British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi guys im new to this forum and this is my first topic/post.

Right i got a shed load of old coins and i dunno what to do with them, any help in I'D-ing and valuation of them would be much appriciated,

i will start off by uploading my first batch.

any info will help!

16 photos of 8 coins front and back

number 1 at top(just so i know which one you are referring to)

here is the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65148566@N06/

Hi guys im new to this forum and this is my first topic/post.

Right i got a shed load of old coins and i dunno what to do with them, any help in I'D-ing and valuation of them would be much appriciated,

i will start off by uploading my first batch.

any info will help!

16 photos of 8 coins front and back

number 1 at top(just so i know which one you are referring to)

here is the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65148566@N06/

Welcome to the forums coinman!

1. looks like a late Roman bronze, but judging from the reverse it could as easily be an antoninianus (like a denarius only base metal, silver washed)

2. a late Roman bronze in decent nick, I think I can make out the name Crispus? Possibly a "follis" but need to know the size

3. unknown (token of some sort?)

4. a late George III shilling and sixpence in very ordinary condition (those aren't rare even in high grades)

5. 1723 George II "SSC" shilling, between Fine and VF (SSC denotes the origins of the silver used) - nice enough but not rare

6. A "Profile type" late Henry VII... can't say what without seeing the size! IF IT's GENUINE (and not a repro) then it's potentially very nice

7. 1673 either halfpenny or farthing (what's the diameter??) in VF condition. Pretty nice.

8. A hammered gold coin - hard to identify, quite worn, but gold prices are quite high now.

Edited by Peckris

wow quick response man thanks

ok the sizes are as follows

2 is 18-19 mm (got a few of these) !

6 is 25 mm across( same size as george shilling but weights less)

7 is 21 mm across its a farthing because the woman on the back has her leg on show and on the half penny she does not, (google is good when you got some point of reference lol)

you say number 3 is a token, its got a date 1793 on it at bottom and some sort of message but cant make out really, although i can make out the words "spanish" and "sail", dunno if that helps identify

8 the gold coin, yeah it is worn cant make out much but i can see the letter v so maybe thats referring to a king the 5th i dunno.

this is good info btw thanks alot.

On the gold coin it seems like the easiest way to identify it would be to figure out what monarch's coat of arms it is in the picture. It doesn't seem to match any English king/queen that I can see, so its most likely foreign. From my searches it looks to be most similar to the coat of arms of some of the Burgundy kings such as John the Fearless? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_the_Fearless So it might be early French? I'll try searching some more and see what else I can come up with, I don't have a good reference for early French coins however.

6 The henry looks repro...far too central and a "punch like" profile.

7 The 1673 farthing is reasonable but porous and only F/F+.Early copper seems to be always overgraded.However a clear date and no major blemishes boost value.

Many a time my heart has raced as I have picked up a good looking piece of early copper only to discover the other side has problems IE date not clear or a flan flaw.

The gold coin is unlikely to be gold due to the fact it is showing severe signs of pitting which generally does not happen to gold, even if buried beneath the ground for hundreds of years. Number 6 is definitely a reproduction, the lettering and design are both not right, and it just looks reproduction, but it is not that often we get such a varied bunch from someone who has a bundle of coins to show. Number 3 looks like a medallion of some sort :unsure:

The farthing would have been nice if it was not for the surface pitting, but still a collectable example and I would agree with Peter with it being a strong GF :)

The SSC shilling is second bust, so more desirable as it is relatively difficult to get hold of when compared to the out and out common 1st bust. Book prices do not reflect the comparative abundances.

this is really good work fellas, i got so many coins to try and work out whats worth selling and what isnt, this is all helping.

shame about the gold one not being gold, im still trying to look for the coat of arms but coming up with nothing.

i will have more coins for you to look at if you dont mind? a wide range!

In group 2:

The last coin is a coin of Queen Elizabeth I, not sure which denomination because I don't know the sizes, but could be a threepence or sixpence? I haven't studied hammered coins enough to really give you a value (plus, in the US hammered coins are -expensive- and so the price will be different than what you can get in the UK).

In group 3:

The fifth coin is a Victorian farthing, the coin looks to have about fine details if I was grading it, does seem to have corrosion and pitting. Unless it is a rare die variety, it is pretty common and not worth much in that condition.

The sixth coin in group 3 is an Edward VII threepence, it isn't in that great of condition nor is it rare, it is only worth silver scrap value.

The seventh coin is a 50% silver 1924 shilling and in the condition it is in, is only worth silver scrap value.

