British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

Do we know what the €0.50 is made out of?

I was doing my end of year chemistry test yesterday and I turned the paper over and it had a picture of the 50 cent Euro coin. Apparently itt's made out of an alloy called "Nordic Gold" which has a composition (I can remember this from the exam!) of:

Copper 89%

Aluminium 5%

Zinc 5%

Tin 1%

Just a bit of trivia there. We had to say why it was a good compound to use and I said because it is resistant to corrosion (because of the zinc) and that it casts well (on account of the tin I think!).

You obviously haven't actually read anything on my website apart from the forum Oli!

http://www.predecimal.com/euroarticle.htm

Damn I didn't think anyone would know that! I've read all the articles on the main page - the forgeries etc. but that one seemed to slip me by! Hmph that's peeved me. Feel free to delete this then if it's on your site :lol:

No, I'll keep it here - It'll make you look stupid ;)

Lol, that's been done to death many times before!

Hmm it still lacks something to be a real coin... *cough silver* cough...

Call me a precious metal fanatic but no metal is as good as silver for anything. (Except perhaps reacting, resisting and melting, but coin wise that's not really important and in many cases hopefully avoidable) :D

Yes, very humiliating on oli's part :P ...but i must admit that i didnt know that either :)

I never knew that. Try and stick euros in flames and see what happens lol. Very embarrasing for you Oli :P

I had to answer a question on groats, shillings, and florins as part oif my maths mock exam. I got all the marks for that section! :D

Hardly embarassing, I just didn't see the article :huh: