British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest gibbyni

Hi all another newbie

Guest gibbyni

As the title says, another newbie here :)

I have a little collection but nothing to fancy, I have pics in my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/65129921@N04/

Anyway im looking to add to it but wondering the best place to get good quality coins. Im based in Northern Ireland so a little harder finding places. Most of what I have was built up in 2007 from EBay and has been sitting in a drawer since then. Im looking to get some good quality coins built up over time :)

Any advice would be great on what to stay away from and common mistakes. I have my SPINK book (2007 so a little out of date)

Thanks

Chris

PS if any of yous are lookig at my Flickr photos I would be greatfull if you could grade them, I know its hard to do from pics but its just to get my head around what is classed as what.

I have a little collection but nothing to fancy, I have pics in my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/65129921@N04/

Anyway im looking to add to it but wondering the best place to get good quality coins. Im based in Northern Ireland so a little harder finding places. Most of what I have was built up in 2007 from EBay and has been sitting in a drawer since then. Im looking to get some good quality coins built up over time :)

Any advice would be great on what to stay away from and common mistakes. I have my SPINK book (2007 so a little out of date)

Thanks

Chris

PS if any of yous are lookig at my Flickr photos I would be greatfull if you could grade them, I know its hard to do from pics but its just to get my head around what is classed as what.

Welcome to the forums Chris :)

To start with a bit of grading : your 1935 crown is better than VF (reverse NEF I'd say); your 1937 crown is at least EF though it has one or two scratches on the obverse; the 1951 is Unc (prooflike).

"Halfcrown's" (You're not a greengrocer by trade, are you? :D ) : 1887 VF+ but it's been cleaned; 1895 is Fair; 1899 is Fair+; 1914 VF+/NEF; 1915 (ditto); 1931 VF+/EF; 1947/1948 Fair+/Fine

It's a good starter collection - the George VI halfcrowns could do with upgrading, especially as they are inexpensive. I'd suggest one between 1942 to 1946 (i.e. 50% silver) could be picked up UNC for less than a tenner, or EF for less than a fiver. A 1948 could be got UNC for around a fiver, and a 1949 in EF for around the same.

Common mistake is to overgrade coins, and therefore overspend on them as a beginner. Learn to grade as your number one priority! At the top of the page you'll see a banner ad for Rotographic books - on the left is Grading British Coins which would make an excellent first purchase. And take grades you see advertised on eBay with a LARGE pinch of salt. There are some dealers who grade more or less accurately, but many others on there who describe everything as "UNC" or "RARE" or both. If you see something you like, and it's got plenty of time left on the auction (or Buy It Now), post the URL to it in these forums and someone here will assess it for you, and let you know 1) if it's worth going for and 2) what's the most you should pay.

The best places to buy from :

- your local coin club if you have one

- a coin fair but go with someone who is more experienced, the first few times

- online dealers (doesn't have to be eBay), for example Colin Cooke, Michael Gouby, Rendel Ingram, (Google), and a few members here have their own websites

- the home page of this site, which sells a whole range of British coins at reasonable prices

- a friendly local dealer (I'm sure there must be a few in Belfast?) - find them from a magazine such as Coin News

Welcome to the hobby and good luck!

Welcome to the forum and the hobby, but I won't be able to add any more than the above comprehensive and excellent response... :D

Thanks

Chris

Spink 2007 is OK as a reference.However if you want the latest (2011) coin values from 1797 to date Rotographics book (Collectors coins GB)at about £6 is excellent value and gives an insight on some of the popular varieties.

Maybe narrow your field of collecting and buy the best you can afford.

Silver and gold coins are at record levels and the best bun pennies are steaming hot.

There are some nice Irish coins to collect from 17C onwards (nice 1/4d's and 1/2d's)

I love the Wood's copper from 1722/23.

Ebay is OK and convenient but some low grade stuff goes for silly money.

Rather than just internet get a few dealers lists (adverts in coin monthly) request a few and order a few coins and you will soon get the jist of the better dealers.

Pecks done a nice job on grading...BTW ebay prices for 1887 jubilee coins are way over the top.

Welcome to thr forum. :)

Nice collection! And I understand your pain of trying to find a good dealer, most British coins here are sold as curiosities which mean low grade and you are paying $$$$ if it is old. Most of my collection has come from eBay too, but good luck at finding a dealer, chances are you'll find one you like easily enough over there.

Welcome aboard, you can collect anything you want - as long as it is not Scottish. Those latters are my exclusive domain. B)

BTW I also collect NI notes, specially the ones with lovely ladies.