British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gary

1911 Pennies

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but thought it best to post here rather than start a new topic!

I was searching through a bulk load that I got ages ago just to make sure I hadn't missed anything (already found a low grade low tide penny but that was all), and I had only two 1911 pennies in the whole lot and almost didn't bother checking! :blink:

So for the experts is the one on the left a hollow neck as the I in BRITT points to a tooth?

Scan_zps26e6dec4.jpeg

Hi, yes it is. If the reverse is definitely 1911 then that's a nice find! :)

Awesome! :D

I did have to check the reverse again though! :lol:

Cheers

Private message sent.

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but thought it best to post here rather than start a new topic!

I was searching through a bulk load that I got ages ago just to make sure I hadn't missed anything (already found a low grade low tide penny but that was all), and I had only two 1911 pennies in the whole lot and almost didn't bother checking! :blink:

So for the experts is the one on the left a hollow neck as the I in BRITT points to a tooth?

Scan_zps26e6dec4.jpeg

Hi, yes it is. If the reverse is definitely 1911 then that's a nice find! :)

Awesome! :D

I did have to check the reverse again though! :lol:

Cheers

Private message sent.

And the reverse

1d4715ce-c0ff-439a-8c6f-3ff38af135e1_zpsf01a3ee4.jpg

Not that great really! :(

Justin,

They are always good, when you "find" them! Ha, Ha. Great find!

Told you you were in good company with pennies here! :)

Edit: we just need to get you onto hammered now! ;)

Edited by Coinery

Oh Crap! I was considering this the other day! Was considering taking the penny collection back to Edgar so the album would span a millennia although the price of some of the hammered pennies scares the hell out of me! :o Mm I wonder if could slip those under Mrs J's radar ! :P

Oh Crap! I was considering this the other day! Was considering taking the penny collection back to Edgar so the album would span a millennia although the price of some of the hammered pennies scares the hell out of me! :o Mm I wonder if could slip those under Mrs J's radar ! :P

A thousand years of pennies! Now there's a thought! That would cover a few specialities! :)

Resurrecting this thread. But does that mean there are 3 obv for the 1911 Coin. I have one with I of BRITT to gap and I of IMP to gap and another with I of BRITT to Gap and I of Imp to Tooth (this one has Hollow Neck, at least if I understanding it correctly). So the "Gouby X" is I of BRITT to tooth? Is that the only criteria?

Sorry if this is a bit basic I am just trying to learn.

Thanks

Brian

Ooooooh, just re-read my own post about a 1000 years of pennies!

Who's going to take that baby on? What a collection that would be! :)

• Like 1

Resurrecting this thread. But does that mean there are 3 obv for the 1911 Coin. I have one with I of BRITT to gap and I of IMP to gap and another with I of BRITT to Gap and I of Imp to Tooth (this one has Hollow Neck, at least if I understanding it correctly). So the "Gouby X" is I of BRITT to tooth? Is that the only criteria?

Sorry if this is a bit basic I am just trying to learn.

Thanks

Brian

Sorry to pirate the thread just then! Just returning you to the front. There are plenty of penny boys here to answer thaaaaaaattttt.....abooouuut....now! :)

I think there are only two but I'm not entirely clear on the matter and would like to know too.

I will have to have another quick check and make sure what I have.

Just had a good look and mine again. I think the I of Imp to tooth is due to wear and possibly some very slight damage to the rim in that area. I was looking at the scans of my coins and not the actual coins. Thanks to Pete for helping straighten me out on the point.