British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

josie

Predecimal Denomination.

I do sometimes wish the country was never decimalised but I find that for children and shopkeeper and accountants etc. it was inefficient.

I do agree it was a great part of our history and am a little sad that unlike Americans (and most other countries) we can't pick up our collections from our change to start us off.

However, the preservation of Britain's coinage history will be maintained by us Numismatists and to be honest Britain's coinage has been changing since its origins, the size of pennies, new denominations and changing designs and materials and it would be boring if our change didn't change.

Just postig.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/opinion/Richard-Heller-The-meddling-with.6679449.jp

Well fraction is a perfect number.

Well just wait and see.

Dear oh lore, that rant was 'Grumpy Old Men, the Unabridged Version'. Much as I love this country's predecimal coinage, it was a pain in the arse to use. We have 10 fingers for a reason.

We have 10 fingers for a reason.

Yes - so we can count in twelves. The thumbs aren't irrelevant.

Norfolk folk have a few more fingers ;)

Norfolk folk have a few more fingers ;)

That's because they're Norfolk-ing good!

I'll get my coat...

However, the preservation of Britain's coinage history will be maintained by us Numismatists and to be honest Britain's coinage has been changing since its origins, the size of pennies, new denominations and changing designs and materials and it would be boring if our change didn't change.

Hear hear.

Dear oh lore, that rant was 'Grumpy Old Men, the Unabridged Version'. Much as I love this country's predecimal coinage, it was a pain in the arse to use. We have 10 fingers for a reason.

Yup. That Richard Heller recycled the tired old worn out old argument about inflation being caused by decimalisation. What, for more than ONE MONTH??? Absurd!

Just posting,just a comment just a opinion.

For now,the decimalization did caused inflation.

Dont know what is the old argument.

All I know is other currencies goes up and down.

1/100 centum,the US should made a coin on DD 2.40 dollar to 1 pound.

Not banknotes of 1 dollar.

1/100 will just make 1 in 1/100 50 pounds and make a measure of 100 of it to make a new 1/100 is that inflation? and make only six denomination out of it.

How they will increase the prices by one or two denomination only or rounding up prices,it is much more higher if they only have few denomination on a measure,

1/2400 with lots of denomination it is obvoius to see inflation.

They can have several tons of measure from the weight and mass of donkey to several tons in elephant.

The smallest measure they will use is in grain or denomination of uncia.

And I will have my payday in every 10 days and monthy pay for 30 or 40 days and bonuses on 10th month,and only 10 month in a year decimalization.

There are 12 hours in night and day 24 in total just like the standard grain 24.

24 or 20 grains per day payment in 1.29,1.30,1.56 gram of pure silver.

From seeding to harvesting to feeding livestokcs to wieghing them.

To its equivalent in denomination with all of its metal from lowest to highest.

Edited by josie

Josie, I'm not an economist but this much I do know :

For inflation to occur, there must be underlying trends - the most common one is an expanding money supply outstripping manufacture. Also, it can be caused by over-spending governments, interest rate changes, etc etc. For example, the increase in petrol prices is causing price inflation which continues for month after month.

Then there was the increase in VAT, which will cause inflation for a few months until things shake down (i.e. an increase of 2.5% on all items that are VAT rated).

Now let's look at decimalisation. The change affected prices at the level of less than 50 pence (remember - the 50p was introduced in 1969 and was a straight swap for the old 10/- banknote). Below that level, prices in whole shillings converted EXACTLY to their decimal equivalent.

the ONLY opportunity shopkeepers had to artificially inflate prices was where - at the level of less than one shilling - the old money did not convert exactly to New Pence. Most shopkeepers would certainly have rounded prices up to the nearest 1/2p.

We therefore had trivial price inflation at the level of a few coppers, for one month only.

While this was going on, the Heath Government was busy bailing out Rolls Royce and other British companies, failing to control the money supply, giving in to wage demands, etc; shortly after this there was a big Middle East conflict affecting the cost of oil all over the world, plus in this country, a miners' strike, a 3-day week, huge cuts in productivity, etc.

