British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Pieces_of_History

Tealby Penny

This coin type I know is quite rare, a Tealby Penny of Henry II. It was originally bought from Timelines Collectibles auction 19/03/10.

English Medieval - Henry II - Tealby - London - Acard1.13 grams.1167-1170 AD. Bust F. London. Acard. Obv: bust with sceptre and +HEN[ ]X legend. Rev: short cross with crosslet in angles with +ACA[...

jzw2g5.jpg

99jjhk.jpg

Asking 140 GBP

This coin type I know is quite rare, a Tealby Penny of Henry II. It was originally bought from Timelines Collectibles auction 19/03/10.

Asking 140 GBP

I appreciate the historic value of early Mediaeval pennies etc. but when you compare them with Greek or Roman and even some Saxon coins, they were rubbish.

Asking 140 GBP

I appreciate the historic value of early Mediaeval pennies etc. but when you compare them with Greek or Roman and even some Saxon coins, they were rubbish.

In what sense rubbish? How hard is it to find a Greek or Roman these days?.. Coins of this era are so scarce it makes up for anything else - scarcity is exotic!..That's what turns on a lot of collectors I think. Surely an item like this can find its way into a collectors home!?..

In what sense rubbish? How hard is it to find a Greek or Roman these days?.. Coins of this era are so scarce it makes up for anything else - scarcity is exotic!..That's what turns on a lot of collectors I think. Surely an item like this can find its way into a collectors home!?..

Of course, it was merely an observation that coin quality if not technology had gone backwards in the 700-odd years between the fall of the Roman empire in the west and the reign of Henry II. Tealby pennies are rare and interesting things but in terms of their actual quality of workmanship when compared with those of the earlier civilizations, they are indeed... rubbish.

We all know that coins from William II through to the short cross series are scarce or worse, but the problem is that quality deteriorated over that 100 year period. William II's first issue wasn't too bad, but quality progressively deteriorated from thereon. By the time you get to the Tealbys, they are quite frankly, dire, except for the odd nice one. When serious collectors of the series are having to identify the rare mints by die links in order to fill the gap, that becomes unappealing. I can see the attraction of trying to establish where a particular Tealby is from given the effort required, but if you wanted to parade the portraits it would be a paper bag job.

From a personal point of view, I would like 3 Tealbys for the collection - a round one (Carlisle), a square one (probably Ipswich) and a typical one (any mint except for the first two, but top grade). I don't have any yet because they need to cross a 75% or greater legibility threshold for the legend and have a portrait. I'm not holding my breath.

Asking 140 GBP

I agree absolutely. When you look at the technological and artistic achievements of the Ancient Greeks, Romans, Macedonians, and even the best of the Celts, Saxons and Vikings, the early medieval period is crap. It's only when you see the Renaissance 'portrait' coins of Henry VII, and then the earliest millled efforts from Queen Bess, you realise how bad they were.