British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Wouldnt it be nice if we could build a time-machine and go have a look!

Wouldnt it be nice if we could build a time-machine and go have a look!

And much quicker to, i'd obviously pick up a UNC open 3 along the way and anything else i could lay my hands on :ph34r:

Exactly My Point cerbera, Why nothing better when there's normal 1903s in UNC

At least one will be out there somewhere, I would put money on it. It has happened with all other varieties (except for the obvious die number coins etc) and I am sure it will eventually happen with the 1903 open 3 so keep looking!!!

Ok, you can have the open 3 penny, but I get the 1342 Double Florins - all of them!

Ok, you can have the open 3 penny, but I get the 1342 Double Florins - all of them!

Eek! Typo... meant 1344!

At least one will be out there somewhere, I would put money on it. It has happened with all other varieties (except for the obvious die number coins etc) and I am sure it will eventually happen with the 1903 open 3 so keep looking!!!

this one just gone for £330!!!!

Dread to think what one in decent grade would go for

David

David

To be fair, that's the best condition one I've ever seen. The obverse is VF and the reverse GF so I'm not too surprised.

Is it just me (no pun intended) or does anyone else think it is a standard 3?, the top and bottom curve in far too much for it to be an open 3.

Is it just me (no pun intended) or does anyone else think it is a standard 3?, the top and bottom curve in far too much for it to be an open 3.

It looks like an 'open 3' to me. Can't see anyone paying £330 if there was any doubt.

That's the real McCoy (open 3)...the top of the three (3) points toward the "0." On the normal 3, the top of the 3 curls downward, toward (between) the 0 and the 3. That example is also the best one I've seen.

That's the real McCoy (open 3)...the top of the three (3) points toward the "0." On the normal 3, the top of the 3 curls downward, toward (between) the 0 and the 3. That example is also the best one I've seen.

This 1903 penny however is not definitely not an open 3 as described

D

yep, I looked out my Pennies and had a look, certainly is an open 3. It is the nicest one I have seen also, nicer than the one Colin Cooke had a little while back in the auction and it sold for more than twice the price!.

I only use a phone for the web as I currently do not have a computer, hopefully my phone camera is ok at pics, here is a close up of my open 3.

post-5660-020119300 1303940983_thumb.jpg

and the whole rev.

post-5660-076949600 1303941688_thumb.jpg

I'm still looking for an 1863 open 3, they always sell well over my budget.

Definitely an open "3", and as Peck says, one of the better examples.

A really nice specimen would fetch well into 4 figures, I'd imagine. But it's finding one in the first place. Anybody ever seen one above VF ?

and the whole rev.

post-5660-076949600 1303941688_thumb.jpg

I'm still looking for an 1863 open 3, they always sell well over my budget.

You might want to take a punt at this one

Thanks 1949, I've put it on my watched items now.

David

Definitely an open 3...

I was the under bidder at £310 and rather hoped to get it. Now I wish I'd gone more as it's the best I've ever seen too, especially the obverse :(

Edited by Accumulator

David

Definitely an open 3...

I was the under bidder at £310 and rather hoped to get it. Now I wish I'd gone more as it's the best I've ever seen too, especially the obverse :(

Have to agree Accumulator, nice OBV, not seen a better one as yet. This guy is stating that this is an open 3, i'm not so sure it is.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280667045407&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D280667045407%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

David

Definitely an open 3...

Have to agree Accumulator, nice OBV, not seen a better one as yet. This guy is stating that this is an open 3, i'm not so sure it is.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280667045407&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D280667045407%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Clearly not an open 3.

I like his caveat "I have been told this is an open 3 but I am no expert"

I might email him and tell him it's actually an Aston Martin DB9S in silver :D

Clearly not an open 3.

I like his caveat "I have been told this is an open 3 but I am no expert"

I might email him and tell him it's actually an Aston Martin DB9S in silver :D

No no no... its blatantly HMS Queen Elizabeth...! I think you need to get your glasses checked!

:D

David

Definitely an open 3...

I'll be putting a run of the mill fair up for sale soon, well once the new one has arrived :D

Thanks 1949, I've put it on my watched items now.

You might need to put in a late snipe. The auction finishes on Sunday night, and it's already at £101.00.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it finish at well over £200, despite its rather worn state. But that's rarity for you !!!

David

Definitely an open 3...

I'll be putting a run of the mill fair up for sale soon, well once the new one has arrived :D

Congratulations! I have a fair open 3 in the collection already, hence my interest in this better one. Looks like I'll have to start digging deeper as I've lost out on a few coins recently!

David

Definitely an open 3...

Congratulations! I have a fair open 3 in the collection already, hence my interest in this better one. Looks like I'll have to start digging deeper as I've lost out on a few coins recently!

I'm beginning to dispair over the prices on ebay, I've been the bride's maid not the bride so to speak on so many occassions now. Anyway after seeing what the two Colin Cooke open 3s went for it was very difficult to make a sound judgement so you would have had to go a long way to have beaten my highest bid. I'm not sure where is the best place to sell rare stuff these days as they seldom perform on ebay, but saying that the auction houses vary greatly also.

I'm beginning to dispair over the prices on ebay, I've been the bride's maid not the bride so to speak on so many occassions now. Anyway after seeing what the two Colin Cooke open 3s went for it was very difficult to make a sound judgement so you would have had to go a long way to have beaten my highest bid. I'm not sure where is the best place to sell rare stuff these days as they seldom perform on ebay, but saying that the auction houses vary greatly also.

In hindsight, I wish I'd gone higher and I believe you got a steal at £330. I think up to £500+ would still have been worthwhile.

The main thing I notice with eBay is that 'expensive' (i.e. genuinely rare and/or in outstanding condition) coins generally go cheaply, while 'cheap' (i.e. less rare and/or poorer condition) coins are often expensive. If that makes sense?