British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

J's Coins

*FOR SALE*

post-6627-030466000 1302548674_thumb.jpgVery good conditioned 1869 victorian penny, selling it to purchase a first car, inherited coin.

Poor picture and no obverse picture won't sell the coin for you, nor will your £4000 price tag.

post-6627-030466000 1302548674_thumb.jpgVery good conditioned 1869 victorian penny, selling it to purchase a first car, inherited coin.

Nice coin.

It's grade is around fine or good fine.

Sadly, this means it's not worth £4000, more like £200 at best.

Sion

how to get a good picture ? it is a really good coin, i just cant get the lighting right for a good pic i can easily upload an obverse one though !

how to get a good picture ? it is a really good coin, i just cant get the lighting right for a good pic i can easily upload an obverse one though !

Lie the coin on a non-reflective flat surface in natural daylight or use a halogen light shining across the coin rather than onto the coin. Hold the camera in a horizontal plane above the coin and use macro setting on your camera. That should give you a decent result. It's very hard to grade from a poorly lit and angled picture such as yours. The detail looks quite strong and although the shield looks flat that is entirely normal for the 1869 penny. There are forgeries of this date however so it would need to be examined in hand by any potential buyer anyway. £4000 is top grade Uncirculated with lustre area and yours is certainly not that good.

my grandad collected coins, until he died in 1985, so it then passed to my gran, then she gave it to me :)

my grandad collected coins, until he died in 1985, so it then passed to my gran, then she gave it to me :)

So probably not a forger then since your grandad knew what he was doing.

If you're planning to sell a few coins to afford a car, I'd buy "Collectors Coins GB" and "Grading British Coins" both available from this site above the posts (amazon).

Wonders what else grandma has left you, but as has been said, pictures can sell a coin, when you've got some decent piccies then come back and lets have a look. The 1869 has a nice clear date, but can be still a poor grade, and grading is everything with coins. Good luck and hope to see you return with some nice pix. P.s max 150kb per post or host it on photobucket and copy and paste the url in your post.