British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1696farthing001.jpg

1696farthing002.jpg

Interesting coin! Wish I could help you with the identification, but if it was a contemporary counterfeit during the reign of William and Mary its in great shape. I'm interested to see what this ends up being.

Interesting coin! Wish I could help you with the identification, but if it was a contemporary counterfeit during the reign of William and Mary its in great shape. I'm interested to see what this ends up being.

Fascinating piece of trench art there, must have been a bloke, because he has erased Mary!! Never seen anything like that before, are you selling John? :) I do collect love tokens in the form of farthings, got a few but nothing that early.

Wonder if the N was removed or the result of a filled die....

Edited by Colin G.

Fascinating piece of trench art there, must have been a bloke, because he has erased Mary!! Never seen anything like that before, are you selling John? :) I do collect love tokens in the form of farthings, got a few but nothing that early.

I never noticed the N Colin.

I couldn't work out why the date has been altered to 1696?

A very good job on it mind as the 4 is all but unrecognisable.

Everything can be for sale (other than pennies and halfcrowns) but, I wouldn't have any idea what a fair price would be on it.

Its a disc so will be worth nowt ;)

Its a disc so will be worth nowt ;)

I never noticed the date!!! :lol:

Has it definitely been doctored? I can see that around the numeral/exergue line looks a bit rough

Throw a figure at me and we can work from there ;)

Edited by Colin G.

I never noticed the date!!! :lol:

Has it definitely been doctored? I can see that around the numeral/exergue line looks a bit rough

Throw a figure at me and we can work from there ;)

6 Grand?......... or you can trade me something I could sell from your vast amount of spare stock.

Definitely altered. There is a small piece of extra metal at the top under magnification. The exergue has carefully been cut away to give a larger area to work the top of the 6 into and the whole area around the 6 is pitted. It had me going for a while (thought I had an ultra rare mule!!!)

A very good job on it mind as the 4 is all but unrecognisable.

When I first saw the obverse I thought a typical worn William 96 but the obverse suprised me

being W&M.

Now what has happened to the date? A good 0 & a typical 6 all from a 94 !!!!!.

Who ever did this maybe could make me a nice 1693.

Colin why trench art?...most of the art involved the current circulation coins at the time not a 220 year old coin.

This is such a good example that it further gives me doubt of the authenticity of 1676 and 1693...and Dave I think it is a open 6 over tooth but not worn enough to be worth £20k plus ;)& your oldest copper penny is :P

Everything can be for sale (other than pennies and halfcrowns) but, I wouldn't have any idea what a fair price would be on it.

I will gladly send the original pictures to anybody who wants them so you can see just how good the alteration is. I wouldn't like to guess when or why it was done but it certainly has some age to it.

Now what has happened to the date? A good 0 & a typical 6 all from a 94 !!!!!.

Colin why trench art?...

If you think of what has been removed from the design there should be enough to form multiple new numerals but very skillfully done, would be interesting to know when it was done......my reference to trench art was a bit out date wise :lol: it is just because all my examples are from that period and therefore I dropped into auto pilot :blink:

I did'nt realise this was "have a dig at Dave Week" i've Added iit to My calemdar so i can bring My party hat Next year.

In answer ti your question Peter although an obvious flaw in that question As we all know that copper pennies started in 1860, so quite an unfair advantage, so Let's ask it differently as i believe a penny is a penny whatever metal it is, so whats been around longer, the penny ir the farthing? ;)

So in answer to a decent question, My oldest PENNY in ANY metal would be 1743, but whats been around longer? (game set and match) methinks me old farthing collector ;)

Edited by azda

So in answer to a decent question, My oldest PENNY in ANY metal would be 1743, but whats been around longer? (game set and match) methinks me old farthing collector ;)

I concur. The first farthings were pennies cut into quarters. Clearly not a chicken and egg situation.

I did'nt realise this was "have a dig at Dave Week" i've Added iit to My calemdar so i can bring My party hat Next year.

