British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rob

How much literature do members have and use?

POLL - How many pieces of numismatic reference literature do you have?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Number of books, catalogues, reports etc (approx)

2. 2. Why do you keep literature or not?

• Price information
    • General information on numismatics
    • Research
    • Light reading
    • Collect books
    • Don't keep any books
    • - Due to no space
    • - Prefer to use the internet
    • - Lack of funds or the cost of books
    • - Have insufficient interest in coins to justify buying books
  3. 3. How do you see your future involvement with numismatic literature?

• I will be buying more printed books
    • I will be using the internet almost exclusively
    • I will not buy any form of book, either virtual or real
    • I will keep my existing references until worn out
    • My literature will expand in keeping with my collecting interests
    • I don't curently have any books, but will be getting some in the future
    • ...and if so, for prices?
    • ...for detailed reference?
    • ... for research?
    • ...for general knowledge

The title is confusing then. I did not know he also used his own collection and I agree with you about his work on the Soho mint, pages and pages of it. Unfortunatly, most of us do not have the means to collect Patterns or Proofs (pre 1900)

As for farthings I think the internet sites of Colin Cooke and ColinGs (aboutfarthings) have done a little to correct that :D What about the poor cousin, the halfpenny?

Pages xix-xx of the preamble give a list of the locations used. 10 museums and 33 individual collections. Basically any museum that has a large coin collection and a short list of who's who in post war numismatic circles.

I could, but I'm not sure the demand would justify doing a serious work on halfpennies. 1/2ds have always been the poor relation.

The title is confusing then. I did not know he also used his own collection and I agree with you about his work on the Soho mint, pages and pages of it. Unfortunatly, most of us do not have the means to collect Patterns or Proofs (pre 1900)

As for farthings I think the internet sites of Colin Cooke and ColinGs (aboutfarthings) have done a little to correct that :D What about the poor cousin, the halfpenny?

Pages xix-xx of the preamble give a list of the locations used. 10 museums and 33 individual collections. Basically any museum that has a large coin collection and a short list of who's who in post war numismatic circles.

I could, but I'm not sure the demand would justify doing a serious work on halfpennies. 1/2ds have always been the poor relation.

I would go for a halfpenny reference.

At the moment they probably represent the best value for money available as they are least popular among collectors and therefore freely available in decent grades.

If anyone is going to pursue a Half Penny Reference, you might be able to enlist the help of Mal Lewendon. I'm not sure of his email at this time, but he has a disk that has a lot of the varieties of the Half Pennies already identified. Chris has even used some of his images for the GBCC reference. Just a FYI!

I've got Mal's email address.

The problem with a halfpenny reference is that most of the info is already in the public domain but spread around different publications. Starting with the Anglo-Saxon through to the early Plantagenets period where they are horribly rare with few exceptions, there is limited material to work with and few collectors as a result. They are the sort of thing that is nice to have an example, but being priced in the £5-10K bracket aren't exactly petty cash purchases. Paul & Bente Withers have done a good job with the hammered halfpennies from Edward I onwards, though I have been able to extend their lists a little. The early milled does have some additional varieties (Peck is all at sea on the tin edges) and there is scope for extension of the George I-III types. There are some additional pieces worthy of note in the later copper and bronze including some significant varieties, but not a huge number. Most of the reported unlisted things are double cut legend varieties which as a few of you will know don't excite me very much and as neither error nor intended design wouldn't be considered for inclusion if I were to do anything.

If anyone is going to pursue a Half Penny Reference, you might be able to enlist the help of Mal Lewendon. I'm not sure of his email at this time, but he has a disk that has a lot of the varieties of the Half Pennies already identified. Chris has even used some of his images for the GBCC reference. Just a FYI!

But to give proper credit, I believe his disk and some of the information within, is based upon the research of Iain Dracott who published 3 part article on the Victorian Bunheads several years ago in Coin News (? not at home right now, and I'm not sure if that is the name of the monthly magazine)...

I have expanded my collection to include the Dracott varieties and even some newer prior undiscovered varieties... (i.e. Gary Bretts 1861 R/B in BRITT, my 1873 obv 7 rev c#, etc)

That being said, it is an invaluable reference disk to have... a tool that no Victorian Bunhead collector should be without...

Mal Lewendon is a member of this forum if I am not mistaken. I seem to remember getting my copy of the disk from him via this forum. Last seen sunning himself in France I believe :)

I have expanded my collection to include the Dracott varieties and even some newer prior undiscovered varieties... (i.e. Gary Bretts 1861 R/B in BRITT, my 1873 obv 7 rev c#, etc)

That being said, it is an invaluable reference disk to have... a tool that no Victorian Bunhead collector should be without...

Agreed, invaluable but I feel there is room for improvement. Sorry Mal.

Edited by Gary

Mal Lewendon is a member of this forum if I am not mistaken. I seem to remember getting my copy of the disk from him via this forum. Last seen sunning himself in France I believe :)

There is ALWAYS room for improvement..........

Gary,

You are right, Mal is located in France, or at least the last time I heard of him, he was. I believe he is a aviator.

Gary,

You are right, Mal is located in France, or at least the last time I heard of him, he was. I believe he is a aviator.

Yes, he was an airline pilot but I gather he is now retired.

I've the same first three as RobJ, which have been great for the beginner I am. Any recommendations on a good book for silver half crowns?

ESC is a good start, but Davies is more detailed for the post-1816 stuff, although his written Englisn is at times a little strange.

G

ESC is a good start, but Davies is more detailed for the post-1816 stuff, although his written Englisn is at times a little strange.

G

You mean he uses hs where he should be using ns. :blink::D

Edited by Rob

G

You mean you don't understand simple Englisn, Rob? :o

G

:lol:

G

Englisn is a recorded variety, known to have been occasioned by a tired typesetter at the end of a hard day :P

:lol:

semale the corfee Mr Goodheart.

I'm going to the local shop for a nice claret....plus the mail :lol: