British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I'm beginning to dispair over the prices on ebay, I've been the bride's maid not the bride so to speak on so many occassions now. Anyway after seeing what the two Colin Cooke open 3s went for it was very difficult to make a sound judgement so you would have had to go a long way to have beaten my highest bid. I'm not sure where is the best place to sell rare stuff these days as they seldom perform on ebay, but saying that the auction houses vary greatly also.

In hindsight, I wish I'd gone higher and I believe you got a steal at £330. I think up to £500+ would still have been worthwhile.

The main thing I notice with eBay is that 'expensive' (i.e. genuinely rare and/or in outstanding condition) coins generally go cheaply, while 'cheap' (i.e. less rare and/or poorer condition) coins are often expensive. If that makes sense?

I sell a heap of stuff every week on ebay (as you are well aware Steve) and concur.

Mediocre common dross does okay, silver is obviously very hot at the moment, but quality or rare items do bugger all.

I think if I was wanting to sell something like the open 3 in question I would either put it into the sale I am runing up Norf in August (big plug there) :D or (more sensibly) sell at London Coin Auctions as they are, in my opinion, the likliest house at the moment to maximise a price on a rare penny.

I'm beginning to dispair over the prices on ebay, I've been the bride's maid not the bride so to speak on so many occassions now. Anyway after seeing what the two Colin Cooke open 3s went for it was very difficult to make a sound judgement so you would have had to go a long way to have beaten my highest bid. I'm not sure where is the best place to sell rare stuff these days as they seldom perform on ebay, but saying that the auction houses vary greatly also.

In hindsight, I wish I'd gone higher and I believe you got a steal at £330. I think up to £500+ would still have been worthwhile.

The main thing I notice with eBay is that 'expensive' (i.e. genuinely rare and/or in outstanding condition) coins generally go cheaply, while 'cheap' (i.e. less rare and/or poorer condition) coins are often expensive. If that makes sense?

I bid £555

I sell a heap of stuff every week on ebay (as you are well aware Steve) and concur.

Mediocre common dross does okay, silver is obviously very hot at the moment, but quality or rare items do bugger all.

I think if I was wanting to sell something like the open 3 in question I would either put it into the sale I am runing up Norf in August (big plug there) :D or (more sensibly) sell at London Coin Auctions as they are, in my opinion, the likliest house at the moment to maximise a price on a rare penny.

I was also of that opinion so put a Gouby X and 1909 with dot into London coins and they did bugger all.

this one just gone for £330!!!!

Dread to think what one in decent grade would go for

David

Definitely an open 3...

I was the under bidder at £310 and rather hoped to get it. Now I wish I'd gone more as it's the best I've ever seen too, especially the obverse :(

Have to agree Accumulator, nice OBV, not seen a better one as yet. This guy is stating that this is an open 3, i'm not so sure it is.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280667045407&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D280667045407%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Clearly not an open 3.

I like his caveat "I have been told this is an open 3 but I am no expert"

I might email him and tell him it's actually an Aston Martin DB9S in silver :D

Definitely not an open 3. But it might be Gibbon's Decline And Fall Of The Numismatic Empire :D

Will we be seeing you on telly tomorrow Gary? (Well, not me - I shall be in Tesco with any other local republicans :lol: )

Thanks 1949, I've put it on my watched items now.

You might need to put in a late snipe. The auction finishes on Sunday night, and it's already at £101.00.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it finish at well over £200, despite its rather worn state. But that's rarity for you !!!

Ha ~ £510 in the end !!!

someone put the open 3 design over a 2 and see what happens?

You only have to look at the shape of the 2 in a 1902 penny to see the 3/2 theory is total oblox!

I'll post some high res pictures later

1903.gif

nuff sed!

:)

David

I mostly work with 18th century coins but to me it looks as a wreak strike of the 3 punch corrected by hand.

The same punch may come out quite differently due to the angle of the strike and later engraving.

someone put the open 3 design over a 2 and see what happens?

You only have to look at the shape of the 2 in a 1902 penny to see the 3/2 theory is total oblox!

I'll post some high res pictures later

1903.gif

nuff sed!

David

I mostly work with 18th century coins but to me it looks as a wreak strike of the 3 punch corrected by hand.

The same punch may come out quite differently due to the angle of the strike and later engraving.

I'd have to disagree with this - if you study the two 1903 types, not only is the '3' a COMPLETELY different shape, but actually the whole date is different. The other numerals are essentially the same shape, but are more slender. They must have started even more slender as all 'open 3's are fairly worn and this would make the numerals look thicker. To me it's a whole different attempt to do the date, which didn't work.

Well I don't see them as being very different - but as I mentioned I'm not familiar with these coins. The 190 of both 1903 types seems however to be exactly in the same possition (different from the 1902 year):

post-6657-036587000 1304377338_thumb.jpg

Also the back of the 3 fits more or less (it's a bit difficult to be sure as all I have is the pictures posted above):

post-6657-089045200 1304377351_thumb.jpg

Well I don't see them as being very different - but as I mentioned I'm not familiar with these coins. The 190 of both 1903 types seems however to be exactly in the same possition (different from the 1902 year):

Also the back of the 3 fits more or less (it's a bit difficult to be sure as all I have is the pictures posted above):

The 3s may fit but what about the teeth, they are not in the same place.

As far I can see (from the scans) the 190 plus the teeth (perls) appears to be in the same possition. But the 3s are punched individualy and not in the same place.

Now I'm not saying that it is the same 3 punch - but it's possible that it's the same as the back part looks identical.

Now I'm not saying that it is the same 3 punch - but it's possible that it's the same as the back part looks identical.

So we should all look out for a "narrow 3" 1903, representing the damaged normal 3 before the recut!

:ph34r:

David

Good bit of Photoshopping Gary - that first picture shows (to me) how different the two 3's are. It's like the 1926ME obverse - hard to tell at first, but once you know them, they are clear as daylight.

So we should all look out for a "narrow 3" 1903, representing the damaged normal 3 before the recut!

:ph34r:

David

Hope not ;) guess (if any correction was done) that it was done before the dies were hardened and any coins struck.

Here is another 1903, Open 3 on eBay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300555026949&category=3397&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_2860wt_1139

I have sent a note to the seller, noting that this coin is not an open 3, but he continues to advertise it as a open 3. Maybe he needs a few more respondents! LOL!

Here is another 1903, Open 3 on eBay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_2860wt_1139

I have sent a note to the seller, noting that this coin is not an open 3, but he continues to advertise it as a open 3. Maybe he needs a few more respondents! LOL!

I sent him a link to this thread, and it has now been withdrawn

David