British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Help please.

Sometime between last night and this morning, all the links in my coin databases have had their pathways renamed but the images are unaffected. The previous path which included documents\coins\ through which all links passed has been replaced with a path AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\. Only that name in the tree has been changed. This is a pain in the A**E as it has effectively b****red quite a few thousand links to images of specific coins. Has my system been hacked? The AVG virus scan didn't pick anything up. Is it due to a Microsoft downgrade given only a single section of the path is affected and the replacement includes the word microsoft? More importantly, how do I correct the problem, or do I have to completely redo all the links to something I can use? At the moment I am reduced to trying to mentally correlate an image to a previously recorded provenance which for minor sales is proving well nigh impossible. My memory is good, but not that good. I haven't found anything else that has changed - yet.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rob

Rob,

Direct links are usually for a single user PC, roaming would seem to indicate that you are part of a network of computers, or that you have multiple users on that PC and therefore the files are made roaming so that you can access them from different computers/accounts.

It seems that this is something taht windows does automatically depending on how it thinks the file will be used/and the size of the files, it may be that a change in the folder size has triggered a change, but it doesn't explain why the data has not moved as well :blink:

Rob,

Direct links are usually for a single user PC, roaming would seem to indicate that you are part of a network of computers, or that you have multiple users on that PC and therefore the files are made roaming so that you can access them from different computers/accounts.

It seems that this is something taht windows does automatically depending on how it thinks the file will be used/and the size of the files, it may be that a change in the folder size has triggered a change, but it doesn't explain why the data has not moved as well :blink:

Thanks Colin. I had a flag come up on the bottom of the screen this a.m. saying Microsoft updates had been installed. Could this be the reason? If I look at the folder above AppData, there is no sign of the AppData sub-folder. The implication that I could be part of a network could mean that I've been hacked (by Microsoft?)?

Rob,

Thanks Colin. I had a flag come up on the bottom of the screen this a.m. saying Microsoft updates had been installed. Could this be the reason? If I look at the folder above AppData, there is no sign of the AppData sub-folder. The implication that I could be part of a network could mean that I've been hacked (by Microsoft?)?

What version of Windows are you using? I would guess that it is the update that has caused the problem, Microsoft are renown for causing issues with updates, I remember the dreaded IE8 problems :angry:

Might be worth uninstalling the latest update to see if it corrects itself

Edited by Colin G.

What version of Windows are you using? I would guess that it is the update that has caused the problem, Microsoft are renown for causing issues with updates, I remember the dreaded IE8 problems :angry:

It's whatever is current that replaced a supposedly crappy version previous to that. One of those was Vista and the other windows 7(?), but I couldn't tell you which way round they went as I'm from Barcelona when it comes to computers, so left the changeover to someone else. I haven't a clue how to uninstall & revert.

Edited by Rob

It's whatever is current that replaced a supposedly crappy version previous to that. One of those was Vista and the other windows 7(?), but I couldn't tell you which way round they went as I'm from Barcelona when it comes to computers, so left the changeover to someone else. I haven't a clue how to uninstall & revert.

You could try the system restore, be careful that you choose a point before the update was installed, but after anything that has taken a few hours to complete as it will probably overwrite anything after the restoration point.

I'm not so sure that a System Restore would fix the problem.

A System Restore would take you back to a point before this happend, but it does not guarantee that the Updated Files would be removed or that your previous path settings would be restored.

Also, if it did revert back to a point where all was OK, and the Updated Software was removed and your Paths restored. Windows being Windows would attempt to Update the Software that it did this morning. Thus you would be back at square one.

It may work but there.is no gurantee of it.

It sounds as if it was the Updated Software that has changes these settings.

I think that the way to fix it would be to change the Path name back to what it was before the Updated Software changed it.

As you said, the only Path in the Tree that was changed was the one that changed to AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Therefore if you change it back to its previous setting that should fix it.

This would all depend of course if your System is a Single User or Multiple User/Network System. Windows in its 'Wisdom' thinks it is the latter. However, that may not be the case as Windows does what Windows does and changes settings as it sees fit.

Just so you know Vista was replaced by Windows 7.

From my (brief) recent spell being forced to use a netbook with Windows 7 on, I had some trouble installing an older email client. I did some browsing, and it seemed that Windows 7 has some 'issues' about where items can be installed - I can't remember precisely, but it was something to do with the App Data folder.

You might want to Google, especially if you recently installed Windows 7 ?

Normally when windows does an update it makes a restore point before it does the updating, my advice would be to go back to the restore before the updates were launched onto the computer you are using. My guess is, as Colin says, MS UPDATES have f****d up yet again

A System Restore would take you back to a point before this happend, but it does not guarantee that the Updated Files would be removed or that your previous path settings would be restored.

Also, if it did revert back to a point where all was OK, and the Updated Software was removed and your Paths restored. Windows being Windows would attempt to Update the Software that it did this morning. Thus you would be back at square one.

I think that the way to fix it would be to change the Path name back to what it was before the Updated Software changed it.

As you said, the only Path in the Tree that was changed was the one that changed to AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Therefore if you change it back to its previous setting that should fix it.

This is the point of the restore, if anything is wrong after updating it can rollback to where it was before the updates, so yes it should fix the problem, whether the data retuns as you had it Rob is another question, but in theory, it should

This would all depend of course if your System is a Single User or Multiple User/Network System. Windows in its 'Wisdom' thinks it is the latter. However, that may not be the case as Windows does what Windows does and changes settings as it sees fit.

This is the point of the restore, if anything is wrong after updating it can rollback to where it was before the updates, so yes it should fix the problem, whether the data retuns as you had it Rob is another question, but in theory, it should. You can also specify what updates you want to use, they don't have to be used, or you can choose which ones you want to install. My advice is firstly do a system restore and see what happens from there

Edited by azda

Right all you genii, flying by the seat of my pants here.

