British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Accumulator

1922 Penny with rev of 1927

Terrifying what the scarcer hypervarietals can fetch these days! Still, to my calculations that 23k for the "63E would have gotten [i think] superb specimens of 1843, 1849, 1856, 1860/59, 1864 crosslet, 1869, 1871, 1875H, 1882London! Now that is outrageous IMO. Which would you rather have?

Edited by VickySilver

Terrifying what the scarcer hypervarietals can fetch these days! Still, to my calculations that 23k for the "63E would have gotten [i think] superb specimens of 1843, 1849, 1856, 1860/59, 1864 crosslet, 1869, 1871, 1875H, 1882London! Now that is outrageous IMO. Which would you rather have?

Outrageous is one word....

i have more cross fours then regular 4 1864 pennys.

speaking of which, what should i do about this one

988884.jpg

988884.jpg

Yes, I snapped up the first low grade one I ever saw, like a twit, now I see them all the time...

988884.jpg

Two options, soak it in olive oil for a year or two or try soaking in contact oil such as this oil other than that sell it as it is!

988884.jpg

Two options, soak it in olive oil for a year or two or try soaking in contact oil such as this oil other than that sell it as it is!

Or if you don't mind making the penny quite a lot paler, you could soak overnight in balsamic vinegar to deal with the worst of the green, then soak it in olive oil for a good period (probably weeks, even months)

Or if you don't mind making the penny quite a lot paler, you could soak overnight in balsamic vinegar to deal with the worst of the green, then soak it in olive oil for a good period (probably weeks, even months)

Or you could just toss it in your salad :)

Or you could just toss it in your salad :)

Toss what? :blink:

:o

:lol:

Indeed it is fascinating, and the evidence for the 1922 coin is hard to refute. According to Spink though, there's another piece to the puzzle. They list an identical coin dated 1926, i.e. a penny with ME obverse and 1927 reverse. Does this exist too?

If it does, then why experiment with both dates? Unless, as you say, tests were done in 1925 before the 1926 dies were produced, and then repeated with 1926 dies before 'going live' in 1927. We'll probably never know.

Yes - if the 1926-reverse-1927 is EXACTLY the reverse used for 1927, rather than the 1922 ALMOST reverse, that would make sense.

The Story of 1926 dated pennies is another story! Until recently there were only two different varieties known, this has doubled to four!! in the last two years.

You can't get away with mentioning four varieties for 1926 and not telling more! Apart from Spink, I can find no reference to the third variety. And what is the fourth? The low mintage figures for 1926 mean I don't have that many pennies to look through What am I looking for?

perhaps Bernie meant 4 dies? Unless, there's a non-ME obverse with a 1927-style reverse but dated 1926? Another experimental die?

The two new 1926 varieties are Freeman obverse 4 with reverse D, same dies as for 1927 pennies, the second is Freeman 4 with completely different reverse, similar to reverse C but with much longer border teeth. I have pictures of these coins but when given them was asked not to share them.

Placing value on these coins, including the 1922 rarities is almost impossible, so again, £2000-£5000 ???

When the 1863 die 5 in VG sold for £23,000 ?? My enthusiastic bid was £2750, so who knows!!, without two bidders, the coin could have sold for less than £2000.

Just to add another dimension to this debate about the 1926 ME penny, I've just acquired a fair/fine specimen, which is slightly different from the normal type and I wonder where this fits into the picture. It's definitely an ME, so obverse 4 but Britannia has a distinctly shorter thumb and longer index finger which ends at least level with the top of the shield flag, so closer to the 1927 type than the earlier reverse. Going by the pictures on Tony Clayton's site, the standard ME has the thumb and finger about the same length and equidistant from the shield. Mine also shows a wider gap between the thumb and shield.

The other difference is that the gaps between the teeth on the reverse seem to be wider than on the standrad type, suggesting that there might be fewer teeth or that theyu are thinner. Does anybody know how many teeth there should be on the standard ME reverse?

Indeed it is fascinating, and the evidence for the 1922 coin is hard to refute. According to Spink though, there's another piece to the puzzle. They list an identical coin dated 1926, i.e. a penny with ME obverse and 1927 reverse. Does this exist too?

If it does, then why experiment with both dates? Unless, as you say, tests were done in 1925 before the 1926 dies were produced, and then repeated with 1926 dies before 'going live' in 1927. We'll probably never know.

Yes - if the 1926-reverse-1927 is EXACTLY the reverse used for 1927, rather than the 1922 ALMOST reverse, that would make sense.

The Story of 1926 dated pennies is another story! Until recently there were only two different varieties known, this has doubled to four!! in the last two years.

You can't get away with mentioning four varieties for 1926 and not telling more! Apart from Spink, I can find no reference to the third variety. And what is the fourth? The low mintage figures for 1926 mean I don't have that many pennies to look through What am I looking for?

perhaps Bernie meant 4 dies? Unless, there's a non-ME obverse with a 1927-style reverse but dated 1926? Another experimental die?

The two new 1926 varieties are Freeman obverse 4 with reverse D, same dies as for 1927 pennies, the second is Freeman 4 with completely different reverse, similar to reverse C but with much longer border teeth. I have pictures of these coins but when given them was asked not to share them.

Placing value on these coins, including the 1922 rarities is almost impossible, so again, £2000-£5000 ???

