British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Pitprop

Introduction of ones self

I have joined this forum on the strength of the integrity and honesty of your members.

Reading some of their replies makes a refreshing change to the so called experts dealing off generic textbook descriptions, when all you need is a simple answer validating a mark, curiosity, or dare I say it honest price and valuation.

I have collected coins for manny years now, some like the Christmas 50 pences from the British isles have risen considerably in value. Even the royal mint special collections are worth more than I have originally paid, thanks to the price of silver etc going up.

I also cadged coins from my grandparents who owned a pawn brokers shop some of which may have some higher value?

I just hope your members can help.

I know you like names and dates but its late, and I have only just joined and felt the urge to ask, so I will stand your scorn and offer my little list of questions.

Here goes -

I have a battle of Britain peidfont in f- vf condition looks like it was broke out of a set book price states @ £50-£70? Is this right.

I have a 1 penny in vf condition from Africa are they rare?

I have a coin that says one fourth of a shilling is this rare?

I have an old penny in heavy ware condition that is fixed to another penny, you see a very small hole at the top and can discern the join as they look like 2 different sized coins welded/ pressed together. I think they are inverted on the obverse, again rare or junk.

I have an old 1800 and something gold coloured coin, with George and the dragon on one side and I think it is the head of georgious on the other, at some point it had a naclace scrolled loop attached. When I originally researched the coin in a book I got all gooey as the coin with a clean edge was worth many thousands of pounds! Now I am not an idiot and think that it is more likely to be a copy than an original, but how ccan I be sure?

Thanks for your time and patients.

Pitprop

I also have a coin that has

I have joined this forum on the strength of the integrity and honesty of your members.

Reading some of their replies makes a refreshing change to the so called experts dealing off generic textbook descriptions, when all you need is a simple answer validating a mark, curiosity, or dare I say it honest price and valuation.

I have collected coins for manny years now, some like the Christmas 50 pences from the British isles have risen considerably in value. Even the royal mint special collections are worth more than I have originally paid, thanks to the price of silver etc going up.

I also cadged coins from my grandparents who owned a pawn brokers shop some of which may have some higher value?

I just hope your members can help.

I know you like names and dates but its late, and I have only just joined and felt the urge to ask, so I will stand your scorn and offer my little list of questions.

Here goes -

I have a battle of Britain peidfont in f- vf condition looks like it was broke out of a set book price states @ £50-£70? Is this right.

I have a 1 penny in vf condition from Africa are they rare?

I have a coin that says one fourth of a shilling is this rare?

I have an old penny in heavy ware condition that is fixed to another penny, you see a very small hole at the top and can discern the join as they look like 2 different sized coins welded/ pressed together. I think they are inverted on the obverse, again rare or junk.

I have an old 1800 and something gold coloured coin, with George and the dragon on one side and I think it is the head of georgious on the other, at some point it had a naclace scrolled loop attached. When I originally researched the coin in a book I got all gooey as the coin with a clean edge was worth many thousands of pounds! Now I am not an idiot and think that it is more likely to be a copy than an original, but how ccan I be sure?

Thanks for your time and patients.

Pitprop

I also have a coin that has

Firstly, welcome to the forum. I'll try and answer a few of your questions best i can, others may have a different view.

have a battle of Britain peidfont in f- vf condition looks like it was broke out of a set book price states @ £50-£70? Is this right. (My assumption that the price guide is for Proof, you state yours is F/VF condition so perhaps bullion value)

have a 1 penny in vf condition from Africa are they rare? (Date?)

I have a coin that says one fourth of a shilling is this rare? (Date?)

I have an old penny in heavy ware condition that is fixed to another penny (Many have been joined like this to make them look like a brockage error, brockages are rare, 2 joined together are'nt)

I have an old 1800 and something gold coloured coin (1800 & something doesn't give anyone anything to go by, you have 70 years inbetween Geo III and IIII, a specific date)?

The penny from Africa is dated 1898, the reverse has 1 penny 1898 around a centre picture of a lion, a farmer and a wagon

. The obverse has zuid afrik republic around a bearded blokes head. All detail is in high relief. The only mark is on the bottom outside edge where it has a .25 mm dint

The old penny looks like a George the 3rd from around 1806from the spink 2008 catalogue. There is a .25-.5mm hole in the exergue

There seems to be evidence of mounting around the obverse and a diagonal training around the whole of the coin

The one forth of a shilling is a 1957 piece from Bailiwick of Jersey ef conditionp

The old penny looks like a George the 3rd from around 1806from the spink 2008 catalogue. There is a .25-.5mm hole in the exergue

There seems to be evidence of mounting around the obverse and a diagonal training around the whole of the coin

Yes the diagonal milling is standard for 1806 currency pennies and halfpepnnies (which it could be - the size is the giveaway.) 1806 copper is quite plentiful, as it was a large issue of copper, the first pepnnies for 10 years, There's a lot about, and they only START to get a value above Fine condition. Damaged coins aren't worth very much, especially holes.

You would be able to pick up an 1806 penny in Fine for a few pounds, a halfpenny for even less.

The one forth of a shilling is a 1957 piece from Bailiwick of Jersey ef condition.

The gold coloured coin, is an 1823 gorgeous 1111, Other than the pendent hanging fixture attached to the top edge of the coin it is in vf condition

I checked it against the spunk 2008 catalogue and it is an exact size of the books copy of the George the fourth £2 coin. Number 3798. There is no jbm under the truncation so if it is a copy it is of the proof?

There is no mention of it's edge width- this one is thinner than a 1948 sixpence?

Yes I know this don't really happen, only In fairy tales and I'm not thinking anything other than a copy, unless you tell me different.

One last question

I have a broach with a centered coin

The coin is an 1881 India portugueza meia rupia

The reverse has the head of ludovicus 1 portug: et algars: rex

Any ideas on what these are worth, if anything?

Thanks for your help.

Pitprop

Yes the diagonal milling is standard for 1806 currency pennies and halfpepnnies (which it could be - the size is the giveaway.) 1806 copper is quite plentiful, as it was a large issue of copper, the first pepnnies for 10 years, There's a lot about, and they only START to get a value above Fine condition. Damaged coins aren't worth very much, especially holes.

You would be able to pick up an 1806 penny in Fine for a few pounds, a halfpenny for even less.

Thanks for the advice

It is one thing collecting specific coins of known value, it is another finding the value of a somewhat un charted set of old coins in your possession .

Regards

Pirprop

Think the gold coin could be a.comemorative medallion but it has loads more detail and better colored, what was the difference?

Think the gold coin could be a.comemorative medallion but it has loads more detail and better colored, what was the difference?

From your description of its width Pitprop (< 1948 6d) it wouldn't be a genuine 1823 £2 piece. What's its diameter? There were some very capable toy or model copies produced, it could be one of those? Post a picture, let's have a look.

I work away Monday to Friday so will endeavor to upload one on Friday.

Can I just cut and paste one or do I need to upload it to a site?

I checked it against the spunk 2008 catalogue...

That'll be the one with the pages stuck together then? :D

I checked it against the spunk 2008 catalogue...

That'll be the one with the pages stuck together then? :D

I wish I had not read that while having a swig of tea!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The gold coloured coin, is an 1823 gorgeous 1111, Other than the pendent hanging fixture attached to the top edge of the coin it is in vf condition

I checked it against the spunk 2008 catalogue and it is an exact size of the books copy of the George the fourth £2 coin. Number 3798. There is no jbm under the truncation so if it is a copy it is of the proof?

There is no mention of it's edge width- this one is thinner than a 1948 sixpence?

If its thinner than an 1948 sixpence then I would say its not a coin. It could be a gaming token or could be just a decorative pendent. Only a picture with weight and actual thickness and diameter can shed more light on it.

Arent I- phones predict a text great, you put in spink, it changes it to spunk.

I know I was getting excited about having found something rare, but not that excited!!

Thanks for the tips will try and sort out weight and dimensionswhen I get back on Friday.

Pitprop

PS hope that tea didn't stain your trousers Gary?

I work away Monday to Friday so will endeavor to upload one on Friday.

Can I just cut and paste one or do I need to upload it to a site?

You can upload a picture from your computer as long as it's not >150k. There's an Attachments dialogue below each post when you're creating one.

Guest airaishikawa

My name is Samantha Jesus from Ukraine I work Monday to Saturday as photographic artist here,

My name is Samantha Jesus from Ukraine I work Monday to Saturday as photographic artist here,

On Sunday you do all that window cleaning in your signature I suppose, Miss Jesus.

Bit young for me pet but a canny topset.

It's difficult to think of anything less appropriate than an advert for cleaning on a coin forum. We don't clean anything round here, do we? :unsure:

Nice thrupenny bits Miss Jesus. ;)

Nice thrupenny bits Miss Jesus. ;)

I remember about 15 years ago an occasion when my friend had a documentary film all about window cleaners and window cleaning. There was a really catchy riff playing throughout which I couldn't help humming every time I saw his better half. :ph34r:

Edited by Rob

Genuine links to window cleaning sites and not a threepenny bit in sight - what goes on?

Genuine links to window cleaning sites and not a threepenny bit in sight - what goes on?

Check the profile out, only a subtle hint of what lies beneath though!