I've sort of arrived via the control panel at what could have happened. It appears that Windows did a critical update on 12/1/11 at 03:00. A security update for package KB2419640 and an update package for KB2454826. A previous system backup was made on 9/1/2011 and automatic backups weekly backwards from there. Do I restore the one for 9/1/11? It also says system protection should be on before you do it. How do I know?

Alternatively, is it possible to make a global pathway change without doing a system restore? i.e. can I give a specific instruction to change the named path A\B\C\ to D\E\ which would therefore revert only the 5000+ affected links to their original paths. Obviously, redoing 5000+ links individually is not the ideal solution.

If I go back to the configuration for 9/1/11, is it possible to then immediately redo the 12/1/11 update from microsoft or is that now history? I know this is possibly going to revert a working system back to one with a problem, but would confirm that the disruption was down to their changes and would save me entering any more data which would get modified on a later update. I don't know how often they do these.

I've sort of arrived via the control panel at what could have happened. It appears that Windows did a critical update on 12/1/11 at 03:00. A security update for package KB2419640 and an update package for KB2454826. A previous system backup was made on 9/1/2011 and automatic backups weekly backwards from there. Do I restore the one for 9/1/11? It also says system protection should be on before you do it. How do I know?

Alternatively, is it possible to make a global pathway change without doing a system restore? i.e. can I give a specific instruction to change the named path A\B\C\ to D\E\ which would therefore revert only the 5000+ affected links to their original paths. Obviously, redoing 5000+ links individually is not the ideal solution.

If I go back to the configuration for 9/1/11, is it possible to then immediately redo the 12/1/11 update from microsoft or is that now history? I know this is possibly going to revert a working system back to one with a problem, but would confirm that the disruption was down to their changes and would save me entering any more data which would get modified on a later update. I don't know how often they do these.

Go back to the last restore point Rob before the updates were done. If the updates were critical you'll need to find some way around the problem AFTER updates were done, but at least this way you should have the pc running back to where it was before the updates.

When you have reverted back, then backup the data you lost initially onto a cd rom or something and then, dare i say it, try the updates again

Viel spaß

Edited by azda

If all things were well on 09/01/2011, I would use that date, if not go backwards to a date were you are sure all was well.

I would also create a backup as the restore doesn't like interruptions etc..and if it doesn't work you are still able to go back

to the start and adopt another route/solution.

System protection, I am unsure, best read about first.

The Computer will tell Microsoft at some point it hasn't received the latest update and it will download and try to install it again,

you can turn this feature off and/or ask for a prompt before installing, usually on shut down you will see , shut down & install updates

alongside your usually shut down button, Alternatively a little gold shield right hand side of bottom toolbar.

It might be worth going onto a Computer Tech forum amd raise the renaming question, could be a very simple process or they could confirm that

restoring is the best route.

Rob,

I use a facility named "bulk rename utility" to mass rename files, and looking at it, at also allows you to rename paths. Might be an easier way but unsure how your paths are stored, so you may end up with some files stored separately from the others.

Google the program, and it is free, it is a great program, I have been using it for a couple of years now!! :D

Rob,

I use a facility named "bulk rename utility" to mass rename files, and looking at it, at also allows you to rename paths. Might be an easier way but unsure how your paths are stored, so you may end up with some files stored separately from the others.

Google the program, and it is free, it is a great program, I have been using it for a couple of years now!! :D

Built into Mac OS X .. but you probably don't want to hear that :D

Restoring the backup on the 9/1/11 didn't make any difference although I know it was working ok on 11/1, so I went back to the post microsoft update.

Bulk rename utility offers both a 32 bit or 64 bit program. which one do I use and how do I tell? I can't afford to lose all this data, so don't want to experiment. Thanks.

Restoring the backup on the 9/1/11 didn't make any difference although I know it was working ok on 11/1, so I went back to the post microsoft update.

Bulk rename utility offers both a 32 bit or 64 bit program. which one do I use and how do I tell? I can't afford to lose all this data, so don't want to experiment. Thanks.

It depends on your OS. Windows XP is 32-bit, Vista offers 32-bit and 64-bit, and Win7 is 64-bit (but may run 32-bit also?)

Have a look at your computer's System Profile (or whatever they call it on Windoze) which will tell you which species you are running. And if it's a free program, you can always download both and find out once you've had a peer under the bonnet. (Clever utility software sites can tell which version you're running and direct you to the relevant program anyway).

You won't harm your data. You won't be able to run a 64-bit program in a 32-bit OS anyway, it will just give you an error message.

The rename utility program makes no difference as it appears that the new pathway is that set in the autorecover mode within excel. The original paths can still be set if new data is entered. Is there any way to change the autorecovered path links other than doing it individually? I've tried replicating the error by entering a new bit of data into an excel page with only one other entry and shutting down without saving, but it still keeps the correct location for the previously entered data :(

The rename utility program makes no difference as it appears that the new pathway is that set in the autorecover mode within excel. The original paths can still be set if new data is entered. Is there any way to change the autorecovered path links other than doing it individually? I've tried replicating the error by entering a new bit of data into an excel page with only one other entry and shutting down without saving, but it still keeps the correct location for the previously entered data :(

That would depend on which Version of Excel that you are running.

For Excel 2007 - You would find that under: Excel Options> Save (Under Save Workbooks.)

For Excel 2003 - You would find that under: Tools> Options> Save.

I have enclosed a couple of Images so you know what to look at. (Ignore the red circle and red arrow. lol)

post-5830-058157700 1295217767_thumb.jpg

post-5830-019687500 1295217787_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobJ