British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
les occ

1863 penny

I found a 1863 penny with a short serif 3 imposed derictly on a long serif 3. The New 3 can be seen clearly surrounded by the remains of the old 3 (greenish /white)as well as the end of the longer serif forming a blob.

his this a known variation. I have not be able to find one

post-5957-091243900 1293816684_thumb.jpg

post-5957-077229600 1293820854_thumb.jpg

post-5957-049191600 1293821108_thumb.jpg

I found a 1863 penny with a short serif 3 imposed derictly on a long serif 3. The New 3 can be seen clearly surrounded by the remains of the old 3 (greenish /white)as well as the end of the longer serif forming a blob.

his this a known variation. I have not be able to find one

I think we need a higher res scan of the date

see if this is better. It is diffict around the 3 due to all the excess remains of the original' the New 3 is bronze coloured

post-5957-003458400 1293834688_thumb.jpg

what do you make of this then, O penny experts? 1863/1? That'd be funny...

1863date.jpg

There are marks all along the exergue. What appears to be the foot of an underlying "1" is most likely just another mark.

Interesting though.

Thanks for that, '49. I was in two minds about it and failed to find a picture of one anywhere, so I couldn't see exactly where the 1 is, under the 3. London Coins sold one for £1100 not too long ago, but they didn't have a picture. I did learn all about slender and open 3 1863s while I was at it though, so time well spent.

Anyone care to contribute a 1863/1 pic so I know what I'm looking for next time?

Thanks for that, '49. I was in two minds about it and failed to find a picture of one anywhere, so I couldn't see exactly where the 1 is, under the 3. London Coins sold one for £1100 not too long ago, but they didn't have a picture. I did learn all about slender and open 3 1863s while I was at it though, so time well spent.

Anyone care to contribute a 1863/1 pic so I know what I'm looking for next time?

Didn't even know there was such a thing.

This is from Michael Gouby's book:

1863-over-1-cu.jpg

1863date.jpg

There's also something on the curve,on the outside

1863date.jpg

There's also something on the curve,on the outside

If you want my opinion Dave, there's no trace of a 1 anywhere there

You're correct Peck, i just saw something on the curve of the 3 and thought i'd mention it

You're correct Peck, i just saw something on the curve of the 3 and thought i'd mention it. This topic is also in the unlisted variety section, if its in the Gouby book i would assume its already a confirmed variety? Anyway, incase no one saw it, here's what i meant.

post-5057-060454100 1304323952_thumb.jpg

Edited by azda