British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Beautifully worded. That's exactly what we got. A new design across all the denominations ... a bit on each :lol: (Jeez, decent coin designers must be hard to find these days :D )

Which is I think one of the redeeming features of the new designs. Many may not agree with me, but I like the novelty value of having a traditional hereldic design presented in such a modern an innovative way, I also like the fact that if you have one of each denomination you can sit and arrange them to make the full design.

Must be the OCD tendencies within, the need to create order out of chaos? ;)

Sure maybe they don't live up to some of the great predecimal designs of the past (nothing will beat the work of the Roetiers & Thomas Simon in my opinion anyhow), but they way I see it there's probably little point coming up with great artistic detailed designs for modern circulating coins (sure it'd be great to see!) but the technicalities of modern minting would undermine them completely.

Back in the days of gold, silver and copper, you had three metals that were 'soft' and thus they would take designs with relief and detail well, the excellent lustre of all three metals would help to add extra definition to the designs.

Today with huge mintages and minting in much harder metals which wear out the dies quicker, the relief has had to be significantly reduced and steel and nickel alloys being much harder mean that smaller finer details are so hard to strike up properly, not to mention the drab greyish lustre.

Try minting several thousand George II Young Head crowns in steel and give it a nickel plating, I bet half of the higher details (like his eye) would be missing! This is before we move to classics such as Una and the Lion in Cupronickel anyone?

Although this isn't my area of interest or expertise, I must say I have found this a fascinating thread to read through. Thanks for all the technical and other info, chaps.

Beautifully worded. That's exactly what we got. A new design across all the denominations ... a bit on each :lol: (Jeez, decent coin designers must be hard to find these days :D )

Thanks Peckris, I do try. lol :D

Which is I think one of the redeeming features of the new designs. Many may not agree with me, but I like the novelty value of having a traditional hereldic design presented in such a modern an innovative way, I also like the fact that if you have one of each denomination you can sit and arrange them to make the full design.

I'm still not sure about the New Designs if I am honest Chaps.

They are certainly original, innovative perhaps, and yes it is fun to to sit and complete the 'Jigsaw' - Which I believe was the Designers intent - But after a few times the novelty wears off, at least for me.

I think that like with so many things before it, history will be the judge. In years to come they may be deemed one of the 'Design Masterpieces.' On the other hand they may be replaced for our next Coronation Coinage whenever that may be. lol

Ha, I was wondering about that just the other day. The Queen is well into her 80s, so it's not exactly an outside bet that there might be a monarch change on the cards within the next 10 years. What happens with the coin designs I was wondering? Will we just get new obverses? Or will we (like tradition before) have a sweeping change in designs?

Will we ever get the rest of Series F banknotes before this happens? If it's going to be five years between each denomination, it could be touch and go! Indeed as the last denomination arrives the £20 will be nearing retirement age!

Ha, I was wondering about that just the other day. The Queen is well into her 80s, so it's not exactly an outside bet that there might be a monarch change on the cards within the next 10 years. What happens with the coin designs I was wondering? Will we just get new obverses? Or will we (like tradition before) have a sweeping change in designs?

I'm really not sure at all what will happen. As you have already stated, traditionally there are not only new OBV Designs but usually new REV Designs as well. Even if not every REV Design has changed, there have usually been a few that have.

The thing that we also have to consider as wel in this Sylvester, is that when our present Monarch does pass, her Heir is not getting any younger. So what will happen to our coinage after his passing and his Heir suceeds him? Will they all be totally redesigned on both the OBV and REV again?

We may end up in similar situation as Victoria and Edward VII, wherein she had a long Reign with several Design changes and he had a short Reign with only one Design.

It certainly is interesting to speculate. However, I'm sure that all will be revealed in due course and time.

The thing that we also have to consider as wel in this Sylvester, is that when our present Monarch does pass, her Heir is not getting any younger. So what will happen to our coinage after his passing and his Heir suceeds him? Will they all be totally redesigned on both the OBV and REV again?

Ah, by that time we'll all be using a version of Mondex cards and coins will be redundant. :( Though then, of course, like vinyl records, they will become the exclusive preserve of collectors. ;)

Ah, by that time we'll all be using a version of Mondex cards and coins will be redundant. :(

No doubt it will some form of a 'Micro Implant' embedded somewhere in our bodies.

Perish the thought!

Ah, by that time we'll all be using a version of Mondex cards and coins will be redundant. :(

No doubt it will some form of a 'Micro Implant' embedded somewhere in our bodies.

