British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

What is the best graded open 3? All i've seen are Fs or worse grades, is there a VF or EF out there? Why so few higher graded ones?

2nd question, was this the result of a broken die, engraving? Die clog? Anyone on the forum (Bernie) got a better than a Fine graded open 3 to post?

Edited by azda

What is the best graded open 3? All i've seen are Fs or worse grades, is there a VF or EF out there? Why so few higher graded ones?

2nd question, was this the result of a broken die, engraving? Die clog? Anyone on the forum (Bernie) got a better than a Fine graded open 3 to post?

Here's mine

1903Ba.jpg

GF?? never seen a photo of a higher grade

Not a clogged die, definitely a different font

:)

David

Edited by davidrj

That is so problem free I raise my cup of tea. :)

However I would not spot an open 1903 in years.

Pennies is for loo's ;)

There is a very interesting letter in Coin Monthly that postulates that this is really a 3 over 2 variety. Mr Alexander, the writer of the letter contributed to many CM articles, including the excellent series "Variants of the Modern British Penny 1895-1967".

What do you guys think of his hypothesis?

post-936-032779500 1302070717_thumb.jpg

Here's an 1893/2 notice the spike in the middle of the 3, not quite sure of th above post theory

post-5057-018396500 1302077056_thumb.jpg

There is a very interesting letter in Coin Monthly that postulates that this is really a 3 over 2 variety. Mr Alexander, the writer of the letter contributed to many CM articles, including the excellent series "Variants of the Modern British Penny 1895-1967".

Anything is possible but there is no evidence at all for an underlying digit. The 3 is indeed a strange shape and to my knowledge does not match any style of 3 in use at the mint at the time, which suggests it was a freehand job. As we all write numbers differently it could just be down to that?

That's my theory anyway :)

Certainly an interesting theory... not massively convinced myself, but as John said, anything is possible!

Colin Cooke's Workman Part 2 (Lot 79) claims to be the best known at Fine (link)... no idea why none exist in better grade - I know only a few exist, but people have normal 1903 pennies in Unc, so why not a open 3?!

Exactly My Point cerbera, Why nothing better when there's normal 1903s in UNC

Exactly My Point cerbera, Why nothing better when there's normal 1903s in UNC

Simple numbers from Court's article - I don't think this variety was recognized before the 1960's so none would have been cherry picked when new

Untitled-1-1.gif

Edited by davidrj

Wow, those are impressive stats. Now only if we could get more excited about the variety itself. Rare appears to be the word...

I've been looking hard for a better one but, as has been said, they are all typically Good to Fine.

Not particularly proud of mine, but here it is anyway:

post-5762-024299000 1302105586_thumb.jpg

Edited by Accumulator

someone put the open 3 design over a 2 and see what happens?

You only have to look at the shape of the 2 in a 1902 penny to see the 3/2 theory is total oblox!

I'll post some high res pictures later

To his credit, he does make most of the article sound like a very plausible theory, until you read his last sentence or two, about the Royal Mint possibly experimenting to see what they might be dealing with in the next date. Then you realise it's actually complete tosh. Yes, the design of the open 3 is unusual, but then differently designed three's had been tried before (compare 1863 with 1873/83/93, for example). Moreover, it doesn't actually fit the "2" very well.

I think Alexander got carried away by his own hype on that occasion. Interesting read, nonetheless.

You only have to look at the shape of the 2 in a 1902 penny to see the 3/2 theory is total oblox!

I'll post some high res pictures later

1903.gif

nuff sed!

David

OK, I'm going to come out with one of my totally unromantic theories again.

1) They ran out of 3 punches;

2) They detailed the apprentice to cut a new one;

3) After a few thousand pennies had been run off, they decided it was rubbish;

4) They got a proper engraver to cut a new one;

5) They gave the apprentice a clip round the ear.

How does that sound?

How does that sound?

Sounds good to me!

An alternate theory I've had for some of these "1 working die only" varieties, is that they were made after the main run for domestic use, when a late application came in from one of the colonies, this could explain why some were rarer in UK circulation than may be expected

David

How does that sound?

Sounds good to me!

An alternate theory I've had for some of these "1 working die only" varieties, is that they were made after the main run for domestic use, when a late application came in from one of the colonies, this could explain why some were rarer in UK circulation than may be expected

David

Although the 3 over 2 doesn't work for me I can see that possibly they got to the end of the run and needed a new die to finish off. They then bodged something up to run the last few thousand.

How does that sound?

Much closer to real life.

How does that sound?

:D

How does that sound?

I reckon that to really determine the causes for these things one of us should do a bit of revision on the mint and it's history.

How does that sound?

I reckon that to really determine the causes for these things one of us should do a bit of revision on the mint and it's history.

Where would you start, Sion ?

I'd lay odds that if the information could be unearthed, someone would have done it already ~ as with so many Royal Mint mysteries.

How does that sound?

I'd lay odds that if the information could be unearthed, someone would have done it already ~ as with so many Royal Mint mysteries.

Well as I am from a family of historians I'd collect sources from previous mint workers (hard bit is tracking them down and then you can just chat over the phone, depends if you get an old grump or not)

Lots of information is not on the internet yet for things like mint details but I'm sure if one emailed the Mint enough about it's history eventually they'd help you out - after all that is their job.

You could also buy a few books on the mint and see if you can pick up any names from there, or any information.

Looking at existing information is always the first step.

How does that sound?

Well as I am from a family of historians I'd collect sources from previous mint workers (hard bit is tracking them down and then you can just chat over the phone, depends if you get an old grump or not)

Lots of information is not on the internet yet for things like mint details but I'm sure if one emailed the Mint enough about it's history eventually they'd help you out - after all that is their job.

You could also buy a few books on the mint and see if you can pick up any names from there, or any information.

I'll certainly admit that having a chat with a Royal Mint archivist, could be potentially very rewarding. Maybe one of us could approach them on behalf of the forum ?

Then go armed with a collection of highly relevant questions.

How does that sound?

I'll certainly admit that having a chat with a Royal Mint archivist, could be potentially very rewarding. Maybe one of us could approach them on behalf of the forum ?

Then go armed with a collection of highly relevant questions.

I'll do a quick bit of googling to find some books and some enquiry phone numbers and emails in case I/another member of this forum wishes to pursue this interesting information which can give us more of an insight into the Royal Mint and it's odd varieties.