British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Th Great Ebay Loss

Thought i'd spotted this coin before and was right. 1869 penny recently sold by Martin Platt, he bought it here

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1...=item53dc852654 price equates to around 842 GBP plus whatever the postage was

and so he sold it here for 675 GBP minus his 10% ebay fees which comes to 607 GBP, so a nice loss of 235 GBP.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u..._fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

You can see its the same coin, the dig on Victorias neck gives it away, at that rate he should be bankrupt within a year, unless we see it listed again. I assume he was banking on the fact he had 81 watchers on the coin in the last 12 hours. personally with that many watchers i would have thought it would have went up a little more to, but hey ho B)

Edited by azda

Thought i'd spotted this coin before and was right. 1869 penny recently sold by Martin Platt, he bought it here

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1...=item53dc852654 price equates to around 842 GBP plus whatever the postage was

and so he sold it here for 675 GBP minus his 10% ebay fees which comes to 607 GBP, so a nice loss of 235 GBP.

You can see its the same coin, the dig on Victorias neck gives it away, at that rate he should be bankrupt within a year, unless we see it listed again. I assume he was banking on the fact he had 81 watchers on the coin in the last 12 hours. personally with that many watchers i would have thought it would have went up a little more to, but hey ho B)

You mean all that cleaning he did was in vain? :lol:

Lol, i don't think it was cleaned Peck, he just could'nt up the grade (like he normally does) because of the obvious wear. The original seller had it listed as AU am sure, 1949 had mentioned it to me sometime this year when we were talking about buying key dates and i said i did'nt agree with jmb4homes grade, it seems i was right, the wear on Britannians legs and on Victoria was evident from the original dark pictures from jmb4home

Lol, i don't think it was cleaned Peck, he just could'nt up the grade (like he normally does) because of the obvious wear. The original seller had it listed as AU am sure, 1949 had mentioned it to me sometime this year when we were talking about buying key dates and i said i did'nt agree with jmb4homes grade, it seems i was right, the wear on Britannians legs and on Victoria was evident from the original dark pictures from jmb4home

Just a few observations -- jmb4home listed the coin as XF (EF). Also -- there may not have been a loss on this coin as the auction notes that "this listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

Just a few observations -- jmb4home listed the coin as XF (EF). Also -- there may not have been a loss on this coin as the auction notes that "this listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

The listing ended early because MP had bought it. The grade of EF was obviously not EF, hence the fact when i saw it myself late last year i didn't go for it because i knew the grading was out. MP bought it thinking the grading to be EF and was looking for bigger money than the initial seller was selling for, obviously when it arrived in MPs hand it definately was'nt EF and therefor could'nt list as such, he did make an attempt though listing as GVF/EF but in my eyes merely VF to GVF and thats the reson he lost so much on it.

The listing ended early because MP had bought it. The grade of EF was obviously not EF, hence the fact when i saw it myself late last year i didn't go for it because i knew the grading was out. MP bought it thinking the grading to be EF and was looking for bigger money than the initial seller was selling for, obviously when it arrived in MPs hand it definately was'nt EF and therefor could'nt list as such, he did make an attempt though listing as GVF/EF but in my eyes merely VF to GVF and thats the reson he lost so much on it.

Agreed -- MP did buy it -- but apparently outside of ebay and quite likely for a lower price so he may not have lost money on this coin. Here is a link to another completed auction from the same seller which ended with a 'buy it now' and indicates what the item sold for:

link

Agreed -- MP did buy it -- but apparently outside of ebay and quite likely for a lower price so he may not have lost money on this coin. Here is a link to another completed auction from the same seller which ended with a 'buy it now' and indicates what the item sold for:

link

The 1869 was initially at $1400 the link indicates it was sold for $1350 and judging by jmb4homes prices i very seriously doubt he'd come down the $300 plus in order for MP to break even

On the flip it was marked at XF which is a VF+ in our terms.

The edge bruises were also mentioned.A fair seller it seems. :)

On the flip it was marked at XF which is a VF+ in our terms.

