British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest erskimo

i have a coin and a friend said it maybe worth something

Guest erskimo

well, i have searched all over the net for a pound coin with the queen wearing a necklace but i only get results about £2 coins!

its like this here,

a friend told me it maybe worth something but i dont have a clue about coin collecting and where to look for advice. the reason i am getting no results on the net could only mean 2 things 1. its not worth anything and has no value or 2. its very rare and theres not many out there. its because a friend said check it out it has made me curious, any advice would be appriciated. thanks

well, i have searched all over the net for a pound coin with the queen wearing a necklace but i only get results about £2 coins!

its like this here,

a friend told me it maybe worth something but i dont have a clue about coin collecting and where to look for advice. the reason i am getting no results on the net could only mean 2 things 1. its not worth anything and has no value or 2. its very rare and theres not many out there. its because a friend said check it out it has made me curious, any advice would be appriciated. thanks

This is an urban legend. There's been 4 portraits of the Queen used since 1953 - on the third, from 1985 to 1997, the Queen is showing wearing a necklace on the billions of coins in circulation.

This myth arose due to a delay in producing the first currency £2 coin in 1997. Due to technical problems they had to recall them and thus the whole issue was delayed. Everyone *thought* this would make the 1997 £2 coin rare when it finally appeared, especially as the new protrait had begun to appear for 1998 coins. Unfortunately, it didn't. The entire 1997 £2 coin issue finally appeared, but though this was the only issue with 'the necklace', there are millions of them. Not rare at all.

Guest erskimo

thanks for the reply, i did have much doubt over the coin actually being worth anything, but my friend was so convinced it was worth something that it actually got me curious.

well, best to check these things. thank you.

Yep the coin is worth face value...there are many mugs out there and you might double your money....but hey who wants to list a coin pay Ebay and paypal fees and still visit the post office....that is why I'm looking for a proper job again. :blink:

Visit the post office to be told 5 weeks later "me no got my coin(s) my friend. what you do about solve it for me?"

6 TW*TS now since mid December (only 1 in the UK), all of course selected standard airmail and all expect this mug to foot their losses, if indeed they are lost.

It's almost enough to make you become a xenophobic mass murderer!!!!!

Visit the post office to be told 5 weeks later "me no got my coin(s) my friend. what you do about solve it for me?"

6 TW*TS now since mid December (only 1 in the UK), all of course selected standard airmail and all expect this mug to foot their losses, if indeed they are lost.

Got my first lot, no probs, thanks. <_< Hmmmm, still waiting for the second lot though! Wonder where they are? :rolleyes:

Got my first lot, no probs, thanks. <_< Hmmmm, still waiting for the second lot though! Wonder where they are? :rolleyes:

I was referring to the Dick Turpin brigade on Ebay Gary, you're a website buyer so...... it "me no got my coins my friend" tough lady bumps mate, no insurance paid for no rip John off!!!!

I'm sure I could work something out for a decent chap on the forum though :D

Only sell recorded postage and state the risk is with the purchaser...I have only sold to France & USA (also UK) a hundred £ hit messes up a lot of hard work....sorry nothing goes to third world countries.

Only sell recorded postage and state the risk is with the purchaser...I have only sold to France & USA (also UK) a hundred £ hit messes up a lot of hard work....sorry nothing goes to third world countries.

I visited a public toilet in France once and that seemed pretty third world.

But even if the risk is with the purchaser, it doesn't stop them ripping the money out of your hands through paypal! I use common sense based on a mental value/place/buyer feedback/history with buyer equation, as to whether I send recorded or take a chance.

I visited a public toilet in France once and that seemed pretty third world.

But even if the risk is with the purchaser, it doesn't stop them ripping the money out of your hands through paypal! I use common sense based on a mental value/place/buyer feedback/history with buyer equation, as to whether I send recorded or take a chance.

I use all of the above Chris, but the latest hit is a Russian buyer with good feedback on a £13.50 sale. Hardly worth the extra £4 whatever it is that the Royal Mail rip you off for, just for their website to say "with overseas postal service"

I know I would be covered with paypal but £4 is probably the profit in the sale!

I wonder how many of these "buyers" have a rapidly expanding collection without ever paying for any of it?

My very latest kick in the nether regions happened on Wednesday when my darling wife collected a 2000 millennium silver proof set that I had won in a general auction. I checked it when I returned from the auction I had been viewing and found that some rather clever chap had kindly bought the 50p, 20p and 5p off me. He had kindly left the 2007 50p, 2006 20p and 2000 5p currency issues that he had paid with inside the capsules alongside the other silver coins of mine that he didn't have the money for. I really do like enterprising people, whoops sorry, I meant THIEVING LOWLIFE SCUM.

Do you realise this topic is abbreviated on the top page to "I have a coin and a friend.."

I say, that's a bit greedy isn't it? :P