British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Generic Lad

Is this a circulation, or Maundy coin?

I recently bought a 1746 fourpence off of eBay, however, I cannot seem to find any information online if it is a Maundy coin or if it is just a fourpence intended for general circulation. In my 1999 Seaby Standard Catalogue of British coins, the design matches the Maundy issue (and I'm assuming the circulation issue also, the Arabic 4 with a crown separating the date) and I don't see any price for the 1746 fourpence in it other than for the entire Maundy set. So is this a Maundy fourpence? Or just a circulation issue?

I recently bought a 1746 fourpence off of eBay, however, I cannot seem to find any information online if it is a Maundy coin or if it is just a fourpence intended for general circulation. In my 1999 Seaby Standard Catalogue of British coins, the design matches the Maundy issue (and I'm assuming the circulation issue also, the Arabic 4 with a crown separating the date) and I don't see any price for the 1746 fourpence in it other than for the entire Maundy set. So is this a Maundy fourpence? Or just a circulation issue?

Maundy money was only really issued as sets following the recoinage of 1816. Prior to that it was customary to use normal currency, but you will notice that not all denominations are found for all the years where small change was struck and so this presumably means that minting was as required to satisfy demand. However, the entire series of small change from Charles II onwards uses the term Maundy money despite appearing to be used as regular currency. There are no appreciably proof-like issues prior to 1816 compared to the later Victorian issues where you get both proof-like and dull field examples which in theory should distinguish between Maundy and currency. Treat pre 1816 as one type of issue.