British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

SionGilbey

Photos of coins

Can anyone suggest a cheap digital camera which I can buy just for photographing coins? I know it needs a macro mode and I will need lighting and a tripod as discussed above. I can't see me using the camera for anything else so possibly I could get something which plugs into the USB port and uses the pc screen for display? I presume digital microscopes are not suitable though?

Myself, Declan and Hus all use a Canon powershot A480.

It will knock you back around £60 Steve and ticks all of the above boxes.

I don't use a tripod or any lighting other than natural daylight.

Can anyone suggest a cheap digital camera which I can buy just for photographing coins? I know it needs a macro mode and I will need lighting and a tripod as discussed above. I can't see me using the camera for anything else so possibly I could get something which plugs into the USB port and uses the pc screen for display? I presume digital microscopes are not suitable though?

Thanks John, I think I can stretch to £60! If no one has a better idea I'll get one next week. I'm fed up looking at me poor scans.

Thanks John, I think I can stretch to £60! If no one has a better idea I'll get one next week. I'm fed up looking at me poor scans.

On the other hand, you should be able to pick up a DSLR plus macro lens and still have change from a grand ....

On the other hand, you should be able to pick up a DSLR plus macro lens and still have change from a grand ....

Only really worth it if you're a dealer.

Otherwise get a decent camera for a few hundred and spend the rest on coins.

Went to Jessops today. They didn't have the A480 (they thought it was an older model) but suggested the A3300 IS, for £120, plus a mini tripod. I quickly set it up this evening, in macro mode, but can't take any close ups, presumably because the lighting isn't good enough. Will have a proper go tomorrow in daylight.

Edited by Accumulator

Went to Jessops today. They didn't have the A480 (they thought it was an older model) but suggested the A3300 IS, for £120, plus a mini tripod. I quickly set it up this evening, in macro mode, but can't take any close ups, presumably because the lighting isn't good enough. Will have a proper go tomorrow in daylight.

I just read a review of it that didn't even mention that it has a macro mode. I hope you're sure about that? Take it back if it doesn't, as that's the one thing you need for taking pictures of coins.

A drug dealer Sion?

There aren't many coin dealers that could or would lash out a grand on a camera :)

A drug dealer Sion?

There aren't many coin dealers that could or would lash out a grand on a camera :)

Or, I suppose, rich.

Personally, I couldn't swap a few extra megapixels for a couple of really nice coins.

Plenty of A480's online (ie argos just over £80)

However it gets slated on batteries and its viewfinder.

Ok, here's my first attempt using the A3300 IS. I had the coin about 8cm from the lens, using fully auto instead of macro mode (it seems just the same and focuses better). The coin fills less than half the screen, but with 16MP I don't think that matters. On a windowsill in daylight, not sunlight as its a bit dull here today. I downloaded the image and cropped it to 1500 x 1500 pixels (but reduced it further for posting). Any comments, suggestions or otherwise much appreciated!

**Since posting this I've noticed that macro IS better so will take a comparison shot and post below!

post-5762-023339100 1306751001_thumb.jpg

Edited by Accumulator

Actually not any better. I need to play some more.

post-5762-028904600 1306752009_thumb.jpg

Edited by Accumulator

Here's one taken in better light in macro mode. The better light allows the camera to have the coin and focus at a closer distance.

post-5762-023224400 1306760098_thumb.jpg

And a final pic showing a detail (the damaged die around '0') at 1:1 extracted from the original photo.

post-5762-041291500 1306760529_thumb.jpg

I think you have got it cracked....nice pictures & coin :)

Thanks Peter. I've taken a few more for practice. Here's one of a coin with more lustre:

Edited by Accumulator

For comparison I have scanned (at 1200 dpi) and photographed the same 1895 penny, then cropped both to leave only the detail around Britannia's head. The photo (on the right) is far superior to the scan, so I'm very happy with the results.

post-5762-016023800 1306784980_thumb.jpg

The crucial thing is - has it got a genuine macro mode? It's no good for coin photos if it doesn't.

Well it took me a while but I went in to town and picked up a 'Velbon CX mini' tripod for £18.99. Here's my first results I'm thinking I might have to up the resolution(to maintain quality when I crop on the laptop) as I have to take the shoot slightly further away than if done by hand. Any how here's my first picture so I'm guessing they shall only get better as I keep trying different things.

DSCF2602.jpg

Here's my second attempt I've upped the resolution(MP)and chosen a larger coin which seem to be easier to do than the smaller one's.

DSCF2605.jpg

Now for the other side.

DSCF2613.jpg

Well now to think about smaller coins any suggestion's.

Here we are with a smaller coin.

DSCF2618.jpg

DSCF2619.jpg

So far I'm just using daylight but would be good to have a light set up for taking pictures after sunset etc. So any recommendations for bulbs/setups be nice but don't worry to much as there is already a fair bit about this here any way.

Well it took me a while but I went in to town and picked up a 'Velbon CX mini' tripod for £18.99. Here's my first results I'm thinking I might have to up the resolution(to maintain quality when I crop on the laptop) as I have to take the shoot slightly further away than if done by hand. Any how here's my first picture so I'm guessing they shall only get better as I keep trying different things.

I don't see any reason not to use the highest resolution that your camera can manage. Resolution can always be reduced (if needs be) but it can never be increased.

So far I'm just using daylight but would be good to have a light set up for taking pictures after sunset etc. So any recommendations for bulbs/setups be nice but don't worry to much as there is already a fair bit about this here any way.

The choice of bulb will depend on your camera's ability to determine an accurate white balance. Some cameras introduce a slight colour cast into the photo, so it's worth a bit of experimentation with different light sources to see what works for you.