British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Another anti spam measure.

By way of a further attempt to prevent spam bots registering and posting, I have now added an additional feature to the registration process.

All new members are presented with the question: 'What sex is your biological father?'

No computer is currently clever enough to read/understand that and correctly respond. And, should a clever one be invented in the future, we all know computers can't lie and don't have fathers, so that should stop them in their tracks either way!

In fact, to go one further: I hope the concept of artificial intelligence deliberating on whether or not it has a biological father may cause a meltdown and stop spamming forever - and that would probably qualify me for a Nobel Peace prize.

Would Hennige if you could get rid of the shite thats already in Site Chris

Would Hennige if you could get rid of the shite thats already in Site Chris

Where?

I thought I'd zapped everything. Point me at it.

Lots of British coin related 1st topic then the 1874h topic, Inside there then Fellow in from that

Also British coin related, Seen on eBay, spam Inside that topic

Sorry, didn't notice that.

Should all be gone now?

Every day about 25 spam accounts fail to get in (i.e. become members). It's a constant battle. I have a feeling that the spam bots are targeting websites more than peoples email these days.

Possibly so, the forum had its fair share over the weekend though. Dome sites don't allow free Email addresses to register accounts, perhaps thats another preventitive measure?

I can still See 6 spam New topic posts in Lots of British coin related chris. Whether its My iPhone still picking it up or You've missed them i dunno, 1 is called is paul wincott still dealing

Sorry, didn't notice that.

Should all be gone now?

Every day about 25 spam accounts fail to get in (i.e. become members). It's a constant battle. I have a feeling that the spam bots are targeting websites more than peoples email these days.

Nope - about 10 rogue posts in British Coin Discussions still. Unless "I want two men" is an obscure discussion about double-headed coins?

Oh my giddy aunt.

Those were accounts that were created before I added the question. It seems they can now get around the CAPTCHA wierd text character input, but they really shouldn't be able to get around the question.

I thought about banning certain email accounts, but there are also genuine people that use the free email accounts (gmail is the spammers favourite).

I prefer to buy drugs locally..what do the spammers hope to achieve?

: 'What sex is your biological father?'

No computer is currently clever enough to read/understand that and correctly respond. And, should a clever one be invented in the future, we all know computers can't lie and don't have fathers, so that should stop them in their tracks either way!

In fact, to go one further: I hope the concept of artificial intelligence deliberating on whether or not it has a biological father may cause a meltdown and stop spamming forever - and that would probably qualify me for a Nobel Peace prize.

:D :D :D

nice one Chris...

If it for some reason does not work, i suggest using reCAPTCHA.

CAPTCHAs are programs that distinguish humans from internet bots. I like reCAPTCHA because it also helps digitise books - http://www.google.com/recaptcha.

Seems you have it already.

How the hell do the bots get past it?

Yes, had that since the upgrade to the latest version.

I have no idea how they get past it. I can only assume there is some poor Indian chap sitting in an internat cafe entering CAPTCHA's all day long. Or, innocent internet users are presented with fake CAPTCHA's (via trojan/viruses etc that look like they are part of websites) that are actually linked to web registrations for forums etc, without them knowing it. Then the spam bots do the rest.

No idea! Perhaps someone has developed software that can read them.

No idea! Perhaps someone has developed software that can read them.

Doubt it - most of the time *I* can't read the damn things either!

Oops, perhaps I'm a bot ...