British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

SionGilbey

Can you spend sovereigns in a shop?

If one was silly enough to spend a gold Sovereign in your local Spar, what would you get for it?

Is the face value £1?

Would they let you?

If one was silly enough to spend a gold Sovereign in your local Spar, what would you get for it?

Is the face value £1?

Would they let you?

Why not try a George III Guinea to, i'll open a spar near you Sion :D

Is the face value £1?

Would they let you?

Why not try a George III Guinea to, i'll open a spar near you Sion :D

Yes, all post 1837 sovereigns are legal tender with a face value of £1. It's the reason why their sale is not subject to CGT.

Round here we use Waitrose of course :D

Yes, all post 1837 sovereigns are legal tender with a face value of £1. It's the reason why their sale is not subject to CGT.

Round here we use Waitrose of course :D

Just a slight correlation, it is all 1817 and onwards sovereigns that are indeed still legal tender.

I would imagine some young shopkeeper, but with his or her nose ring, belly button piercing and her spiked doo will not even recognise it as a coin of the realm though and might even call in the bobbies to knock you up for the notion of spending a "fake".

I think you'll find that its sovereigns from 1800 onwards, hence the reason that in the EU there is No tax payable on those coins from that year because they were used to buy and sell, so they are legal tender

Edited by azda

to save anyone any confusion, i can give you a pound coin for youre sovereigns.

1817 it was, if youve any dated 1800-1816, im interested.

I think you'll find that its sovereigns from 1800 onwards, hence the reason that in the EU there is No tax payable on those coins from that year because they were used to buy and sell, so they are legal tender

It's definitely 1837.... You can find it here on the HM Revenue & Customs website.

Edited by Accumulator

I'll give anyone a fiver for a sov.!

i'll give you £5.01 for them

outbid again :(

I'll give anyone a fiver for a sov.!

i'll give you £5.01 for them

outbid again :(

I shall wait for the snipe. :D but don't tell anyone :ph34r:

I shall wait for the snipe.
......you may have to wait some time, their in decline in uk wetlands. ;)

ccgb2010 is priced at six guineas, do the same tax rules apply to guineas, were they ever used for currency?

ccgb2010 is priced at six guineas, do the same tax rules apply to guineas, were they ever used for currency?

In the Great Recoinage they were replaced by the Sovereign so they are not legal tender as far as I'm aware.

However, people still called 21 shillings a Guinea and this makes it £1.05 today, so times that by 6 for 6 Guineas and that gives you £6.30, the price of the book.

It was used as legal tender originally being equal to 20 shillings but then increasing in the late 1600s (I think) to 21 until 1816 of course.

I don't think they have the same tax rules.

Sion

In the Great Recoinage they were replaced by the Sovereign so they are not legal tender as far as I'm aware.

However, people still called 21 shillings a Guinea and this makes it £1.05 today, so times that by 6 for 6 Guineas and that gives you £6.30, the price of the book.

It was used as legal tender originally being equal to 20 shillings but then increasing in the late 1600s (I think) to 21 until 1816 of course.

I don't think they have the same tax rules.

Sion

Tell that to those awfully nice chaps who organise horse races!

Tell that to those awfully nice chaps who organise horse races!

Ladbrokes????

It's definitely 1837.... You can find it here on the HM Revenue & Customs website.

Unfortunately HM Revenue & Customs has a mistake on their site - all sovereigns minted from 1817 are of the same standard.

It was fairly common for auctions to offer lots in Guineas into the 1970's and I am sure there are still a holdout here and tither that like pricing stuff in Guineas for no other reason than they get an extra 5P for each pound.

If you have real Guineas that you would like to let, I will give you quid and five for them and treat them just like money.

It was fairly common for auctions to offer lots in Guineas into the 1970's and I am sure there are still a holdout here and tither that like pricing stuff in Guineas for no other reason than they get an extra 5P for each pound.

If you have real Guineas that you would like to let, I will give you quid and five for them and treat them just like money.

I'll give you a quid and six :D

Unfortunately HM Revenue & Customs has a mistake on their site - all sovereigns minted from 1817 are of the same standard.

It's not about standard, simply that all pre-1837 (i.e. all pre QV) sovereigns have been legally demonitised. As a result, older sovereigns are not legal tender and therefore regarded as chattels for CGT purposes. See also here

Edited by Accumulator

If you were to spend it would they be legally obliged to accept it?

Not strictly true. This often comes up in relation to £50 notes as some shops will not to accept them, and they are entitled to do this. In fact a shop is entitled to ask for payment in any manner they please... gold beads if they so wish. Of course you can walk away!

On the other hand, if a court orders you to make a payment then you are entitled to settle with your choice of legal tender currency. So 100,000 pennies for a £1,000 fine should you feel so inclined.

I remember trying to spend a 1995 VE day £2 a few years back (ok, maybe 15!) and getting a very funny look from the poor lass... it helped that I was 11 and looked sweet and innocent, but it didnt stop her calling the manager down! Cant remember if I got my pick 'n mix though...

Oddly it was the same girl about a week later that refused a £50 note for a Mars bar and got the bloke arrested... he was carrying over £2k in fake fifties!

Is the face value £1?

Would they let you?

Well I can't speak for everybody, but if I was on the till, I'd definitely accept one, and then change it for an ordinary pound coin later. Although I can't even begin to imagine who would want to try and spend one at literal face value.

Although I can't even begin to imagine who would want to try and spend one at literal face value.

My 94 yr old mum is demented poor love, and prior to going into Care, she tried to pay a bill with premium bonds. So yes, I can imagine such a scenario with some poor old dear out shopping

:angry:

David

Edited by davidrj