British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gary

1911 Pennies

There is a thread for this topic already (1911 Penny) in which there seems to be some confusion as to how many obv types there are.

If members could send me pictures of thier 1911 pennies, "I" of BRITT to gap and "I" to tooth then I will undertake a comparison and try to sort this out once and for all.

Send them to gary.brett (that funny symbol) uk2.net. (thats so I dont get flooded by spam!) you all know what the funny symbol in email addresse's is!

Please make sure that the pics are 800x800 pixels or more and of reasonable quality and I will do the rest and post the results.

Please make sure the pic is taken square to the coin , not angled! Thanks

will give me something to do at the weekend :lol:

I did post this under the old thread but it keeps getting buried by new posts and threads so forgive me for starting an extra thread..... I have, so far, recieved pics from davidrj and Peckris is working on it so I hope I get some more respones,

thanks in advance

Gary

Gary,

I just sent you my pic's.

Gary,

I just sent you my pic's.

Thanks RLC35, got them, no probs.

Gary

I have 2 1911s, can't find the other picture though, so i'm gonna forward the one i have for now and send the other later tomorrow or Saturday morning.

I have 2 1911s, can't find the other picture though, so i'm gonna forward the one i have for now and send the other later tomorrow or Saturday morning.

Got the first one Azda, thanks for that.

Already done that Gary plus loads of other Dealer sites. Got a folder full of pics for comparision but so far only 4 examples of "I" to Tooth, including mine. I suspect you have at least one example, would you mind sending a pic over? Cheers.

Already done that Gary plus loads of other Dealer sites. Got a folder full of pics for comparision but so far only 4 examples of "I" to Tooth, including mine. I suspect you have at least one example, would you mind sending a pic over? Cheers.

Mine is in the original thread.... When I get home I will send you the original..... I'll look to see if I also have the one that I sold.....

Mine is in the original thread.... When I get home I will send you the original..... I'll look to see if I also have the one that I sold.....

If you go to the thread just below this one I in BRITT penny you will find pictures of both mine and Gary's 1911 penny

:lol:too many Gary's around here, get confused! :lol:

Hi Gary, got that one unfortunatly its not exactly square to the camera and if you do have a pic of the one you sold then that too will be useful.

If you go to the thread just below this one I in BRITT penny you will find pictures of both mine and Gary's 1911 penny

Hi Gary, already saved. cheers.

Hi Gary,

I've sent you the links to a couple I have for sale at the moment.

Derek

:lol:too many Gary's around here, get confused! :lol:

Hi Gary, got that one unfortunatly its not exactly square to the camera and if you do have a pic of the one you sold then that too will be useful.

Hi Gary,

I have emailed you the images of the coin that I sold.... It's dark, but it's all I have.....

I will try to take a better image of the specimen in my collection later today....

Regards,

Gary

There is a thread for this topic already (1911 Penny) in which there seems to be some confusion as to how many obv types there are.

If members could send me pictures of thier 1911 pennies, "I" of BRITT to gap and "I" to tooth then I will undertake a comparison and try to sort this out once and for all.

Send them to gary.brett (that funny symbol) uk2.net. (thats so I dont get flooded by spam!) you all know what the funny symbol in email addresse's is!

Please make sure that the pics are 800x800 pixels or more and of reasonable quality and I will do the rest and post the results.

Please make sure the pic is taken square to the coin , not angled! Thanks

will give me something to do at the weekend :lol:

I did post this under the old thread but it keeps getting buried by new posts and threads so forgive me for starting an extra thread..... I have, so far, recieved pics from davidrj and Peckris is working on it so I hope I get some more respones,

thanks in advance

Gary

I tried, I really tried, but if there's a technique to photographing coins without special equipment, I don't know it. I've tried the macro setting on my camera, but each time I go in close it casts a dark shadow on the coin and I fail. Sorry. :(

I tried, I really tried, but if there's a technique to photographing coins without special equipment, I don't know it. I've tried the macro setting on my camera, but each time I go in close it casts a dark shadow on the coin and I fail. Sorry. :(

Hi Peckris, thats a shame because it was your post in the other thread that casts doubt

That's interesting. I checked both my high grade 1911s yesterday - the one where the I of BRITT points clearly to a space has a slightly hollow neck. Whereas my non-hollow neck penny has the I of BRITT pointing to the left of a tooth. Just how many 1911 varieties are there???[/qoute]

if you are getting shadow, increase the distance between camera and coin. Most cameras these days have a large enough resolution that you do not have to get that close to get a decent size picture. I have attached some photos of how I take my pic's with a camera. Hope this helps a bit as it would be great if you could manage to get pic's to me.

have a good weekend,

Gary

post-439-012439100 1296258729_thumb.jpg

post-439-048608300 1296258735_thumb.jpg

post-439-070913100 1296258742_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary

I read somewhere (may have been this thread... too lazy to check :unsure: ) that scanning of coins was a faux pas... Is it really that bad?! Surely its the easiest way to get full focus on a coin (except those silly high-relief ancient stuff!)?

