British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Henry III or Richard I Hammered coin?

Spotted this little hammered piece and it's been attributed as Henry III, i'm not a hammered man, but this coin has some appeal to me for some reason, perhaps because the detail of the OBV looks great compared to some i've seen. I've only got Spink to go by, but i'm not so sure it's Henry III S1355, it looks more like a Richard I s1347.

Can any of you hammered men ID it correctly? Forgot to mention, it's 1.38g

post-5057-093036500 1300480041_thumb.jpg

Edited by azda

I'd go for a class 3 based on the 7 pearls and the whiskers, so Richard I.

Thanks Rob, is it a decent grade, am no use with hammered, it looks decent, but could be any grade to me. Oh more importantly, what sort of price would i be looking at paying for it, not wanting to pay over the odds either. I'm a Scotsman lol

Edited by azda

Thanks Rob, is it a decent grade, am no use with hammered, it looks decent, but could be any grade to me. Oh more importantly, what sort of price would i be looking at paying for it, not wanting to pay over the odds either. I'm a Scotsman lol

It's not a bad coin. a bit flat in places in the legend but overall I'd give it nVF. Like nearly all hammered it's a bit of a curate's egg. The portrait is good which is important and the small nick at 9pm and the scratch between M and O on the reverse aren't too much of a problem. London is a common mint, so there's no premium for that. It has obviously been dug up which will count against it a bit, but there's a good £140-150 worth there and possibly a bit more on the strength of the portrait. Richard I coins sell quite well.

It is nicely centred and a pleasing coin.Snap it up if its been attributed to Henry 111.

To late.............gone

To late.............gone

:( What did it go for?

To late.............gone

:( What did it go for?

85 euros