British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Marc

200? new 2p error coin?

i know looking at this it was written a few years ago but i came across one of these 2p coins today with the date 200 while looking through coins to find ones with my kids year of birth and now me and my kids are interested to find out more about it so was wondering if you had any information x

Would be better to perhaps post a picture :)

Welcome to the forum .........whats the pink all about:P

The die has probably blocked with grease. Stored dies are coated in grease to stop them rusting. If this grease is not removed prior to use it will get trapped and act as a solid face because it will not compress, meaning the design cannot be transferred to the blank flan. Attached is an example of what I mean showing partial and full blockage of the legend.

02543 - Copy.jpg

• Like 3

Agreed. I do think that if grease-filled that some of these lettering "errors" might improve with successive strikes rather than increase as presumably the heat and contact of striking would gradually lessen the grease filling the lettering...

21 hours ago, Rob said:

The die has probably blocked with grease. Stored dies are coated in grease to stop them rusting. If this grease is not removed prior to use it will get trapped and act as a solid face because it will not compress, meaning the design cannot be transferred to the blank flan. Attached is an example of what I mean showing partial and full blockage of the legend.

02543 - Copy.jpg

Thats a good example Rob.

Oh please , these coins fetch £1 or £2 on ebay  are you really that interested  in a poorly struck coin why not go for a 1918 penny at least it has a bit of age to it

No one was talking about buying anything, she was asking for more information on a curiosity she found :blink:

Also, these aren't poorly struck coins they are grease filled dies, what thread are you reading :D 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2016 at 11:04 PM, sarahlovespink said:

i know looking at this it was written a few years ago but i came across one of these 2p coins today with the date 200 while looking through coins to find ones with my kids year of birth and now me and my kids are interested to find out more about it so was wondering if you had any information x

Neat capture. It is, as Rob says, doubtless the result of a grease blocked die, but interesting nonetheless, and adds weight to theories of why certain features apparently didn't appear on the coins of other years (1876 and 1882 no H). Well spotted - of course you could always refer it to the Royal Mint for official analysis. I know they're always happy to address such anomalies. 

It doesn't say too much for modern quality control methods, as you'd imagine a fair number were minted with the same feature :ph34r:

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Oh please , these coins fetch £1 or £2 on ebay  are you really that interested  in a poorly struck coin why not go for a 1918 penny at least it has a bit of age to it

FYI this ticks the 'example of a coin struck from blocked dies' box - no.508 on the list of criteria for the collection. :)

For an example of a poorly struck coin, I can thoroughly recommend just about anything from the first 80 years of the 12th century