British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

1654 Commonwealth Halfcrown.

Can anyone give me a grade on this, not sure about hammered stuff.

Thanks.

post-5057-069359900 1300965615_thumb.jpg

Can anyone give me a grade on this, not sure about hammered stuff.

Thanks.

You're not sure about denominations either, it's a shilling. :D

Good fine with a striking split. Weak in parts, better in others. It depends on the condition of the bits we can't see. It looks like it is probably 4/3, so ESC 991 depending on the obverse.

It is a weak strike and the split doesn't help oveall maybe fine money with a following wind.

I was going by what the seller said ragarding HC coin, i met this guy at the Munich coin fair and noticed he had this, so took his card as he doesn't have a website. He has a price sticker on the other side of it so you'll see what he's wanting, i certainly won't be paying that price, so we'll see what he says, anyhoo, here's the OBV

post-5057-083375900 1300970553_thumb.jpg

The price is about right for a halfcrown - but it isn't. XII is twelve pence. Half crowns have II VI.

Edited by Rob

The price is about right for a halfcrown - but it isn't. XII is twelve pence. Half crowns have II VI.

I doubt he's going to like the fact he has it down as a HC and maybe himself has paid out HC cash, i would affer him 125 euros but i don't think he'll take such a steep drop in price unfortunately.

I doubt he's going to like the fact he has it down as a HC and maybe himself has paid out HC cash, i would affer him 125 euros but i don't think he'll take such a steep drop in price unfortunately.

No harm in asking. But it's worth more than 125 euros though, even as a shilling.

He's wanting 300 minimum, sounds a bit steep to me

I think you're right about it being 4/3 Rob, i've enlarged the pic with the iPhone and there is a curve of a 3 directly under the foot of the 4

Although Ebay is in my living room I still like to hunt out nice pieces.

A trip to the Midland fair always exites me despite having coin collectors back after stooping over the trays.

I also have my favoured dealers.

Try a sneekie bid on the shilling. ;)

I've stopped collecting dates (apart from farthings)and now want to shift anything which doesn't cut the mustard.

Trouble is my requirements are wallet trembling now.

If I sell all my pre 47 silver I may just have the funds for some early hammered silver.

Or if I can shift some money from the kids piggy bank B)

Unfortunately Peter, he won't go much less than 300 euros which i think is still to much, plus i have 2 coins reserved that i have to pay for first.

I'd Be happy to pay 200€ for it but i seriously doubt he'll drop that far

There are plenty more shillings out there.If you regret a purchase then you should'nt have bought it.

Wise words old sage ;)

There are plenty of coins I have missed out on or the dealer has sold them.....even walking around a coin fair.

Overall things balance out.

I suppose ebay can be the most frustrating.

Mr Cooke was selling CNUT pennies for £60 a few years ago I did buy a few bits of gold.

1758 shillings and 1746 LIMA halfcrowns make silly money.

1960 crowns 1950 & 51 1ds and 1946 and 49 3d's seem to be todays turkeys.

There are plenty of coins I have missed out on or the dealer has sold them.....even walking around a coin fair.

Overall things balance out.

I suppose ebay can be the most frustrating.

Mr Cooke was selling CNUT pennies for £60 a few years ago I did buy a few bits of gold.

1758 shillings and 1746 LIMA halfcrowns make silly money.

1960 crowns 1950 & 51 1ds and 1946 and 49 3d's seem to be todays turkeys.

Oh Lord - I remember those, and debated whether to buy one. Sadly I lost. :(