The edge bruises were also mentioned.A fair seller it seems. :)

A fair seller thats always wanting book prices unfortunately. Pity other ebay sellers are more ecinomical with the truth ;)

The 1869 was initially at $1400 the link indicates it was sold for $1350 and judging by jmb4homes prices i very seriously doubt he'd come down the $300 plus in order for MP to break even

You're right, Dave, the 1869 was on sale initially from jmb4home at $1400, but in the last few weeks he reduced it to $1350 still as a buy it now. I know, because I'd got a shortcut to it, and was keeping an eye on it. I'd been toying with the idea of going for it myself, and was hoping the pound would rise against the dollar.

The $1350 is the last buy it now offer price. MP obviously contacted jmb4home (John Bailey) and negotiated a private purchase outside of e bay. How much reduced from $1350 that was, is anybody's guess. But I wonder if he also bought this very nice 1864 as part of the deal at a collectively reduced price for the pair.

Pure speculation on my part. I concede I may be completely wrong. But it would make sense given that John sends out a monthly stock list to all his previous customers, which includes coins already on e bay.

Edited by 1949threepence

In order for MP to make any profit from that sale JB would have to have come down quite a distance on that 1869, at the very least $300 just to break even on the figure that MP Sold it for and there's not many dealers who'd come down that distance for such a key date in that grade

Am I the only one who thinks it looks cleaned and retoned in the ebay listing? This begs the question why anyone would want to pay Spink book prices on an impaired item. It might be reasonably difficult to get hold of in top grade, but you see quite a lot of low to mid grade pieces.

From JMBs pics the toning does look uneven, maybe the reason he took pics in the dark lol

You're kidding me!! The original pictures show a penny with a typical dark appearance for a bun penny. The relisted item is about three stops photographic exposure lighter and a pale orangey coppery colour! If that's not "cleaned up", or at the very least "paled up" then I'm Barrack Obama...

Am I the only one who thinks it looks cleaned and retoned in the ebay listing? This begs the question why anyone would want to pay Spink book prices on an impaired item. It might be reasonably difficult to get hold of in top grade, but you see quite a lot of low to mid grade pieces.

No, you're not the only one Rob. See above - my original remark and now reply

It looked cleaned on one of the original sellers pics, the rest appeared to have a coating of genuine 140 year old dust. The lightened pictures in the second sale just served to enhance the cleaned effect.

then I'm Barrack Obama...

...and let's face it, Barack Obama isn't even Barack Obama :lol:

Is Peck of African Carribean descent then? :lol: Are you swinging big guy? :lol:

In order for MP to make any profit from that sale JB would have to have come down quite a distance on that 1869, at the very least $300 just to break even on the figure that MP Sold it for and there's not many dealers who'd come down that distance for such a key date in that grade

I wouldn't be surprised if he bought the 1869 + the 1864, for a negotiated price of $2000 for the pair.

I wouldn't be surprised if he bought the 1869 + the 1864, for a negotiated price of $2000 for the pair.

Time will tell Mike

It looked cleaned on one of the original sellers pics, the rest appeared to have a coating of genuine 140 year old dust. The lightened pictures in the second sale just served to enhance the cleaned effect.

So was it cleaned again after the first sale, or is the startingly different appearance down to varying photographic takes ?

Edited by 1949threepence

Time will tell Mike

Well if he did buy the 1864, it's not on sale yet. In fact there's not much at all on his e bay page at present.

You're kidding me!! The original pictures show a penny with a typical dark appearance for a bun penny. The relisted item is about three stops photographic exposure lighter and a pale orangey coppery colour! If that's not "cleaned up", or at the very least "paled up" then I'm Barrack Obama...

Pleased to meet you Mr President ;)

Is Peck of African Carribean descent then? :lol: Are you swinging big guy? :lol:

Not last time I looked in the mirror. But then, maybe Martin Platt had got to me first :lol::lol::lol:

So was it cleaned again after the first sale, or is the startingly different appearance down to varying photographic takes ?

Even several applications of "Photoshop Levels" wouldn't turn a normal very dark brown bun penny into a cleaned one. I'm guessing 'cleaned'..

Not last time I looked in the mirror. But then, maybe Martin Platt had got to me first :lol::lol::lol:

Even several applications of "Photoshop Levels" wouldn't turn a normal very dark brown bun penny into a cleaned one. I'm guessing 'cleaned'..

I can't beleive MP would take a loss on a coin. Alway possible he was the higheat bidder, bit of protection :ph34r:

It was bought by sidcrampton, he also Said he didn't think its been cleaned