on something which your obviously passionate about. Obviously what you have discovered is frustrating and understandably so its not right, but like has been said already you can warn potential buyers. How about just taking a break from buying any coins for a while and monitor the situation I can picture you regretting selling off your coins. Would be such a shame to lose you from the forums.

What is going on???

No longer on CC. Infer what you will from its disappearance...

What is going on???

No longer on CC. Infer what you will from its disappearance...

I believe it was taken down, as Nick says, make what you will from that. Obviously most of you know i've been the instigator about a certain someone, he threatens public forums with legal action, yet, me, a private individual has not received a dicky bird. Obviously it being public he can't get away with so much, so threatens action. I seemed to have had a major brain fart when starting the thread, thank you all for your support, so f**k HIM, i'm not giving up collecting, he can go kiss my Scottish hairy arse :D

Anyone that would like an updated list of a certain someones actions then PM me with email addies and i'll happily forward this on, he can't do nothing about that now can he. You make what you will from the list and if anyone agrees with what i've written then please forward it to friends or people you may know to warn them of certain practises by a number of people on the bay.

Thanks again for helping me keep the heid :blink:

:o :o :o please could you think of less er...well use things les insultive...

There are some real bad apples in coin collecting, but there are also a lot of upstanding coin sellers. I would trust many of the contributors over on the CU forum to sell me a good coin - and they have. The same thing applies to the mainstream dealers on your side of the pond - I have found many a coin from many different places in the UK, both via internet sales and in person.

There are some real bad apples in coin collecting, but there are also a lot of upstanding coin sellers. I would trust many of the contributors over on the CU forum to sell me a good coin - and they have. The same thing applies to the mainstream dealers on your side of the pond - I have found many a coin from many different places in the UK, both via internet sales and in person.

Unfortunately i got shafted by a dealer on your side of the pond, ebay seller name jeffone. Ripped me off for $200, said he'd sent a coin to an address i wanted him to ship in the USA, he uploaded the track number, and after a week and nothing i contacted him about it, he said it had been delivered and sent me a tracking number along with the email. I could'nt check util i got home, but the tracking numbers were different

I contacted ebay and they did f all because it was'nt paid by PP, and now the fat t**t is sitting with $200 of my money is his Madrid account and my effing coin :angry:

:o :o :o please could you think of less er...well use things les insultive...

That was'nt insultive hello17, the man in question is the sort of type new collectors like you need to avoid, and my few words there were not harsh enough, trust me, never buy from this man on ebay when you're old enough to start paying taxes.