British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daerton

Cleaning Coins?

Guest Daerton

Greetings all! I recently acquired a mixed bag of coins at an auction. Some are very interesting but all are rather dulled, esp the copper ones (George II & III and a couple of Louis XVI). I have as yet no idea of their worth but I am wondering if I ought to polish them up a bit mainly to see if I discern the designs better. Is that a good idea or not? And if it is, then what should I use? I have a tin of Brasso at the ready. Thank you for your help! :)

Good god no!!

don't do it, it'll ruin any value they do have and render them lumps of artificially altered copper. As they are maybe mucky you should never go futher than a bit of soap and water to remove loose dirt and a very thorough drying.

There is a little about not cleaning coins in the advice hub.

Just don't do it! Collectors want originality.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest Daerton

Right-ho! I thought that might be the case, but I am very glad that I found a place to ask. Thank you very much for your speedy and much appreciated advice!

You are very welcome,

Please feel free to use this forum for any other questions you may have! I want to get it filled with lots of useful reference stuff for my visitors.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest Steve

Whats the best method of cleaning crusties?? that is not using a hammer and chisel :lol:

Steve

Unless they are extremely old or rare, I don't think "crusties" are any good but that's my opinion...

Perhaps I'm not down with the kids, but what exactly is a Crusty?

is it a badly corroded coin of some kind, or a character from the Simpsons?

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Perhaps I'm not down with the kids, but what exactly is a Crusty?

is it a badly corroded coin of some kind, or a character from the Simpsons?

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Well Chris, i've often heard the term mentioned with regards to ancient and Roman coins, usually those that have been dug up/found in hoards, it's where the contact with the soil forms a crust of muck/dirt ect, where the metal has reacted. At least that's my interpretation of it.

Of course ancient coins are often 'curated' which is basically, gentle cleaning to remove this excess debris. The usual soft brush (very soft brush) and soapy water, and ocasionally dipping i should imagine. But of course there is limit to how much can be conducted without damaging the coin further.

So when people ask the question, 'should i clean my coins?' - well my answer is it depends on the coin, anything milled then it's wise not to (polishing is a big no no!), gentle cleaning is sometimes advised, but only for the really bad stuff...and it should be avoided with copper and even more so with tin...at all costs!

Hammered coins on the other hand, especially ancient stuff it's a different case altogether, but i'd say it depends on how bad the coins are.

Sylvester.