British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Silver threepence die numbers (Davies)

My first question to the forum. Please be gentle.

In Davies book 'British Silver Coins' die numbers are attributed to varieties of currency threepence and also to Maundy coins. Where the Maundy threepence die comes from the currency series that die number is noted. Does this mean that for Maundy coins where no such currency die number is shown that the Maundy die is different from the currency die?

If this is the case, are there any references that detail the differences? I really struggle to differentiate between early currency strikes and Maundy coins.

Nick

In Davies book 'British Silver Coins' die numbers are attributed to varieties of currency threepence and also to Maundy coins. Where the Maundy threepence die comes from the currency series that die number is noted. Does this mean that for Maundy coins where no such currency die number is shown that the Maundy die is different from the currency die?

If this is the case, are there any references that detail the differences? I really struggle to differentiate between early currency strikes and Maundy coins.

Nick

Hello Nick and welcome.

Without re-reading Davies I am guessing that the dies are the same.

The easiest tell for a maundy threepence is the toning. Currency issues tend to tone like all other silver coins whereas maundy issues tone with that lovely gun metal/steely blue tone. The coins have to be in high grade to differentiate. For B UNC coins the maundy usually appear prooflike with mirrored fields. I have sold a couple of early B UNCS and had to sell them as maundy issue becauase they looked like proof strikes. The currency, as I'm sure you will know, was worth about £100 more than I asked.

Hope that is of some help.

Nick

Hello Nick and welcome.

The easiest tell for a maundy threepence is the toning. Currency issues tend to tone like all other silver coins whereas maundy issues tone with that lovely gun metal/steely blue tone. The coins have to be in high grade to differentiate. For B UNC coins the maundy usually appear prooflike with mirrored fields. I have sold a couple of early B UNCS and had to sell them as maundy issue becauase they looked like proof strikes. The currency, as I'm sure you will know, was worth about £100 more than I asked.

Thanks, that does help and will certainly help in future, as long as I remember to buy toned examples :)

The specific examples I was looking at were the Maundy coins of Edward VII which are all the same Davies type '1 A'. If the Maundy '1 A' is the same as the currency '1 A' then it should be trivial to differentiate 1905-9 currency threepences as they all have a type 'B' reverse. I think I need to do some more research to try and firm up a theory.

Nick

Nick

Hello Nick and welcome.

Thanks, that does help and will certainly help in future, as long as I remember to buy toned examples :)

The specific examples I was looking at were the Maundy coins of Edward VII which are all the same Davies type '1 A'. If the Maundy '1 A' is the same as the currency '1 A' then it should be trivial to differentiate 1905-9 currency threepences as they all have a type 'B' reverse. I think I need to do some more research to try and firm up a theory.

Nick

It wouldn't matter too much with Edward VII (except academically) as the Maundy and currency 3d wouldn't be so far apart in value. Where it matters is with the early colonial issues of Victoria, where the differential (stupidly in my opinion, as all Maundy is a tiny mintage) is colossal.

Bucks is at the coin fair every month but he never brings these loose coins with him, only slabbed higher end of the market coins. It is a shame as I know there have been a few I would have bought from him if they had been at the fair.

• Like 1