British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BobTheFish_I'm_a_Guest

0_o Guests can post almost anywhere?!?!?!

I know there's a members only forum but shouldnt u give people a reason to join instead of just letting them post without bothering to register.

At first, when it was just me and the odd passing tumbleweed I was greatful for any visitors, so I didn't like to hinder them posting in anyway, hence making it completely open to veiw and post in.

Now it's much bigger I was thinking about enforcing registration, what do you lot think?

There are many other benefits for members, including personal messaging to other forum users, the abilty to change your avatar, title, signature and other settings, also the way in which you see the forum can be customised to a degree, and your messages get counted.

If they want to join, they can join. Notice that hardly any of the guests who post/join to post pictures ever come back. I think your policy is correct.

Sorry about that person guys, he has his own forum and has very different policies.

What forum does he have William, and how do you know him?

Oli: Yes, I mean if everybody became a member just to post images and ask one question we'd have so many dead members laying around, and then I'd have to cut them back and risk chopping off regular members again! :blink:

What forum does he have William, and how do you know him?

He has a pokemon forum, and yes I know him :)

At first, when it was just me and the odd passing tumbleweed I was greatful for any visitors, so I didn't like to hinder them posting in anyway, hence making it completely open to veiw and post in.

Now it's much bigger I was thinking about enforcing registration, what do you lot think?

There are many other benefits for members, including personal messaging to other forum users, the abilty to change your avatar, title, signature and other settings, also the way in which you see the forum can be customised to a degree, and your messages get counted.

No! Enforsed registration would just not do...

When i am posting from school/friends house, i do not want to log in because otherwise it does not clear the cookies from my computer, and leaves me logged out...Guests post all the time, but there are not many guests that post more then twice...

Enforced regestration would be a good idea because it would lower the 'I've found a 1967 coin, it is a orangy colour and I would like to know what it is worth. Do you know where I could sell it and how much for. Email me please at jon.styles@btinternet.com. Thanks.'

Enforced regestration would be a good idea because it would lower the 'I've found a 1967 coin, it is a orangy colour and I would like to know what it is worth. Do you know where I could sell it and how much for. Email me please at jon.styles@btinternet.com. Thanks.'

Hmmmm, that's what I thought, but there isn't really a massive number of people doing that. Most do come back to get the results in the forum.

I'll keep it the way it is at the moment, and keep an eye on things.

And william is on my forum and he is the highest posting member after me, and hes an admin.

On a POKEMON forum, lets laugh at him..........wait, I own it.... <_<

Show me a link then, I want to see other forums.

Yes, laugh at me for being on a pokémon forum. You created it! :P

Show me a link then, I want to see other forums.

Ok then: s7.invisionfree.com/Poke_Thing

I want to see other forums.

Chris

Here’s one similar to yours [nothing to do with coins though]

Yorkshire Divers

You may get a few ideas from it.

Guests can only browse and not post on this one.

Cheers

Bob

These are the exact questions we should welcome. Yes, we know that a 1967 penny has virtually no value, but if someone unfamiliar with coins finds one, and is curious enough to ask about it, there are 2 possibilities:

#1, he is only interested in the money, and therefore, a quick but polite answer will send him on his way, never to be seen again.

#2, he has an interest in coins, but may feel insecure about joining a forum that is full of (in his opinion) advanced collectors who know a lot more than him. these are the ones we want to post, even if anonymously. we need to encourage them. they are already hooked, we just need to reel them in. they may be the ones with jars of pennies in the attic that grandmother put up there back in the 30's, full of widow-head pennies in XF and aUNC.

Well said Kuhli. Everyone is a beginner once and the best response we can give to questions like this one is one which is honest and encouraging but never patronising or dismissive.

I don't know what it's like in the States, but it appears that many people in the UK have only a hazy grasp of history and consequently anything produced before they were born - even a 1967 penny - is old and therefore potentially interesting. The fact that they find anything historical interesting in the first place is to be welcomed in a culture whose collective sense of chronological history often appears to stretch back little further than the last decade.