Now, how can anyone claim that decimalisation caused any significant inflation? It was one straw in the haystack of inflationary conditions that co-existed at the time. It was an urban myth that spread at the time, was something that 'ordinary people' could pin the blame on readily, but had no basis in reality.

Josie, I'm not an economist but this much I do know :

For inflation to occur, there must be underlying trends - the most common one is an expanding money supply outstripping manufacture. Also, it can be caused by over-spending governments, interest rate changes, etc etc. For example, the increase in petrol prices is causing price inflation which continues for month after month.

Then there was the increase in VAT, which will cause inflation for a few months until things shake down (i.e. an increase of 2.5% on all items that are VAT rated).

Now let's look at decimalisation. The change affected prices at the level of less than 50 pence (remember - the 50p was introduced in 1969 and was a straight swap for the old 10/- banknote). Below that level, prices in whole shillings converted EXACTLY to their decimal equivalent.

the ONLY opportunity shopkeepers had to artificially inflate prices was where - at the level of less than one shilling - the old money did not convert exactly to New Pence. Most shopkeepers would certainly have rounded prices up to the nearest 1/2p.

We therefore had trivial price inflation at the level of a few coppers, for one month only.

While this was going on, the Heath Government was busy bailing out Rolls Royce and other British companies, failing to control the money supply, giving in to wage demands, etc; shortly after this there was a big Middle East conflict affecting the cost of oil all over the world, plus in this country, a miners' strike, a 3-day week, huge cuts in productivity, etc.

Now, how can anyone claim that decimalisation caused any significant inflation? It was one straw in the haystack of inflationary conditions that co-existed at the time. It was an urban myth that spread at the time, was something that 'ordinary people' could pin the blame on readily, but had no basis in reality.

For the reply Peckris I Owe You (IOU).

Yes decimalization had basis on reality,just a comment.

And its inflation from the start,inflation to denomination.

There is inflation due to disease,epedeimic or pandemic less work less profit less product inflation,problem on foods drought and floods and other natural disaster,war or if the goverment is in chaos or peril that the money is in question.

We will never know what kind of inlation if the UKGB go ahead with predicimal denominatio how far or worst the inflation will be in predecimal coinage.

At least some other coins in predecimal coin is made of silver can melt it as bullion,but with coinage of lower metal base with out silver to check its metal content.

How do we know or gauge the the inflation they will carry to the people is just or on how many penny or pence they will increase is just.

Ive heard a old joke the transportation fare is high because the wheel is flat and the the gas in the gas tank is expensive and the driver body ache beacuse the wheel is flat thats why the fare is high.

Seller can pump whatever they like to the price they want only the people will notice if they are already having a hard time from day to day living.

If all go broke where they will get athe money,and what interest they will put going down to the ordinary people.

And where all those money came from? From the people.

In new 50 pence I didnt know that it is from 10 banknote,that is a very good info.

New 50 pence from people to store to bank to goverment,and the old 10 banknote people to store to bank to goverment its a legal tender.

So we can use new 50 pence to pay a national debt?Or just use the silver penny or maundy?

With all todays currency and denomination what currency and denomination will they use for a measure of several denomination in several tons with out silver and gold and lower metal.

From greek to roman to sol to sceata to real to strong peso to pound to dollar

Whats next?

At least other past denomination is in good metal content of grain of silver for a day, 24.

Edited by josie

There is inflation due to disease,epedeimic or pandemic less work less profit less product inflation,problem on foods drought and floods and other natural disaster,war or if the goverment is in chaos or peril that the money is in question.

We will never know what kind of inlation if the UKGB go ahead with predicimal denominatio how far or worst the inflation will be in predecimal coinage.

It is true that historical "What if...?" can answer no questions. But we do know all the other infaltionary pressures of that time.

At least some other coins in predecimal coin is made of silver can melt it as bullion,but with coinage of lower metal base with out silver to check its metal content.

The silver content of the coinage was not a significant factor after 1947 - most of it was recalled.

How do we know or gauge the the inflation they will carry to the people is just or on how many penny or pence they will increase is just.

