British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

£400 for a Penny ?

Thought of you lot the other day....

Took the first of our new season lambs to the abbatoir the other day, first time I have done such a thing and was interested to see how everything works. Would you believe the carcasses are graded according to how heavily muscled they are and how much fat there is. The grade of your carcass determines the price and there is a european wide standard grading scale. Thing is though, not everybody adheres to it and disagreements on grade are common. We got close on £100 for ours. Next day, took some more in, but this time to market. Similar lambs in every way, fetched £80 because they got a different grade.

Sound familiar to anyone ?

Took the first of our new season lambs to the abbatoir the other day, first time I have done such a thing and was interested to see how everything works. Would you believe the carcasses are graded according to how heavily muscled they are and how much fat there is. The grade of your carcass determines the price and there is a european wide standard grading scale. Thing is though, not everybody adheres to it and disagreements on grade are common. We got close on £100 for ours. Next day, took some more in, but this time to market. Similar lambs in every way, fetched £80 because they got a different grade.

It does sound familiar, the lambs to the slaughter part reminds me of Martin Platts customers :lol:

There are definite parallels with provenance here. e.g. The ex Lockett provenanced pieces in Spink's sale this morning went for way over a pro-rata increase above admittedly slightly inferior grades, but otherwise similar coins. In the case of the 6 Eliz.I 2nd issue pennies, lots 673-678 went as follows. 673 ex RCL gVF 340, 674 creased VF passed, 675 ex RCL gVF 340, 676 VF 50, 677 edge chip Fine 20, 678 ex RCL VF 260. All +24% premium. So a provenance added 100-200ish.

I've not had any joy yet. Came second to a man with much deeper pockets as I discovered I would at the weekend. :(

Edited by Rob

There are definite parallels with provenance here. e.g. The ex Lockett provenanced pieces in Spink's sale this morning went for way over a pro-rata increase above admittedly slightly inferior grades, but otherwise similar coins. In the case of the 6 Eliz.I 2nd issue pennies, lots 673-678 went as follows. 673 ex RCL gVF 340, 674 creased VF passed, 675 ex RCL gVF 340, 676 VF 50, 677 edge chip Fine 20, 678 ex RCL VF 260. All +24% premium. So a provenance added 100-200ish.

I've not had any joy yet. Came second to a man with much deeper pockets as I discovered I would at the weekend. :(

It's a trend unfortunately. Went to the last Warwick & Warwick and for the first time came home with nothing. Not a sausage. B*ggerall. Two people, one seemimngly called Mark(?) seemed to be hoovering everything up and nobody else got a look in.

The lamb chops I got from Tesco's the other day must have been 'clear date' and they'd been artificially toned.

Haven't seen you around much lately 400. Still on the Armada?

I wish.

That was when I lived on the Kent/Sussex borders. Now that I have relocated to North Essex, I find I am living in a beer desert. IPA and Woodfordes Wherry ?

Exceedingly poor fare.

Guilty of absence sir - it's taken me a while to adjust to the new lifestyle. Hopefully becoming more settled now and might even resume the penny collecting. Then again, I might look at something else because I don't have the money I once had and I notice prices haven't come down.

How's the dealing coming along ?

I wish.

That was when I lived on the Kent/Sussex borders. Now that I have relocated to North Essex, I find I am living in a beer desert. IPA and Woodfordes Wherry ?

Exceedingly poor fare.

Guilty of absence sir - it's taken me a while to adjust to the new lifestyle. Hopefully becoming more settled now and might even resume the penny collecting. Then again, I might look at something else because I don't have the money I once had and I notice prices haven't come down.

Unfortunately 400 prices won't come down, farthings are a cheaper option :ph34r:

Up and down but everybody says the same. Seems like you've had a complete change of occupation too, quite envious at the moment but December...

Wherry's OK but don't get me started on poxy Greene King IPA!

Up and down but everybody says the same. Seems like you've had a complete change of occupation too, quite envious at the moment but December...

Wherry's OK but don't get me started on poxy Greene King IPA!

You have email from me Derek

Unfortunately 400 prices won't come down, farthings are a cheaper option :ph34r:

I stopped collecting sovereigns years ago because they were just too small, don't see farthings as an option. I've just about finished 1895 to 1936 in true BU, ok a few gaps, I just don't see the point of starting something I can't finish with the bun head series....

All East Anglian beer is muck, Derek, trust me and heaped upon that shame must be added the fact that they have no decent rugby teams.

I stopped collecting sovereigns years ago because they were just too small, don't see farthings as an option. I've just about finished 1895 to 1936 in true BU, ok a few gaps, I just don't see the point of starting something I can't finish with the bun head series....

All East Anglian beer is muck, Derek, trust me and heaped upon that shame must be added the fact that they have no decent rugby teams.

You must be going to the wrong pubs....IPA is in my veins.I also enjoy Abbot Ruddles County & Adnams offerings

A few non E Anglian beers appeal like Taylors Landlord,Pedigree,Tanglefoot etc.

Rugby at grass roots level also thrives ;)

We also don't like strangers. :ph34r:

You must be going to the wrong pubs....IPA is in my veins.I also enjoy Abbot Ruddles County & Adnams offerings

Being born and bred in Green King country (North West Essex) I find a drop of lemonade does wonders to perk the beer up a bit.

I wish.

Exceedingly poor fare.

Anywhere near my home town, Chelmsford, 400 ?

Not really 1949, a few miles south of Colchester on the coast - right in the middle of the Parachute Regiment's firing ranges. Can be awfully noisy at times.

But you do have great detecting land!! :D

I don't get dead sheep delivered from the internet, even though I am Welsh!

What a morbid comparison.

I don't know but there must be a big mark up for someone along the way. What we pay for a couple of slices of meat in the supermarket compared to what farmers get for a whole animal seems ridiculous.

I don't get dead sheep delivered from the internet, even though I am Welsh!

What a morbid comparison.

Plenty of people do however, direct buying from the farm is very much on the rise.

Anyhow, the point I was making is that wherever items are bought or sold, there is a 'grading' system which seems to be subjective according to whether one is buying or selling and related to the strength of the vendor's position - if demand for an item is high, then you generally find the grades are 'ambitious'.

Not really 1949, a few miles south of Colchester on the coast - right in the middle of the Parachute Regiment's firing ranges. Can be awfully noisy at times.

Yeah, I bet it can, 400. Although Colchester is a nice City.

The inhabitants weren't saying that after Boudicca paid it an official visit. In fact, they weren't saying ANYTHING seeing how they were all dead or fled. :D

The inhabitants weren't saying that after Boudicca paid it an official visit. In fact, they weren't saying ANYTHING seeing how they were all dead or fled. :D

Is it Boudicca or Boadicea ? Never sure :blink:

I think it's like the difference between Jesus and Joshua - one got more popular quite a while after the other (original). So I'm thinking Boudicca is the older spelling? And therefore more authentic. Not sure how far back Boadicea goes (Victorians? LOL)

I think it's like the difference between Jesus and Joshua - one got more popular quite a while after the other (original). So I'm thinking Boudicca is the older spelling? And therefore more authentic. Not sure how far back Boadicea goes (Victorians? LOL)

It's just I'm sure it always used to be Boadicea, then suddenly seemed to change to Boudicca without discussion or warning. Bit like Bombay to Mumbai.

Boadicea all the way & I'm Iceni related with a bit of Roman,Celt and Viking thrown in no doubt.

Mumbai had initially to be explained to me...I thought the Company that I was working for had changed their IT back up from Bombay. :o

Yes they were still crap and about as much use as a cat employed as a mouse catcher in a fish factory.