British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

newkidonbloc

Quuen Anne - fake? help wanted please

Hi,

My first post so please be gentle.

I only just started collecting coins relating from a small collection received from an elderly aunt (Passed away). According to my aunt, everything was valuable and the many collector coins I have (Churchhill etc.,) I know the true value, but this one coin puzzled me which was amongst the soverigns and other silver coins.. It would appear from my research to be Queen Anne and in too good a condition to be that old.

IS this a fake and how may I tell

Thank you in advance

Peter

Hi,

I only just started collecting coins relating from a small collection received from an elderly aunt (Passed away). According to my aunt, everything was valuable and the many collector coins I have (Churchhill etc.,) I know the true value, but this one coin puzzled me which was amongst the soverigns and other silver coins.. It would appear from my research to be Queen Anne and in too good a condition to be that old.

picture.jpg

Thank you in advance

Peter

(appera not to have loaded the picture - hope that this sorts it out)

Hi,

picture.jpg

Thank you in advance

Peter

Hi Peter, just a little advice, try and crop around the coin so you are left with virtually the whole coin in the picture, 2nd thing is to try and reduce the light as it's a bit strong and hard to see any tell tale signs as its to shiny for want of a better word, also photograph of both sides.

Edited by azda

Looks dodgy and 1965 crowns....50p a shot.

Hi,

Thank you in advance

Peter

It's actually Queen Elizabeth I but I would warn you there are a lot of facsimilles around made of pewter. These were sold as such, so technically aren't forgeries (although they do confuse a hell of a lot of people). Size and weight, and a photo of the reverse would be helpful.

From the pic it looks like an Elizabeth I crown or half-crown (the diameter will tell - about 4cm across for the crown, 3cm for the half-crown)

However if most of your Aunt's coins are Chruchill crowns and the like it's not so likely she'd have a £600-£1200 coin in there. If it is genuine I'd expect something like a sales slip or piece of paper with details of where the coin is from.

There are replicas out there made of lead free pewter. Most examples found are likely to be these unless the collector is serious about their hobby in which case the family are likely to be aware of it. Such replicas will be quite light. If your Aunt's collection has a modern half crown you can compare the weight of this coin with it and the Churchill crown. If it's too light, likely it's a replica.

Finally most replicas have a shiny look to them. If still in doubt a proper coin dealer is likely to be able to tell the difference at a glance.

If I may add a comment, from the perspective of an outsider looking in so to speak.

The only knowledge of Hammered Coinage that I have is from what I have read here on the Forum and in one or two other places. So I may be speaking nonsense here. lol

But it does seem to me that it has a very strong, centered strike upon an almost perfectly round flan. (That actually sounded like I know what I'm talking about. lol)

It may be that some coins of this Era were produced in such a a way, as I know that there was some experimentation with 'Milled' coins during Elizabeth's Reign. Although I would imagine that they would be rather scarce and highly desired by Collectors.

As I said, this may be nonsense, but I thought that I'd add the comment. :)

It appears to be an Elizabeth I 6th issue Crown or Halfcrown, mintmark 1 - the which depends on the size, as has been stated. If genuine, you are looking at a coin worth at least 3 figures, but maybe over £1000. However, the "genuine" part of that assessment is everything. There are many reproductions.

It appears to be an Elizabeth I 6th issue Crown or Halfcrown, mintmark 1 - the which depends on the size, as has been stated. If genuine, you are looking at a coin worth at least 3 figures, but maybe over £1000. However, the "genuine" part of that assessment is everything. There are many reproductions.

It purports to be a crown with Cooper's obverse E (needless to say a rare one), but the stops by the 1 mark look too bulky as does the first E and this, the L & the Z have indents on the bottom bar which the normal E die doesn't appear to have, though Noble sale 70 lot 1654 had one with an indented base Z. A better picture would help, but I'm going for a copy.

post-381-008408900 1296171091_thumb.jpg

post-381-035314900 1296171113_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob

Thanks for the replies. The coin initially was with other silver coins from Victoria and George. I do think it is pewter. It is approximately 40mm in diameter and weighs 18.8 grams

I enclose 2 further photographs - could I ask has anyone any recommendations on coin dealers in the Mansfield/Nottingham/Newark area. I realise I could use yellow pages but personal recommendations are always better.

I enclose 2 further photogarphs of the coin in question,

crown1.png

crown2.png

Thank you

Peter

I don't know the correct weight, but at 40mm. it would be a crown. The weight however is about two-thirds of what I would expect the genuine article to weigh.

Edited by Red Riley

A genuine crown would weigh 30g give or take a little. The weight tends to be remarkably accurate on the early tower crowns. This one has cast written all over it.

From the photos I'm certain it's a cast replica I'm afraid. The details on a hammered coin, whether crisp or worn, have a certain look to them and this is too 'smooth' (not a technical term!) Plus the general 'graininess' makes it look cast.

But the weight is the decider. Much too light for silver. Sorry to disappoint.

Thanks for the replies. The coin initially was with other silver coins from Victoria and George. I do think it is pewter. It is approximately 40mm in diameter and weighs 18.8 grams

I enclose 2 further photographs - could I ask has anyone any recommendations on coin dealers in the Mansfield/Nottingham/Newark area. I realise I could use yellow pages but personal recommendations are always better.

crown1.png

crown2.png

Thank you

Peter

That looks like WRL engraved on the reverse under the shield on the left. If so, then it stands for Westair Reproductions Ltd, which pretty much confirms what it is, I'm afraid.

crown1.png

crown2.png

Thank you

Peter

That looks like WRL engraved on the reverse under the shield on the left. If so, then it stands for Westair Reproductions Ltd, which pretty much confirms what it is, I'm afraid.

And the clincher is the raised "rim" it seems to have in places - you just don't see that on a genuine hammered coin

An obvious electrotype. I suspect if you look around the rim it will have the appearance of being 2 coins stuck together....because it is.

Almost as interesting now would be to work out how it came to be in your aunt's possession (curiously I found a reproduction Elizabeth I 3d in my mother's effects). This type of facsimille is often used by film/TV or even amateur dramatic companies for period dramas, so did she have any connection with that type of thing?

Edited by Red Riley

Almost as interesting now would be to work out how it came to be in your aunt's possession (curiously I found a reproduction Elizabeth I 3d in my mother's effects). This type of facsimille is often used by film/TV or even amateur dramatic companies for period dramas, so did she have any connection with that type of thing?

They're also sold by some museum shops I believe?

They're also sold by some museum shops I believe?

And ebay

Hi,

picture.jpg

Thank you in advance

Peter

This isn't Anne, for a start - it's Elizabeth I!