In answer ti your question Peter although an obvious flaw in that question As we all know that copper pennies started in 1860, so quite an unfair advantage, so Let's ask it differently as i believe a penny is a penny whatever metal it is, so whats been around longer, the penny ir the farthing? ;)

Cu pennies started in 1797 :ph34r:

Before copper 1/4ds we had the Rose/Harrington & Lennox's etc & beautiful little silver gems with the early Eddies.

We also had to cut up pennies into halves and quarters because pennies couldn't cut the mustard. ;)

It's not have a go at Dave time...it's just the shiney bun pennies can sometimes hurt your eyes and the bias on the forum is pennies. :angry:

I don't aleays do shiny pennies Peter, if i could affird the slender 3 type market then am sure my Collection would have more depth to it, in fact just tiday i bought ab 1874 wide date but cleaned penny only because it was high grade. I can't help what i find at a decent price, such as my recent 1872 Penny.

When your collection starts getting to become high grade then thats what you get used to, but when my date run eventually comes to an end, then i'll be looking towards rarities in ehat Grades i can find

Peter,

I think we need to more active in the number of farthing posts......although there will only be me and you posting :lol:

Then again John did start a farthing post yesterday!! :D

Peter,

I think we need to more active in the number of farthing posts......although there will only be me and you posting :lol:

Then again John did start a farthing post yesterday!! :D

Perhaps we could just start a different thread for the Pennies, that way now one would get annoyed at the amount of penny collectors ;)

I quite enjoy looking at the pennies, it makes me realise just what an achievement the farthing design is when considering the size of the coins ;)

There seems to be a bit of a denomination divide creeping its way in on the forum.....I still struggle with trying to determine whether I am a Northerner or a Southerner :blink:

Have you noticed how it's only the copper/bronze boys that get so defensive, those silver guys are happy enough to talk about each others coins...it must be a class thing :D

I'm a natural contrarian. :ph34r: If all the posts were about farthings, I would be calling for pennies. :o

You just need a bit of variety, that's all. Gold, silver, copper, bronze, off-metal strikes, proofs, patterns, currency, ancient, modern, hammered, milled, british, foreign, genuine, counterfeit, errors, pieces with a historical connection, other numismatic related topic - the list is pretty long. Points worth discussing, even if you don't know anything about the item in question. You don't have to live in a monoculture.

Ok, i'll ask this question. I've seen a gilded 1688 sixpence, obviously rare, but the gilding is going to be the problem part of selling it on. Is there any way to remove the gilding safely from the coin, or is it just a non starter?

You don't have to live in a monoculture.

I am very varied in my collecting habits:

Copper & bronze farthings

James I & Charles I farthing tokens

Encased farthings

Overseas farthings

Farthing love tokens

Hammered farthings

Model farthings

BWA 1/10 penny coins (don't know how that one came about, but they are a small denomination)

I think I may have a problem :lol:

Edited by Colin G.

Ok, i'll ask this question. I've seen a gilded 1688 sixpence, obviously rare, but the gilding is going to be the problem part of selling it on. Is there any way to remove the gilding safely from the coin, or is it just a non starter?

I am unaware of any method for doing this that doesn't destroy the normal patina and leave you with a shiny coin....many a good coin been ruined by unofficial gilding :angry:

You don't have to live in a monoculture.

I am very varied in my collecting habits:

Copper & bronze farthings

James I & Charles I farthing tokens

Encased farthings

Overseas farthings

Farthing love tokens

Hammered farthings

Model farthings

BWA 1/10 penny coins (don't know how that one came about, but they are a small denomination)

I think I may have a problem :lol:

You're eating too many beans...... oh sorry my mistake, I thought you said farting :D

Which unduly and unfartunately brings to mind the seller of farthings back a few years ago on fleaBay that seemingly missed the h in all the hundreds of his auction titles.

Which unduly and unfartunately brings to mind the seller of farthings back a few years ago on fleaBay that seemingly missed the h in all the hundreds of his auction titles.

Believe it or not i actually have an ebay search saved for "Farting" it's amazing how many typos there are you can get some real bargains :)