British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Marc

200? new 2p error coin?

Just checked my change from the shop and found a new 2p (it has the new reverse) with a date of 200 . There is no last digit or even a slight imprint of the last digit. The new 2008 reverse would indicate it is at most that old.

The coin has about 50% luster on both sides. Ill try and post a pic but it's from my phone camera and not very good. I'll try and get a friend to let me use their camera and hopefully get a better pic.

Note the light line just to the right of the last zero. That is luster coming through the patina. I've use a x15 power mag and can see no trace of a strike for the last digit.

Is this an error and has anyone else seen this?

cheers, Marc

post-5845-023428200 1294844342_thumb.jpg

I think you're being a touch generous in saying the picture 'isn't very good'.

I'll have to downgrade it to shite I'm afraid.

Well, I do apologize. As I don't have a digital camera, my phone was the best I can do for now.

I'm only pulling your leg, don't take it personally - but DO go and borrow your friends camera.....

:lol: diplomatic as usual 400 :lol:

Don’t worry, they are a quirky bunch... they even pull me up on my poor spelling! But Azda and 400 do get 10/10 for helping my on 100% of my posts, and my posts usually do ask for help opposed to just chatting.

A clear image would be useful for this coin, with modern coins coming into the lime light over the last couple of years with the 20p, 1982 2p and £2 necklace roomer, it would not surprise me at all to see evidence of the last digit being skilfully removed.

Don't worry, they are a quirky bunch... they even pull me up on my poor spelling! But Azda and 400 do get 10/10 for helping my on 100% of my posts, and my posts usually do ask for help opposed to just chatting.

A clear image would be useful for this coin, with modern coins coming into the lime light over the last couple of years with the 20p, 1982 2p and £2 necklace roomer, it would not surprise me at all to see evidence of the last digit being skilfully removed.

Thanks Mat. I'll try and get a better photo as soon as I can.

I don't think someone removed the last digit. I've got a x15 power magnifigher and the disk is smooth where the digit should be. There is no sign of any fiddling. In fact the area has some patina and a little luster shows through. The coin is normal in all other respects. If someone had removed the last digit, I would have thought they would flog it on ebay. But you can't rule out "jokers" or pranksters. I'm as sure as I can be though that the coin is genuine and unaltered..

Assuming the coin wasn't altered, how could this happen? If a bit of metal had got between the blank and the die, I would expect to see some type of "strike" where the digit should be. But I'm no expert.

Has anyone seen something similar to this?

Cheers, Marc

Don't worry, they are a quirky bunch... they even pull me up on my poor spelling! But Azda and 400 do get 10/10 for helping my on 100% of my posts, and my posts usually do ask for help opposed to just chatting.

I don't think someone removed the last digit. I've got a x15 power magnifigher and the disk is smooth where the digit should be. There is no sign of any fiddling. In fact the area has some patina and a little luster shows through. The coin is normal in all other respects. If someone had removed the last digit, I would have thought they would flog it on ebay. But you can't rule out "jokers" or pranksters. I'm as sure as I can be though that the coin is genuine and unaltered..

Assuming the coin wasn't altered, how could this happen? If a bit of metal had got between the blank and the die, I would expect to see some type of "strike" where the digit should be. But I'm no expert.

Cheers, Marc

I'll see if this picture will work.

post-5845-010476700 1294927369_thumb.jpg

it is typial of the new design, it is probably 2008 the striking that year were horrible

Cheers, Marc

I think the only way for me to give you a 99% accurate answer is if I had the coin in my hands to have a look. I use a 400x digital microscope to look at these kind of things as you cannot hide from that magnification. The reason I am so sceptical is because I have seen a small number of specimens where this has been done. Although never to a modern worthless coin... That fact of what the coin is suggests that it may well be a genuine error, but again unless I had it here I can only make assumptions. In terms of value, its worth what someone is prepared to pay for it as opposed to a book guide. Most reputable coin auction houses would probably not accept it unless it was accompanied by some sort of documentation that its not altered. If they did accept it, it would probably fetch somewhere around £50 to £150. If you sling it on ebay as it is and state that you can see no evidence of tampering... although you are no expert! Im sure enough people would have a bid up to £30-£50 for it.