I've tried all manner of tricks with the camera, but cant get anything nearly as good... either the flash reflects, or lack of flash gives unrealistic colouring...

Also... (really showing my ineptitude now!) where does one host said images... ideally without relinquishing any pennies?!

1911 Gouby X penny pics to follow!

where does one host said images... ideally without relinquishing any pennies?!

You could try omnicoin.com or photobucket.

Hi Peckris, thats a shame because it was your post in the other thread that casts doubt

That's interesting. I checked both my high grade 1911s yesterday - the one where the I of BRITT points clearly to a space has a slightly hollow neck. Whereas my non-hollow neck penny has the I of BRITT pointing to the left of a tooth. Just how many 1911 varieties are there???

if you are getting shadow, increase the distance between camera and coin. Most cameras these days have a large enough resolution that you do not have to get that close to get a decent size picture. I have attached some photos of how I take my pic's with a camera. Hope this helps a bit as it would be great if you could manage to get pic's to me.

have a good weekend,

Gary

Ok, I will try to do again. (I've got a tripod somewhere, but it does mean I will have to avoid the macro setting as that requires getting very close). Let me see what I can do. I don't move very fast, so take a very deep breath before you hold it).

I read somewhere (may have been this thread... too lazy to check :unsure: ) that scanning of coins was a faux pas... Is it really that bad?! Surely its the easiest way to get full focus on a coin (except those silly high-relief ancient stuff!)?

I've tried all manner of tricks with the camera, but cant get anything nearly as good... either the flash reflects, or lack of flash gives unrealistic colouring...

Also... (really showing my ineptitude now!) where does one host said images... ideally without relinquishing any pennies?!

1911 Gouby X penny pics to follow!

Scanning is NOT a faux-pas! With scans you get a perfectly evenly lit, perfectly flat, and perfectly square-on picture. The one main drawback with scans is the flatness of tone - lustre doesn't properly come out at all. I would have scanned my 1911s but since I upgraded operating systems I've lost Photoshop, which was the link to my scanner.

I know it's not a big sample set but I actually have 39 x 1911 pennies in a bag (a have bags of pennies of each year, don't ask me why!). I know they have never been checked for this variety so I've just been through them. Every single one has the I of BRITT pointing to a space. I almost convinced myself that some had the I pointing to the left of the space and some to the right but then decided it was my eyesight! I have an UNC one in my collection but you probably have enough other images by now?

That's interesting. I checked both my high grade 1911s yesterday - the one where the I of BRITT points clearly to a space has a slightly hollow neck. Whereas my non-hollow neck penny has the I of BRITT pointing to the left of a tooth. Just how many 1911 varieties are there???

have a good weekend,

Gary

Here is my first effort : it's the obverse of an Unc 1911 (no hollow neck), with a close-up detail. As you can see, the I of BRITT is most clearly pointing to the left of a tooth, neither directly to, nor to a space.

post-4737-072836900 1296336897_thumb.jpg

Here is my first effort : it's the obverse of an Unc 1911 (no hollow neck), with a close-up detail. As you can see, the I of BRITT is most clearly pointing to the left of a tooth, neither directly to, nor to a space.

Just double checked all 39 again, under a better light and with my best glasses on, and they have exactly the same alignment as yours.

Just double checked all 39 again, under a better light and with my best glasses on, and they have exactly the same alignment as yours.

REALLY? Which is odd, because my other high grade - with a hollowish neck - has the I clearly pointing to a space!

REALLY? Which is odd, because my other high grade - with a hollowish neck - has the I clearly pointing to a space!

Yes, really, but I did find that slightly different angles of light and not aligning the pennies exactly in the same way did play tricks with my eyes... or perhaps it was my eyes! With a couple I actually took photos ready to post them as variants but then when I looked again at the pics I decided they really were the same as yours. Anyway, going through those pics here's the only one that might be in doubt. What do you think?

post-5762-019612000 1296343272_thumb.jpg

Or is it just that part of the 'I' is missing? Sorry, reviewing the post I can see the quality of enlargement is terrible!