British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coindome

Coppers for scrap - all to charity

Hi

I've been asked to dispose of a load of coins belonging to my late Uncle and all proceeds to go to our Chemotherapy Unit and Air Ambulance.

I'm guessing most won't be of particular interest here but includes sets, proofs, some singles, modern crowns, foreign and lots and lots of copper.

I could really do with selling the copper which is massively bulky and heavy (say 15kg). My first question is whether it is legal to sell as scrap? I know there are lots of dodgy dealings with copper theft etc. but presumably scrap merchants would be interested especially as I could authenticate its origins. Are they allowed to melt it? If not, is there a legal way?

Most coins are post 1860 and largely 20th century tho some Vics. There are a lot which are metal detecting finds and therefore green in colour. Some are old, I can recognise GIII and even GII but they are poor. I don't really want to go to the trouble of auctions but I'd be quite prepared to let anyone sift through and search for types which they could keep for nothing (within reason) before disposal.

If anyone has any brilliant ideas to help, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

PS I've got more questions which I'll try to post later separately.

Just a bit of fun, one of the Victorian pennies is in truely fantastic grade. You can see brilliant fine detail in the hair, also with the reverse. However it must have spent the majority of its life underground. There are areas of corrosion and a general glowing green colour like an emerald sea ! Worthless as a collector item but attractive none the less. Can you imagine somebody losing what might have been a lustrous Penny like that?

When you start thinking about the history - it kind of blows the mind ! :rolleyes:

You could give the whole lot to a charity of your choice (the scrap stuff that is) and they will most likely have a contract with an auction house somewhere. Alternatively approach your local auctioneer and tell him where the proceeds are going and they mau well sell at a commission free rate.

As regards scrapping them there is no problem in legislation as long as they are not legal tender, which these obviously won't be.

Edited by argentumandcoins

contact SELL-TO.us they paid me a very fair price and collected with CASH payment or I was invited to go to there shop!

it's their spam, not there spam

contact SELL-TO.us they paid me a very fair price and collected with CASH payment or I was invited to go to there shop!

:D

Maybe thems do lones until payday. :D

:D

Maybe thems do lones until payday. :D

LOL, and remember folks - it's LOSE not LOOSE :D

LOL, and remember folks - it's LOSE not LOOSE :D

Or in this case, lost. I deleted the post and blocked the account. And the other one from Shenzhan too.

Sign in to follow this