True. But shopkeepers had been given strict instructions by their Local Authorities, Weights and Measures, etc. Some would have been dishonest, yes, but only in a 'penny pinching' way.

Ive heard a old joke the transportation fare is high because the wheel is flat and the the gas in the gas tank is expensive and the driver body ache beacuse the wheel is flat thats why the fare is high.

Seller can pump whatever they like to the price they want only the people will notice if they are already having a hard time from day to day living.

Maybe. But price inflation is the least element. And people will not pay the high prices of mavericks.

If all go broke where they will get athe money,and what interest they will put going down to the ordinary people.

In new 50 pence I didnt know that it is from 10 banknote,that is a very good info.

New 50 pence from people to store to bank to goverment,and the old 10 banknote people to store to bank to goverment its a legal tender.

So we can use new 50 pence to pay a national debt?Or just use the silver penny or maundy?

With all todays currency and denomination what currency and denomination will they use for a measure of several denomination in several tons with out silver and gold and lower metal.

The value of circulating coins to the money supply is smaller than it's ever been. And it gets smaller all the time.

Whats next?

At least other past denomination is in good metal content of grain of silver for a day, 24.

The value of circulating coins is not significant, compared to banknotes, deposits, bank reserves, credit, overdrafts, etc.

It is true that historical "What if...?" can answer no questions. But we do know all the other infaltionary pressures of that time.

The silver content of the coinage was not a significant factor after 1947 - most of it was recalled.

Yes,sorry for that I thought that there are still loads of coin with silver from 1953 onwards.

It must go to 5 cents with silver and mercuty dimes with silver till late 60s and other countries that still silver on that time,one of the best example I see is Philippine that all inflation from 1947-1970 to no silver in coin to decimalization happen in short time only.

True. But shopkeepers had been given strict instructions by their Local Authorities, Weights and Measures, etc. Some would have been dishonest, yes, but only in a 'penny pinching' way.

Penny is 1/240 decisemiuncia 1/100 centi it will only take 2.4 cent to have 10 penny of 1/24.

That will go to raw material to product going inside UKGB coming from US and other.

1 CENT IS NOT EQUAL TO PENNY.it is not 1:1

Maybe. But price inflation is the least element. And people will not pay the high prices of mavericks.

The value of circulating coins to the money supply is smaller than it's ever been. And it gets smaller all the time.

Whats next?

The value of circulating coins is not significant, compared to banknotes, deposits, bank reserves, credit, overdrafts, etc.

Yes the debt is the weight or mass of it its greater to all,unless someone will bail them out in low interst of 1% to the whole duration of the payment.

It like a question what is great a peeny or a pound before it got into a pound it came from penny in a measure before it got to other reserved or bond.

The smallest is the complete representation of the biggest like poincare only in coins,just a comment.

It all came from measure one is in sceata 1/15 .05g to 1g 1/20 /0.0645, 1/24 0.065g

1/100 .01 gram,grain denomination 1/240 sceata could be a payment fo a day or a month on those time the highest silver is also equivalent to gold.

It would take 240 hours to make a living.

Give what is due to eah other.

The greatest is the smallest

The smallest is the greatest

Yes,sorry for that I thought that there are still loads of coin with silver from 1953 onwards.

It must go to 5 cents with silver and mercuty dimes with silver till late 60s and other countries that still silver on that time,one of the best example I see is Philippine that all inflation from 1947-1970 to no silver in coin to decimalization happen in short time only.

Penny is 1/240 decisemiuncia 1/100 centi it will only take 2.4 cent to have 10 penny of 1/24.

That will go to raw material to product going inside UKGB coming from US and other.

1 CENT IS NOT EQUAL TO PENNY.it is not 1:1

Whats next?

Yes the debt is the weight or mass of it its greater to all,unless someone will bail them out in low interst of 1% to the whole duration of the payment.

It like a question what is great a peeny or a pound before it got into a pound it came from penny in a measure before it got to other reserved or bond.

The smallest is the complete representation of the biggest like poincare only in coins,just a comment.

