British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Marc

1954 penny for sale on ebay?

Is this a fake or some kind of scam? I notice she says a 1954 "copper" penny and not bronze. From her other coin listings it appears she "knows" about coins.

See here

Is this a fake or some kind of scam? I notice she says a 1954 "copper" penny and not bronze. From her other coin listings it appears she "knows" about coins.

See here

There are 2 known examples and one of those is in British museum.You just wouldn't put it on ebay.

Edited by Peter

See here

There are 2 known examples and one of those is in British museum.You just wouldn't put it on ebay.

It went for 122.99 LOL I watched the last few seconds of the auction. At four seconds it went from 40 to 100 to 122.99!

The altered date example in the London sale on Sunday made about £240 I think, so if it is an altered date forgery somebody got it fairly cheaply?

If it is one of the copies they have paid 10 times the price they could buy it for!

Rasmssen sold one in 2006 £37,500.

probably a doctored 1951 so £122 is a lot pay for this.

Seen this listing when it first came out - decided on fake pretty much instantly.

Seems an alright fake... is it a modified date? Or a tidy fake?

Rasmssen sold one in 2006 £37,500.

probably a doctored 1951 so £122 is a lot pay for this.

Not! It has the bead reverse of EIIR pennies, not the teeth of a 1951. That wouldn't be easy to fake compared to the date. Looking at it REALLY close-up, it's the '5' that looks a bit suspect. I'd say it could be a doctored 1964? But also, look at the '1' - it's much smaller than it should be. The whole date is probably suspect.

Is there really an example of this penny in the British Museum collection?

Edited by Coppers

Yes, there is one in the BM, it's recorded in Peck's "English copper, tin & bronze coins in the British Museum" as a specimen retrieved from circulation that "escaped the melting pot" despite the Mint records stating that a small number were made for die-testing purposes but all were destroyed.

Yes, there is one in the BM, it's recorded in Peck's "English copper, tin & bronze coins in the British Museum" as a specimen retrieved from circulation that "escaped the melting pot" despite the Mint records stating that a small number were made for die-testing purposes but all were destroyed.

I've just done a little research and I've found that the 'famous' 1954 penny was sold in the USA in 1967 for about £10,000 and then again by Spinks in November 1991 for £23,100. Is the British Museum one a second example, or is it a proof one like the 1952 penny?

I've just done a little research and I've found that the 'famous' 1954 penny was sold in the USA in 1967 for about £10,000 and then again by Spinks in November 1991 for £23,100. Is the British Museum one a second example, or is it a proof one like the 1952 penny?

No, there is just the one, not in the british museum, but in a private collection in the UK. :rolleyes::D

No, there is just the one, not in the british museum, but in a private collection in the UK. :rolleyes::D

Sorry, my mistake! Of course Bernie is correct. Peck indeed records the 1954 penny, as detailed above, but a side note shows it was in the hands of Spink & Son at the time of his writing (1958-60) rather than in the BM collection.