British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

SionGilbey

Photos of coins

So far I'm just using daylight but would be good to have a light set up for taking pictures after sunset etc. So any recommendations for bulbs/setups be nice but don't worry to much as there is already a fair bit about this here any way.

The choice of bulb will depend on your camera's ability to determine an accurate white balance. Some cameras introduce a slight colour cast into the photo, so it's worth a bit of experimentation with different light sources to see what works for you.

Thanks for your thoughts Nick shall get experimenting then.

Here we are with a smaller coin.

DSCF2618.jpg

DSCF2619.jpg

So far I'm just using daylight but would be good to have a light set up for taking pictures after sunset etc. So any recommendations for bulbs/setups be nice but don't worry to much as there is already a fair bit about this here any way.

That coin shows up the limitations of your camera (the first two are absolutely fine, by the way) - you've shown it far too large in relation to its original size and shown up all the softness and noise of hyping the resolution beyond its natural boundaries.

FWIW, the picture (of the half farthing) doesn't need to be so large - we would still see its relevant detail if it was only 4X original. If you want it larger, you need to find a way of going 'close up and macro', assuming your camera can do that.

Here we are with a smaller coin.

DSCF2618.jpg

DSCF2619.jpg

That coin shows up the limitations of your camera (the first two are absolutely fine, by the way) - you've shown it far too large in relation to its original size and shown up all the softness and noise of hyping the resolution beyond its natural boundaries.

FWIW, the picture (of the half farthing) doesn't need to be so large - we would still see its relevant detail if it was only 4X original. If you want it larger, you need to find a way of going 'close up and macro', assuming your camera can do that.

I totally agree with you I am some what limited by my camera but as things stand I can't justify another camera. I shall see what I can do about shrinking the image size down to say roughly 4x perhaps. Thanks for your input.

I totally agree with you I am some what limited by my camera but as things stand I can't justify another camera. I shall see what I can do about shrinking the image size down to say roughly 4x perhaps. Thanks for your input.

I'd say it's worth retaking the shot at your cam's maximum res and posting here, whatever size it comes out. That picture Is ok for identification but there's a lot of softness and artefacts and general noise on it too.

I'd say it's worth retaking the shot at your cam's maximum res and posting here, whatever size it comes out. That picture Is ok for identification but there's a lot of softness and artefacts and general noise on it too.

Well here's some more done with max res but resized after on my laptop also these were done with bulbs(flourescentant strip light+ daylight energy saving bulb in lamp)

DSCF2676.jpg

DSCF2678.jpg

Well here's some more done with max res but resized after on my laptop also these were done with bulbs(flourescentant strip light+ daylight energy saving bulb in lamp)

DSCF2676.jpg

DSCF2678.jpg

Apart from the colour (that would be the lighting used I'm guessing?) those look much better. A bit smaller but the detail is much much clearer, and leaves no room for doubt.

Yeah I'm going to have to look in to lighting admittadly I used what was to hand. Just done some more shoots in daylight(overcast) on the windowsill here's a couple.

In a coin capsule:

1931TailsSA.jpg

Straight up shoot:

1911Tails.jpg

Daylight seems best but in the winter its(daylight) at a premium so the right kind of lighting set up is definatly needed.

I do exactly the same AJ, balcony ledge and slightly shaded natural light

1852VictoriaShillingREV.jpg

Yeah I'm going to have to look in to lighting admittadly I used what was to hand. Just done some more shoots in daylight(overcast) on the windowsill here's a couple.

In a coin capsule:

1931TailsSA.jpg

Straight up shoot:

1911Tails.jpg

Daylight seems best but in the winter its(daylight) at a premium so the right kind of lighting set up is definatly needed.

Those two look perfectly good shots (a nice comfortable size, cough cough)

Thanks for the response this forum is great it's really informative and not just the photos of coins section. Peckris what does 'a nice comfortable size, cough cough' mean are you reffering to me resizing the images? Because yes I took the photos at max res then cropped them and resized by 50%.

Thanks for the response this forum is great it's really informative and not just the photos of coins section. Peckris what does 'a nice comfortable size, cough cough' mean are you reffering to me resizing the images? Because yes I took the photos at max res then cropped them and resized by 50%.

No, peck is reffering to my image sizes

O I see thanks for clearing that one up azda.

O I see thanks for clearing that one up azda.

Yes, that's what i meant :D I'm going to have to get used to the size of Dave's pictures, and he's going to have to get used to my moans :lol:

Truly gorgeous coin the copper Twopence of George III. Use the lighting, I only have a cheapo camera.

30bh3jk.jpg

2rp391t.jpg

Nice pictures. I think that you might want different lighting though but the camera seems up to the job.

:P