British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

At the expense of sounding like the archetypal Daily Mail reader, some while ago I sold a batch of nice but not devestating coins to a customer through my website. They are now appearing on e-bay, each one with the grade increased by up to a couple of points e.g. GVF becomes EF etc. Where is the 'rage' emoticon when I need it!

Sounds like Martin Platt, but As they say, a sale is a sale, also bear in mind Derek the old adage, one Mans grade may not be anothers, even though you wrote the book lol

Edited by azda

Get drunk Derek, helps enormously I find.

In fact, it seems to be becoming my default reaction to almost any situation.....

Get drunk Derek, helps enormously I find.

In fact, it seems to be becoming my default reaction to almost any situation.....

are you still a rolling stone, 400?

how does it feel..?

At the risk of incurring the members wrath;

Yes mate, I spent a lot of yesterday manually plucking lambs to rid them of maggots - it's the real world, I love it.

There may be a Dylanesque whiff to your question, but it goes straight over my head because I think he's a scruffy scumbag who can't sing. (you can take the boy out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the boy)

There may be a Dylanesque whiff to your question, but it goes straight over my head because I think he's a scruffy scumbag who can't sing. (you can take the boy out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the boy)

Now I think we might just disagree on that one...

Good to See you're alive, well and possibly sober 400:)

I doubt he'd get as much for them anyway, they know how to judge grades for themselves..

Unfortunately this is not the case with certain ebay sellers (names shall remain nameless for now) but some people are relying on some certain peoples say so and by god eventually they will be stung, unfortunately we cannot mention certain peoples names on this forum because i assume the seller in question has already spoke to the forum owner about my very vocal opinions about him. I'm sure though now all is ok because i've caught him shill bidding and have a sheet as long as your arm about a certain ebay seller...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At the expense of sounding like the archetypal Daily Mail reader, some while ago I sold a batch of nice but not devestating coins to a customer through my website. They are now appearing on e-bay, each one with the grade increased by up to a couple of points e.g. GVF becomes EF etc. Where is the 'rage' emoticon when I need it!

Sounds like typical e bay seller routine. Don't worry, most of us can see through it.

Yes mate, I spent a lot of yesterday manually plucking lambs to rid them of maggots - it's the real world, I love it.

Good for you, 400!

I spent 9 hours down a trench looking for a mains water leak, so I'm a lot scruffier than any posing pop star, and...

016.jpg

...I found it!

This is nearly 5 feet below ground level !

By the looks of it you didn't find any coins while digging Declan, bummer, all that dirt for nada :lol:

Good for you, 400!

I spent 9 hours down a trench looking for a mains water leak, so I'm a lot scruffier than any posing pop star, and...

016.jpg

I hope your trench was securely shored.

Did you try divineing rods?

...I found it!

Good for you, 400!

016.jpg

...I found it!

I have also done that, although mine was a silly little leak in comparison to that. That looks an expensive one at £1 a cubic metre, well done.

I have also done that, although mine was a silly little leak in comparison to that. That looks an expensive one at £1 a cubic metre, well done.

Well, it would have been a darn sight more expensive if she'd got proper trench digging people in from the water board (people who would shore up their trench properly, Peter! :ph34r:), rather than the itinerant freelancing hippy next door...

Actually, thinking about it, have you thought of putting some of your stuff on e bay, Derek. You might shift one or two bits of stock that are presently just sitting there dormant, as it were.

Edited by 1949threepence

Actually, thinking about it, have you thought of putting some of your stuff on e bay, Derek. You might shift one or two bits of stock that are presently just sitting there dormant, as it were.

I do sell the bum end of various bulk lots on e-bay but that's about it at present. I know it is not unusual for coins to sit in dealers' trays for many a year and that's okay, these pieces can happily hang around with prices periodically adjusted to reflect market trends until the right buyer comes along. I had considered starting an e-bay shop but for the moment I am happy with my website.

Like many dealers I do frequently buy coins on e-bay which I consider to be undervalued and this has so far been reasonably successful both in terms of buying in and selling on. I have however noticed a trend away from items being sold in the auction format towards Buy It Nows which, if it continues could restrict the supply of stock to the trade.

I do sell the bum end of various bulk lots on e-bay but that's about it at present. I know it is not unusual for coins to sit in dealers' trays for many a year and that's okay, these pieces can happily hang around with prices periodically adjusted to reflect market trends until the right buyer comes along. I had considered starting an e-bay shop but for the moment I am happy with my website.

Like many dealers I do frequently buy coins on e-bay which I consider to be undervalued and this has so far been reasonably successful both in terms of buying in and selling on. I have however noticed a trend away from items being sold in the auction format towards Buy It Nows which, if it continues could restrict the supply of stock to the trade.

Perhaps those people selling their undervalued coins have also noticed that they sold cheaply, hence the rush of BINs

Indeed. Like the EF1865 5 over 3 penny, which is currently going for £450 as a BIN. Maybe slightly underpriced ?

There are, however, several very nice high end auction pennies being sold by Mr Martin Platt !!! An EF 1868, a GVF 1869, an absolutely gorgeous BU 1888, and an UNC 1895 2mm. + 1860 & 1869 nUNC Gothic Head florins.

The 1895 2mm, is alreay at £620 with 2 days to go.

Maybe what you did'nt notice is that 1 of his SPECIAL friends is also bidding in the 2mm ;)

Just Look through the bid sheet and see whio's bidded on his coins the most in the last 30 days

Azda,

I think some of your commentary might be doing some good with the "Special" Dealer you have been talking about. Did you notice he is not using the "private bidder" concept anymore?

Yes bob i did notice, but there was one man i didn't mention and he's having a ball on the 2mm, always bids, unfortunately never wins lol.

Have you noticed that most of the pictures (and, it has to be said, the coins are amazing) on the Tony Clayton site are contributed by the said Mr. Platt?

Have you noticed that most of the pictures (and, it has to be said, the coins are amazing) on the Tony Clayton site are contributed by the said Mr. Platt?

Yes, Declan, I have & as you say, the coins are breathtaking.