British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Am looking for ideas or information or suggestions, that might indicate that this is NOT a post mint brockage type item....

It is dated 1879 and weighs 15.8 grams....

post-443-005716000 1295796542_thumb.jpg

That's a hard one. The weight is too much for a normal penny blank. The only thing that might suggest it is genuine would be an exact fit for the alloy composition when compared to a known mint product. 1879 isn't the same as 1965 when various mules, off metal strikes and mistrikes were produced, so there should probably be a good correlation with known alloys. I don't know how much non-British output for the empire or coins for foreign governments was done by the RM in 1879, but I would expect at least some empire coinage to be struck there. Therefore, does the weight match any known empire piece for the date?

I may be entirely wrong Gary, but it looks post mint and looks like it was struck using a mint produced penny.

The rim of the original penny shows up on your "brockage" and even shows a rim nick at 8 o'clock?

It's difficult to see how this could have come from the mint when it is clearly struck without a collar on a larger heavier flan?

As I say, I may be wrong.

Edited by argentumandcoins

I agree entirely. The question in the original post asks for reasons why it should not be post mint work, which is a much more difficult theory to support.

I agree entirely. The question in the original post asks for reasons why it should not be post mint work, which is a much more difficult theory to support.

Thanks Rob...

That's my point... There does not appear to be any reason for its existence except as a product of idle time.... Probably made MANY years ago, but I can't think of a reason why it might be from the mint.... Which is why I was looking for suggestions why it might possibly be from the mint.....

Maybe its a coin weight denomination.

The thing I can see is.

1/100 1cent 1/100 1 dollar 1/100 100 dallars 1/100 10,000 dollars

1/124 1 Penny 1/240 1 Pound 1/240 240 pounds.

by 15.8 g rom 9.4 or 9.5 maybe by its multiple it could reach 1000 dollars dont know what is the color of the seal,maybe red from black from black penny to red to green to hypo to pink,just a comment.

Edited by josie

The thing I can see is.

by 15.8 g rom 9.4 or 9.5 maybe by its multiple it could reach 1000 dollars dont know what is the color of the seal,maybe red from black from black penny to red to green to hypo to pink,just a comment.

It could be anything its a reverse die it might come from master die or anything else.

The wieght is more than 5 farthing, 39.9-40/24 It could be anything,just worth a try.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/weight

Just posting.

Edited by josie

The thing I can see is.

It could be anything its a reverse die it might come from master die or anything else.

The wieght is more than 5 farthing, 39.9-40/24 It could be anything,just worth a try.

Just posting.

Interesting thought.....

Anyway, I emailed the Royal mint with images... Maybe I'll get my answer from them.....

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

Just show us the result of your inquiry.

Strange token the legend is incomplete and backwards,there some token that adding there number result to a sum or a number,maybe 9 or 6

3,81,18,9 or 6

You can rotate it from 90 to 360 degrees.

Just a comment

The thing I can see is.

Nice date 1879 penny weight ovoirdoipos wool to silver,recycled worn coin fo payment,just a comment.

Just posting.

Just got am email back from the mont... Said that they would do some research and try to get back to me within a weeks time....

Will keep you all posted....

Just got am email back from the mont... Said that they would do some research and try to get back to me within a weeks time....

The mont? I hope they said "Good moaning" to you!

The mont? I hope they said "Good moaning" to you!

That's what happens when I don't stop and proof read what I type......

Wow, a lot of speculation necessary on this piece as its preservation is just a bit too poor for this soul to make many pronouncements or add thought. Interesting though...

Josie,

I like the coin history page. Thanks for posting.

All the best RLC35.

I even posted it in filipinonumismatic about the history of penny,Bhramic letter B for ma same in celtic coin a bull,piloncitos.

Just a comment.

Also 1879 year die number ended in sixpence and florin.

There are some site about rejected silver coins surrender on US rejected because they are under weight,other coin not one cent or not one penny? they do not denominatize the coin only worn coin or underweight coin in 1879,in 1880 coin are not in par in weight for goods,denominatize in coin weight to goods weight ratio.

Edited by josie

Good date.

1879 loads of legislation in Canada and US in UKGB and its colony,banknotes back by gold standard,they can change the penny in silver or increase the wieght of a penny or make a new denomination, but they continue withsame penny broze,broze penny will be in higher value 1879 but they cannot change the penny its the measure they use in all other denomination dont know, if wages increase that time,and they cannot control how much one country importing and exporting on that time,at least they didnt overprint thier banknote in par with there silver and gold bullion reserve,maybe they have a measure on how much banknote they will print then,just a comment.

Post mint thats clear.

What it looks like when it first came out in the mint or what coin,token,denomination it is?

Didnt read the other thread,it didnt came from royal mint.

It may came from somewhere else.

Edited by josie

Post mint thats clear.

What it looks like when it first came out in the mint or what coin,token,denomination it is?

Other thread has information from Royal Mint that the token posted in THAT thread was from there.... This item was post mint

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

Post mint thats clear.

Other thread has information from Royal Mint that the token posted in THAT thread was from there.... This item was post mint

Thank you BCC.

What mint this worn coin came from?