British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

numishoro

VIKING COIN?

I have a coin which I can locate in Spinks 2010 Coins of England catologue, number 1016.However, although the obverse on mine is the same as number 1016, the reverse on mine is not the same as number 1016, but is the same as number 1006.Any help in identifying this coin would be greatly appreciated.My linkMy link

I have a coin which I can locate in Spinks 2010 Coins of England catologue, number 1016.However, although the obverse on mine is the same as number 1016, the reverse on mine is not the same as number 1016, but is the same as number 1006.Any help in identifying this coin would be greatly appreciated.My linkMy link

Something not right here. The obverse read AEDELSTAN REX TO BRI which is similar to the Circumscription Cross issue of Aethelstan (924-939) though it usually reads BRIT. The reverse is a Viking imitation coinage style for St.Peter's Coinage of York, but the sword is pointing in the wrong direction. Dave Greenhalgh does a copy of a St.Peter penny where the sword is facing the same way as yours, but there are detail differences. A mule of the coins of opposing forces in battle is highly contrived. Don't forget Aethelstan routed the Irish of viking descent and Scots et al at the battle of Brunanburh. I don't know where it comes from, but it doesn't make sense and has to be a modern concoction.

Aethelstan was king of Wessex, but the York coinage was struck a decade or two earlier. The obverse legend reads King of all the Britons, which is assumed to be following the defeat of the northern forces in the middle of his reign. The actual date of the battle is uncertain. This is more than a decade later than the period in which St.Peters coinage imitations were produced.

Edited by Rob

Ashmore a possibility?

What is the coins provenance?

Unfortunately,I know nothing more about the coin than what I have listed.It's the first Viking? coin I have

The other problem with it is that coins of Derby, Nottingham and Tamworth are usually inscribed REX SAXONUM (King of the Saxons) as opposed to REX TO BRIT (King of All Britain) because the area was under strong Danish influence and the acceptance of Aethelstan wasn't whole-hearted. There is no way with Edward the Elder having conquered Northumbria in 917 AD that his successor would then strike coins reverting to the viking style of reverse with all its connotations.

Your coin is most likely a modern souvenir struck at the Jorvik centre in York. During the excavations two coin dies were found which were then used to strike pewter blanks into coins. The dies were from different series and so the coin is muled from two obverses See here: Jorvik shop

I think originally kids could do the striking but health and safety meant that when I visited someone did the hammering for you. I've mislaid mine or I'd post a pic, but I'm 90% sue that's what it is. Sorry.

Edited by TomGoodheart

Here you go - I finally found mine. The obverse an early period Hibero-Norse 'St Peter' penny dating from 919-925 muled with an obverse from one of Aethelstan 'King of all Britain' (924-939).

post-129-037522600 1299866405_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomGoodheart

Numishoro

Where did you actually get the coin?

If you paid more than £1.50 you need to get your money back.

If it was a dealer some of us can you if he/she is a crook.

If you still think it is authentic send it to be slabbed at CGS.

My 1st and only fake purchase was down to me being greedy and buying on the strength of a poor photograph.

If I was buying expensive early hammered I will only part with my money with a few trusted dealers or inspection by hand.

The coin was actually found when digging the garden

I think that makes it more likely that it is a modern forgery. Viking settlements were seldom on the site of modern towns (or if they were, the towns have expanded exponentially). More likely a kid got it on a school trip to the Yorvik Centre, got bored of it and lobbed it out the window.