British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

col

wrongly struck 20p coin?

i need some advice on this coin please the royal mint said that 20p coins start from a round blank but this one is almost like a penny in the middle and 20p on the out side , http://www.picturetrail.com/colinpics the pictures are on here i have taken a few pictures of it. many thanks

I'm not sure whether it is as struck or post-mint. Is the thickness correct? I don't know how they change from a round blank to a heptagonal coin. Is the shape formed by a collar or cut out from the circular blank? The thing that makes me think it might be post-mint is the TWENTY legend which appears to wrap itself over the edge. If the die makes the impression from above, you would not expect it to go around a corner. If this is an illusion and the TWENTY is cut to a consistent depth across the characters, then the blank used was likely wrong and for another type of coin.

hi, it seems to be the same size as a 20p and shape but round on the inside but the same depth as a penny would the mint have used a penny press over the 20p to cause the round inprint on front and back of it, im really clueless as im new to collecting coins and notes for my sons, so all help and info is much appreciated.

It could be a mint-error, but the colour doesn't look right for a penny blank... If you dont mind waiting a little while, you could give the Royal Mint a call and ask them for an assessment... Pop it in the post to them, they'll have a look and send it back with a nice letter - this would amount to a certificate of authenticity! They can take a month or so, but could be worth it!

I'd be inclined to agree with Rob with it being post mint but you never know. Still interesting trying to figure it out best of luck.

yh i think i will do that, find out what has happened, once i get a reply i will be back to let you know what the out come is , thanks for you help