It all came from measure one is in sceata 1/12 0.83g or 12 grains or 16 grains of .05 grams per grain 1/15 .05g to 1g 1/20 /0.0645, 1/24 0.065g

Lowest silver will not exceed the next denomination in weight with few grams allowance that the highest silver will not exceed the wiegth of the lowest gold coin or denomination,weight counterweight,mass,piedfort,that two denomination of coin seperate will not exceed a coin twice its weight or a piedfort or multiple of it in the next denomination,its just like that a two bull will carry more weight than a two bull pulling a weight seperate http://www.prairieoxdrovers.com/moreinfo.html just a comment.

1/100 .01 gram,grain denomination 1/240 sceata could be a payment fo a day or a month on those time the highest silver is also equivalent to gold.

It would take 240 hours to make a living.

Give what is due to eah other.

The greatest is the smallest

The smallest is the greatest

not going to comment on inflation or counting in whatever system! All I know is as a kid, when I had 10 pennies in my pocket I knew about it. The coins had weight, they were chunky and they had good designs. I think the only good design on the decimal series is the coat of arms that came out in recently.

not going to comment on inflation or counting in whatever system! All I know is as a kid, when I had 10 pennies in my pocket I knew about it. The coins had weight, they were chunky and they had good designs. I think the only good design on the decimal series is the coat of arms that came out in recently.

We'll agree to differ on that one, I thought Chris Ironside's designs - especially the 50p were spot on. Also the reverse of £1 coins (most) and £2 unimetal. Where I think they stink are the reverse of most commem 50 pences, and just about every crown-sized piece in the whole era.

We'll agree to differ on that one, I thought Chris Ironside's designs - especially the 50p were spot on. Also the reverse of £1 coins (most) and £2 unimetal. Where I think they stink are the reverse of most commem 50 pences, and just about every crown-sized piece in the whole era.

Maybe I was a little hasty there Peckris! I looked up Chris Ironside on google and the first hit was this, the royal mint . After looking through the many designs I have to agree with you, they are not all bad. I may just start a decimal collection now :D Thanks for the pointer.

I thought Chris Ironside's designs - especially the 50p were spot on.

I must agree, the 50p Coin Design was very elegant.

I also rather liked one of his earlier ideas for the Design for the 50p Coin. I believe that it was based on the 'Royal Arms.'

A very talanted artist!

I have a Proof old large 50p coin and the Britannia Design is really shown at its best on there, much more so than a coin meant for Circuation.

Beautiful. :)

Maybe I was a little hasty there Peckris! I looked up Chris Ironside on google and the first hit was this, the royal mint . After looking through the many designs I have to agree with you, they are not all bad. I may just start a decimal collection now :D Thanks for the pointer.

You're welcome! But did I detect a smidgenette of irony there ...

I thought Chris Ironside's designs - especially the 50p were spot on.

I must agree, the 50p Coin Design was very elegant.

I also rather liked one of his earlier ideas for the Design for the 50p Coin. I believe that it was based on the 'Royal Arms.'

A very talanted artist!

I have a Proof old large 50p coin and the Britannia Design is really shown at its best on there, much more so than a coin meant for Circuation.

Beautiful. :)

Agreed. And I love the 'silk finish' you find on pre-1976 BU 50 pences, especially 1969 - 1970.

Agreed. And I love the 'silk finish' you find on pre-1976 BU 50 pences, especially 1969 - 1970.

Indeed. I have a 1969 50p Coin which looks really beautiful. :)

Maybe I was a little hasty there Peckris! I looked up Chris Ironside on google and the first hit was this, the royal mint . After looking through the many designs I have to agree with you, they are not all bad. I may just start a decimal collection now Thanks for the pointer.

No, no ironey intended. I have been collecting now for over 30 years and up until now have concenrated on bronze and copper, pre 1970. I do have a few decimal coins in my collection but very very few, never really been interested but after following up on your mention of Christopher Ironside my interest has been awakened. I have a few Proof sets 72, 73, 75 and 1976 which I acquired in an auction lot which I was intending to sell. They are no longer on the "for sale" list!

