British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

josie

Predecimal Denomination.

didn't the french go a bit crazy in 1790's (it was before 1800 they decimalised) and go to extreme lengths as decimalise the calender.

sod the americans, they cant even spell metre correctly let alone use them. speaking of americans, they may use 100 to 1 doller, but they have had such crazy demoinations as 3 cents and 1/2 cents at some points.

and if you delve deaper into the predecimal era, everything still fit within one anotheryou could make any price

Scott, you remind me of the son of a person I met from London about 20-25 years ago. When we first met, his immediate reply was "Cor, you dun ahf talk funny mite" - an unlikely arrangement of letters and words. ..Yes, well..... Unlike my friend's son, is there any danger of using your mother tongue in a written form that I can recognise? It's worse than Azda's teutonic iPhone. Thanks in advance.

I had to laugh. I lost count after around thirty grammatical or spelling errors in that post. Sorry Scott!

Take it easy on Scott. He is certainly has a keen and discerning eye for coins and is a valued member of this forum. I believe that it was one of our great American presidents Andrew Jackson who said "It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." and in this case I would agree with him.

LOL I miss the old days when we all knew how many groats to the pint, measured cricket pitches in Avoirdupois and gross meant a dozen dozen, not horrid!

It's not surprising that kids nowadays have difficulty working out how many units of alcohol they've drunk, they can't bloody count without an iphone.

And while I'm on the subject, whatever happened to those five men that used to fill baths so we could work out the lengths of their trousers or something? I guess they got laid off with the miners or something ... fings just ain't wot they used to be, are they?

:P

Edited by TomGoodheart

LOL I miss the old days when we all knew how many groats to the pint, measured cricket pitches in Avoirdupois and gross meant a dozen dozen, not horrid!

I miss the old billion too! Ours, I mean, not the American one which we've adopted. If our deficit was measured in proper billions, we'd be in even deeper doodie than we already are!!

I miss the old billion too! Ours, I mean, not the American one which we've adopted. If our deficit was measured in proper billions, we'd be in even deeper doodie than we already are!!

.........and you can no longer buy exersise books with all the useful info on the back ...... how many chains to the furlong, roods to the acre, etc

even nostalgia isn't what it used to be

:)

David

didn't the french go a bit crazy in 1790's (it was before 1800 they decimalised) and go to extreme lengths as decimalise the calender.

sod the americans, they cant even spell metre correctly let alone use them. speaking of americans, they may use 100 to 1 doller, but they have had such crazy demoinations as 3 cents and 1/2 cents at some points.

and if you delve deaper into the predecimal era, everything still fit within one anotheryou could make any price

It's not surprising that kids nowadays have difficulty working out how many units of alcohol they've drunk, they can't bloody count without an iphone.

And while I'm on the subject, whatever happened to those five men that used to fill baths so we could work out the lengths of their trousers or something? I guess they got laid off with the miners or something ... fings just ain't wot they used to be, are they?

.........and you can no longer buy exersise books with all the useful info on the back ...... how many chains to the furlong, roods to the acre, etc

even nostalgia isn't what it used to be

:)

David

I'm going to go out on a rather eccentric limb here, and say that I actually prefer the imperial system of weights and measures, to the metric one. It's more traditional....oh, and talking of tradition, there are a greater number of degrees on the Fahrenheit scale as well, making it more detailed, than a Celsius with a decimal point on the end.

Call me a flat Earther if you like

I'm going to go out on a rather eccentric limb here, and say that I actually prefer the imperial system of weights and measures, to the metric one. It's more traditional....oh, and talking of tradition, there are a greater number of degrees on the Fahrenheit scale as well, making it more detailed, than a Celsius with a decimal point on the end.

LOL To be perfectly honest the whole thing irritated the hell out of me years ago. Why, oh, why did we not go the whole hog and properly adopt the metric system instead of retaining mph, pints of milk and beer (isn't a litre of beer better than a pint? Of course it is!) I used to ask.

But now I'm older I kinda like the eccentricity of a system based on 12s and body part lengths. I actually do wonder if it didn't keep us all more mentally agile having to work in feet and pints and ounces. And most certainly, as I watch for the billionth (US) time the checkout assistant looking to see how much change the machine says I need, I think we've gotten used to not having to use our brains. Whether £SD would make a difference I'm not sure. (LSD might!) Maybe there's a good case for cashing in on our british eccentricity and reverting to a monetary system nobody else uses?

Then when the EU says "You vill be oving us der twohunnert million Pfunds" we can reply "so, that's ... (licks end of pencil and scrawls on back of ciggy pack) .. 400 Guineas, fifteen groats! No problem Guv, the cheque's in the post, or if you're willing to forget the groats you can have cash?"

LOL To be perfectly honest the whole thing irritated the hell out of me years ago. Why, oh, why did we not go the whole hog and properly adopt the metric system instead of retaining mph, pints of milk and beer (isn't a litre of beer better than a pint? Of course it is!) I used to ask.

But now I'm older I kinda like the eccentricity of a system based on 12s and body part lengths. I actually do wonder if it didn't keep us all more mentally agile having to work in feet and pints and ounces. And most certainly, as I watch for the billionth (US) time the checkout assistant looking to see how much change the machine says I need, I think we've gotten used to not having to use our brains. Whether £SD would make a difference I'm not sure. (LSD might!) Maybe there's a good case for cashing in on our british eccentricity and reverting to a monetary system nobody else uses?

Then when the EU says "You vill be oving us der twohunnert million Pfunds" we can reply "so, that's ... (licks end of pencil and scrawls on back of ciggy pack) .. 400 Guineas, fifteen groats! No problem Guv, the cheque's in the post, or if you're willing to forget the groats you can have cash?"

I'm with you all the way on the ability of checkout assistants and change. When I were a lad, back in the 60s and working for J Lyons, I often worked the till at the end of the long self-service counter. One hot august bank holiday monday, I was doing the lunchtime shift, when horror of horrors, we lost mains power. I've got a queue a mile long anyway, and now I've got to add up every tray in my head in LSD. So that's a steak and kidney pie at 3/11, a portion of chips at 9d, peas at 7p a cup of tea at 3/1/2, a piece of bread at 3d and butter at 2d, and then work out the change. And that's just one tray. The real problems came with the customer who suddenly said, 'put all three trays together'. Worked wonders for my mental arithmatic!!

Edited by DaveG38

I'm with you all the way on the ability of checkout assistants and change. When I were a lad, back in the 60s and working for J Lyons, I often worked the till at the end of the long self-service counter. One hot august bank holiday monday, I was doing the lunchtime shift, when horror of horrors, we lost mains power. I've got a queue a mile long anyway, and now I've got to add up every tray in my head in LSD. So that's a steak and kidney pie at 3/11, a portion of chips at 9d, peas at 7p a cup of tea at 3/1/2, a piece of bread at 3d and butter at 2d, and then work out the change. And that's just one tray. The real problems came with the customer who suddenly said, 'put all three trays together'. Worked wonders for my mental arithmatic!!

Such mental digital gymnastics, would certainly keep you on your toes, Dave B)