Cheers, Marc

Much better! (apart from the ghastly Windows furniture LOL). There seems to be a weakness that extends all the way around starting with the '2' and going as far as the 'B', at its widest just below the truncation which is gone. This could be caused by a wodge of grease or similar clogging up the die, causing a curved weakness all around the bottom side. What's puzzling is why it should remove the '8' completely, when the previous '0' is still more or less complete, though weak.

Oh I've just noticed - there's a corresponding weakness around the top edge also, though not so marked.

Edited by Peckris

Cheers, Marc

Much better! (apart from the ghastly Windows furniture LOL). There seems to be a weakness that extends all the way around starting with the '2' and going as far as the 'B', at its widest just below the truncation which is gone. This could be caused by a wodge of grease or similar clogging up the die, causing a curved weakness all around the bottom side. What's puzzling is why it should remove the '8' completely, when the previous '0' is still more or less complete, though weak.

Oh I've just noticed - there's a corresponding weakness around the top edge also, though not so marked.

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated.

Marc

There is so much scepticism in the market and on ebay about 'manufactured' errors, especially after that 20p farago, that probably the only way to go is to send it off to CGS for an opinion as to whether it has been tampered with or is a genuine mistrike.

It'll cost you a tenner, they will probably say it's been tampered with, but you never know and if they certify it and slab it, then who knows what it might fetch, no-one can say.

In the meantime, if it is genuine, then we need to find some more as there will be some. You'll be helped greatly if someone finds another one.

To show willing, I stuck my hand in my 'copperpot' and low and behold, I didn't find any, but I did manage a date run in EF with nearly full mint lustre....

post-4698-002706100 1295013418_thumb.jpg

I got quite excited

post-4698-068894200 1295013455_thumb.jpg

And, yes, I am at a bit of a loose end today...

post-4698-054495100 1295013512_thumb.jpg

What's that one then ?

Ah so.

I've chucked them all back in the pot now.

That is an interesting coin Marc.

A very good find. :)

When I was looking through my change earlier, I noticed that I had a 2009 2p Coin where the '9' wasn't as 'Struck Up' as well as the other numbers. It looked almost faded in comparison to the other numbers, and indeed the rest of the coin.

I will try and upload a image when I get a chance.:)

Edited by RobJ

Here is the Scan of the 2009 2p Coin with the 'Faded 9.'

It doesn't show up very well on the Scan and is a lot more prominent on the coin itself and is nowhere near as well 'Struck' as the other Lettering or Numbers on the coin.

post-5830-088840800 1295449928_thumb.jpg

Here is the Scan of the 2009 2p Coin with the 'Faded 9.'

It doesn't show up very well on the Scan and is a lot more prominent on the coin itself and is nowhere near as well 'Struck' as the other Lettering or Numbers on the coin.

It looks to have the same kind of "fading" mine has, just not as severe. Can't tell if mine is 08 or 09 as the last digit is completely gone. Perhaps mine is 09 as well and yours is the beginning of the "fading". Let's hope more examples show up.

It looks to have the same kind of "fading" mine has, just not as severe. Can't tell if mine is 08 or 09 as the last digit is completely gone. Perhaps mine is 09 as well and yours is the beginning of the "fading". Let's hope more examples show up.

My thoughts exactly Marc.

It does make sense that if there was some grease or something blocking the Die, then the effects would appear gradually with the first coins being unaffected, then as the Die was slowly blocked, coins such as my example would appear and then finally coins such as yours would appear after the Die was fully blocked.

I do not know if that is what happened in the instance, but it does make sense to me. :)