Maybe I was a little hasty there Peckris! I looked up Chris Ironside on google and the first hit was this, the royal mint . After looking through the many designs I have to agree with you, they are not all bad. I may just start a decimal collection now Thanks for the pointer.

No, no ironey intended. I have been collecting now for over 30 years and up until now have concenrated on bronze and copper, pre 1970. I do have a few decimal coins in my collection but very very few, never really been interested but after following up on your mention of Christopher Ironside my interest has been awakened. I have a few Proof sets 72, 73, 75 and 1976 which I acquired in an auction lot which I was intending to sell. They are no longer on the "for sale" list!

Oh, then I feel vindicated! Of your proof sets, the 1972 and 1973 (provided the latter hasn't got ugly toning) are the ones to especially hang on to. The 1972 is a complete set-only issue (excluding the 25p commem), and the 1973 seems to have acquired a kind of cachet; it is rarely found completely untoned, it also contains the only commem 50 pence for years and years to come, and it makes a sort of 'trilogy' along with 1971 and 1972 that later sets just don't.

Oh, then I feel vindicated! Of your proof sets, the 1972 and 1973 (provided the latter hasn't got ugly toning) are the ones to especially hang on to. The 1972 is a complete set-only issue (excluding the 25p commem), and the 1973 seems to have acquired a kind of cachet; it is rarely found completely untoned, it also contains the only commem 50 pence for years and years to come, and it makes a sort of 'trilogy' along with 1971 and 1972 that later sets just don't.

The 72 with the commem 25p is perfect, no toning but the 73 set has the 2p toning, not ugly though. the CN coins have what appears to be frosted patchyness, is that a word? Anyway, the 73 set is not perfect. The other two are perfect with no toning. I also have 85,86, 88 plus the 1970 £sd set. These I packed away ages ago and had almost forgotten about. they are all perfect. Must say though that the packaging certainly improved in the later years! The early sets are only in a stiff paper envelope were as the later dates are in a display type case.

Must say though that the packaging certainly improved in the later years! The early sets are only in a stiff paper envelope were as the later dates are in a display type case.

They certainly are nicer now. I also have a feeling that the card itself may in some way add to the toning of the coins in some sets. Pehaps that, the plastic casing and whatever the 'Insert' is made of?

I had heard that one Proof Set has a red 'Insert' and it is apparantly quite hard to find those Sets with no toning. That may be set mentioned here, but I honestly do not know. :)

I think that the Royal Mint offer the Proof Sets in three different cases these days. The Executive Issue is rather fetching, but then again so is the price. :P

The 72 with the commem 25p is perfect, no toning but the 73 set has the 2p toning, not ugly though. the CN coins have what appears to be frosted patchyness, is that a word? Anyway, the 73 set is not perfect. The other two are perfect with no toning. I also have 85,86, 88 plus the 1970 £sd set. These I packed away ages ago and had almost forgotten about. they are all perfect. Must say though that the packaging certainly improved in the later years! The early sets are only in a stiff paper envelope were as the later dates are in a display type case.

I had heard that one Proof Set has a red 'Insert' and it is apparantly quite hard to find those Sets with no toning. That may be set mentioned here, but I honestly do not know. :)

Yes, the 1973 is the bright red insert set. If the 2p only is toning, and it's not too bad, then you have one of the better sets Gary. The 80s sets were certainly better presented, though by then collectors were getting to be somewhat "ho hum" about the fact of a new set every year. The 1970 set is very easy to come by, but is also very popular as it's the only proof set for those types. If they'd only included the farthing it would have been absolutely perfect. :)

the 1973 is the bright red insert set.

Thanks for that Peckris.

I thought that it may have been that set, but as I said, I didn't know :)

The 80s sets were certainly better presented, though by then collectors were getting to be somewhat "ho hum" about the fact of a new set every year.

I do agree with you.

I do think that Proof Issues are very nice, but I also think that they should be reserved for 'Special Occasions' such as a Coronation or a new Coinage Issue.

Although it is nice to have the coins contained in them at the highest Grade, I think that it takes something away from them when they are produced each and every year.