British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest scottishfalcon

How To Get Coins Valued

Guest scottishfalcon

hello I offered to search the net for my friend who collects coins he has a 1916 double sided penny both sides showing Britannia. I have been looking for the past few hours and I cant find one to draw a comparison from and nearly every website talks about condition from fine to never circulated I'm not sure about the condition to me it seems worn but I'm no expert. Do you think it's worthwhile having it valued and do you have any pointers I can give him about getting a coin valued for example someone told him to take it to the royal mint, another mentioned an auction house but he is not sure how much this will cost him especially if he is told its worth fifty pence. I would be very grateful for your help and advice if only to stop him wasting his money

thanks for reading me

scottish falcon :rolleyes:

You'll need to verify it's genuine. I have seen a lot of pennies that have been cleverly cut and stuck to other pennies. Sending it to the RM would most likely get a reply stating it was an error. It's unlikely they will want it or put any kind of figure on it.

A normal auction would be fine but would probably have a limited audience. From personal experience very unusual things do better when they are exposed to a much larger interntaional market.

You are welcome to send it to me for verification and if it is worth 50p i'll send it straight back with no charge!

I could also arange to either advertise it on my website for an agreed price or put it in one of my reputed online auctions.

Of course I would charge an agreed commision for selling it via either method but have high enough morals to not charge a penny should it be worth very little!

Be good to hear from you, perhaps you can email me personally or use the forum messenger service.

Thanks or using the forum,

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com (cp@predecimal.com)