Sorry I couldn't be much help on the ancients and medieval, but I haven't studied enough of it to be able to easily identify it, though surely someone on this forum can for you.

you guys know a lot more than me so anything you can tell me is a bonus, what i got of you lot so far is amazing thanks a lot.

I got group 4-5-6 up if anyone has a spare minute to look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65148566@N06/sets/

sorry for being a pain but you guys no what your talking about lol.

and if its not to much to ask, if you know what it is can you comment on the picture in the group so i can relate to it better. thanks so much.

Right where do we start? I assume you had/have a detectorist in the family :)

British Coins

Photos 1- 10 already been discussed I think

Photos 11 & 12 - 1901 farthing, a few pence in that condition

Photos 13 & 14 - 1806 or 7 halfpenny/penny depending on size, no real value in that condition

Photos 15 & 16 - 18th Century Coventry halfpenny token depicting Lady Godiva (Conder Token)

Photos 17 & 18 - Guernsey 20p - spend it!!

Photos 19 & 20 - To Hanover token see here http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk/Hanover%20Tokens.html

Photos 21 & 22 - 1916 Halfpenny, no real value in that condition

Photos 23 & 24 - As photos 13 & 14

Photos 25 & 26 - 1873 farthing, a few pence in that condition

Whilst not containing any real value, still a fascinating varied bunch to show.

The Elizabeth I coin referred to earlier is a half groat, but I will let someone else give you a run down on the hammered :rolleyes:

The buttons that you have are also known as livery buttons bearing heraldic crests :)

Right where do we start? I assume you had/have a detectorist in the family :)

British Coins

Photos 1- 10 already been discussed I think

Photos 11 & 12 - 1901 farthing, a few pence in that condition

Photos 13 & 14 - 1806 or 7 halfpenny/penny depending on size, no real value in that condition

Photos 15 & 16 - 18th Century Coventry halfpenny token depicting Lady Godiva (Conder Token)

Photos 17 & 18 - Guernsey 20p - spend it!!

Photos 19 & 20 - To Hanover token see here http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk/Hanover%20Tokens.html

Photos 21 & 22 - 1916 Halfpenny, no real value in that condition

Photos 23 & 24 - As photos 13 & 14

Photos 25 & 26 - 1873 farthing, a few pence in that condition

Whilst not containing any real value, still a fascinating varied bunch to show.

The Elizabeth I coin referred to earlier is a half groat, but I will let someone else give you a run down on the hammered :rolleyes:

The buttons that you have are also known as livery buttons bearing heraldic crests :)

yes my farther was a keen detectorist and done it all his life so u can imagine the pile of finds i have been left with, i used to go with him when i was younger put lost interest, but after looking through all these finds i kind of got the bug back and will be taking one of his machines for a spin soon to see if i can discover some things for my self.

this is good info btw guys its helping alot, remember to comment on the coins you no in flickr so i can make sence of all this info cuz at the moment im confusing my self as to which ones you keep referring to lol. thanks again.

A good detecting forum can be found at detectorist.co.uk :)

A good detecting forum can be found at detectorist.co.uk :)

ok thanks i have registered will ask for advice on my none coin items :)

The pictures you have of coins ranging from whole to precise halves and quarters, are a medieval silver penny / halfpenny / farthing, most likely from the reign of Edward I which is numerically the main suspect. Halfpennies were formed by cutting a penny in two along the lines of the reverse cross, and farthings ditto by cutting in 4. Fascinating coins to own though the commonest types are worth not a great deal.

The pictures you have of coins ranging from whole to precise halves and quarters, are a medieval silver penny / halfpenny / farthing, most likely from the reign of Edward I which is numerically the main suspect. Halfpennies were formed by cutting a penny in two along the lines of the reverse cross, and farthings ditto by cutting in 4. Fascinating coins to own though the commonest types are worth not a great deal.

no-way, so they cut coins in halfs and quarters instead of making halves and quarter denominations, how lazy! lol

as always thanks for the info.

no-way, so they cut coins in halfs and quarters instead of making halves and quarter denominations, how lazy! lol

Just goes to show that the name "halfpenny" is literally true!

Just goes to show that the name "halfpenny" is literally true!

The cut coins are short cross and more than likely Henry 111 (or could be an earlier rarer monarch.)

The long cross,Edward 1 onwards(the cross goes completely to the edge)superceeded the short cross to discourage clipping of the flan which was rife.

The cross gave a convenient template for cutting the coins.

Eventually 1/2d's and 1/4d's were minted.

I have seen cut groats (4d's).

Cutting and clipping continued.