When the 1863 die 5 in VG sold for £23,000 ?? My enthusiastic bid was £2750, so who knows!!, without two bidders, the coin could have sold for less than £2000.

Just to add another dimension to this debate about the 1926 ME penny, I've just acquired a fair/fine specimen, which is slightly different from the normal type and I wonder where this fits into the picture. It's definitely an ME, so obverse 4 but Britannia has a distinctly shorter thumb and longer index finger which ends at least level with the top of the shield flag, so closer to the 1927 type than the earlier reverse. Going by the pictures on Tony Clayton's site, the standard ME has the thumb and finger about the same length and equidistant from the shield. Mine also shows a wider gap between the thumb and shield.

The other difference is that the gaps between the teeth on the reverse seem to be wider than on the standrad type, suggesting that there might be fewer teeth or that theyu are thinner. Does anybody know how many teeth there should be on the standard ME reverse?

187, I believe

Guest richbedforduk

I wish to thank everyone for previous assistance. :D

Now I wish to complain. <_< I have never been interested in coins. I just want to make a list of what I have; Pennies, 1953, 6 of - job done, end of, no more. But no, you keep having these discussions, and I read them. So first you had me looking for a 1926ME :blink: . Then you talk about 1922 pennies :blink: . So I go through those looking for the gap at the end of her fork :blink: . Then you go back to 1926ME's :blink: , and a sub variety, and I have to go look :blink: .

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!! I THINK THAT I AM GETTING INTERESTED!!!. I don't want to be interested. I even started to read why sub varieties might exist :angry: I have started talking coins at work. They stare at me. And look uncomfortable. And tut. Tut I tell you, TUT! I have even marvelled at the amazing enlargements that can be gotten from modern scanners, and stared in awe at the previously unseen micro-details that are now visable. And felt crushed when a coin that looks great to the naked eye is seen magnified and then appears like a roman mosaic after the builders had been in. You really must stop. Please.

No? OK, here's my 1926 ME that I went and looked for. It's not much, but you made me do it.

Penny1926MERev0001.jpg

Dave,

Could you post pics of the obverse & reverse of your coin please? There has been a fair amount of discussion on these 1922/26 coins in various threads and also off-forum. Spink seem to be confused between long/short fingers/thumbs & ME combinations. Your coin may widen the discussion further.

Rich that's the funniest post I've read for a long time - had us both laughing out loud here in our little bus. So I was quite looking forward to having a look at your 26ME. Trouble is, you showed us the wrong blinking side!

It's good for the subvariety the big boys were on about, but I reckon we should see the Obverse first...

I wish to thank everyone for previous assistance. :D

Now I wish to complain. <_< I have never been interested in coins. I just want to make a list of what I have; Pennies, 1953, 6 of - job done, end of, no more. But no, you keep having these discussions, and I read them. So first you had me looking for a 1926ME :blink: . Then you talk about 1922 pennies :blink: . So I go through those looking for the gap at the end of her fork :blink: . Then you go back to 1926ME's :blink: , and a sub variety, and I have to go look :blink: .

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!! I THINK THAT I AM GETTING INTERESTED!!!. I don't want to be interested. I even started to read why sub varieties might exist :angry: I have started talking coins at work. They stare at me. And look uncomfortable. And tut. Tut I tell you, TUT! I have even marvelled at the amazing enlargements that can be gotten from modern scanners, and stared in awe at the previously unseen micro-details that are now visable. And felt crushed when a coin that looks great to the naked eye is seen magnified and then appears like a roman mosaic after the builders had been in. You really must stop. Please.

No? OK, here's my 1926 ME that I went and looked for. It's not much, but you made me do it.

You're learning what an addictive hobby this can be! Re your penny, if it's an ME we need to see the obverse :)

Guest richbedforduk

Apologies, I posted the reverse as the reverse had just been discussed.

penny1926MEob0001.jpg

Well done, Rich, you've got one!

Never mind the microvarieties they were talking about, having a 26ME is achievement enough.

Well done, Rich, you've got one!

Never mind the microvarieties they were talking about, having a 26ME is achievement enough.

Yes, well done, the ME is not an easy one to track down. And yes, your earlier post was hilarious :lol: Now, just wait until someone discusses why "that 8 in the date of your coin is actually 8 over 6", when to your eyes it looks like an 8, no more no less. Or somesuch :D

I did chuckle at that post...I also get those looks at work :lol:

Guest richbedforduk

and don't get us onto 1920/21 silver

or 1911 pennies

I do not want to know about 1911 pennies. I don't. I don't want to have to look. I don't you know I don't don't don't...

o gawd 1911 pennys...

dont get me started on 1860 and 61 :P

or 1911 pennies

I do not want to know about 1911 pennies. I don't. I don't want to have to look. I don't you know I don't don't don't...

Relax! There's four 1913, two or three 1915 and 1916, two 1920, 1921, 1922, and at least four 1926 apparently. I should major on the 1927 - 1936 series - the only date with varieties you need to worry about is 1933 :lol:

or 1911 pennies

Relax! There's four 1913, two or three 1915 and 1916, two 1920, 1921, 1922, and at least four 1926 apparently. I should major on the 1927 - 1936 series - the only date with varieties you need to worry about is 1933 :lol:

Until someone finds the hollow neck, depressed ear 1923KN muled with the 1927 reverse!

:) <fx> ducks

David

Until someone finds the hollow neck, depressed ear 1923KN muled with the 1927 reverse!

not the 1913H? :P