Perish the thought!

it's started already: I just spent all morning trying to buy car insurance with a cheque. They think you're some kind of nutter if you don't use plastic. By the 4th or 5th phone call I start to get a bit silly with these people, so I told Craig in a Glasgow call centre that I didn't even have a barcode tattooed on my forehead. He said "No, you won't need that till next year!"

Didn't have the heart to tell him we haven't got a postcode, a mobile phone or a landline, an employer, a landlord or a taxman. I think his paradigm may have shattered...

Didn't have the heart to tell him we haven't got a postcode, a mobile phone or a landline, an employer, a landlord or a taxman. I think his paradigm may have shattered...

I'm fairly amazed you have a computer with an internet connection! Still, you obviously have your priorities worked out ;)

Looks like the reverse rotated die of the 2008 5p is getting some attention. 18 bids at 41 pounds with 2 hrs to go.

See here.

With my slightly rotated 2010 5p, I wonder if there are more 2008-2010 5ps like them out there.

I meant to note that in the pic, he doesn't show the obverse in the mirror. so this may just be a con. Still, it shows the interest in a true 180 rotated reverse.

I'm fairly amazed you have a computer with an internet connection! Still, you obviously have your priorities worked out ;)

Wireless can be a bit flaky through 60 yards of wet trees sometimes, but it works. We'll have to get a bit more imaginative one day when we get our little piece of land. Then we'll have to learn how to make our own electrickery, and I think you can do something with satellites for internet. I have seen someone who made a dish from a wok. Wi-Fry?

Looks like the reverse rotated die of the 2008 5p is getting some attention. 18 bids at 41 pounds with 2 hrs to go.

See here.

With my slightly rotated 2010 5p, I wonder if there are more 2008-2010 5ps like them out there.

I meant to note that in the pic, he doesn't show the obverse in the mirror. so this may just be a con. Still, it shows the interest in a true 180 rotated reverse.

I see that it was finally sold for £142. With another example selling for £255, I wonder if we are about to see ' Upside Down 5p Mania?' lol

I'm also wondering how long it will be before a chancer lists a 'Rare 2008 5p' with the description of 'Both the Heads and Tails are facing the RIGHT way up! I don't know if this is correct or not' with a starting Bid of 99p? :P lol

Seriously though, I think that, if genuine, these coins along with the '20p Mules' have certainly made collecting and looking for modern coins in your change a lot more fun and exciting and does show a genuine interest from the Public at large and Coin Collectors alike about them.

I do have a theory as to how it may have happend, although I'm not sure how accurate it may be. lol

I have seen various coins with the OBV rotated by varying Degrees, although never by a full 180 Degrees. It has crossed my mind that the Die when minting these coins has some how become loose and as the coins are Minted the Die is 'Rotating' around its axis, possibly up to a full 180 Degrees.

This could account for the varying amount of difference in the rotated OBV of the coins as some may be Minted when the Die is in movement around its axis.

I hope that at least kind of made sense! lol

At least that is my, albeit badly explained, theory. lol

WHAAAAAATTTTTT..............£142............£255.

please god, ive been a good boy today......could you please let me have some nice 5p's in my change tomorrow :rolleyes:

please god, ive been a good boy today......could you please let me have some nice 5p's in my change tomorrow :rolleyes:

lol :)

If I'm honest I would never pay that amount for a 5p Coin. Rarity or not. If I were to find one in my change then that would be a different matter, it could go with my other Decimal Coins in my collection, but I would never personally purchase one.

If I'm honest I would never pay that amount for a 5p Coin. Rarity or not. If I were to find one in my change then that would be a different matter, it could go with my other Decimal Coins in my collection, but I would never personally purchase one.

I'm with you, RobJ. I'm not sure I'd be happy selling one either. Someone said recently on this forum that finding interesting stuff in change was coin collecting at its purest - I like that.

Equally, fishing things out of change and flogging them on eBay has to be coin collecting at its least pure.

Wireless can be a bit flaky through 60 yards of wet trees sometimes, but it works. We'll have to get a bit more imaginative one day when we get our little piece of land. Then we'll have to learn how to make our own electrickery, and I think you can do something with satellites for internet. I have seen someone who made a dish from a wok. Wi-Fry?

:lol:

I'm with you, RobJ.

Me neither

i would love to add some to my new decimal collection........im not a seller by far :)

Equally, fishing things out of change and flogging them on eBay has to be coin collecting at its least pure.

yes that would be coin selling then :D

i sold the 2008 5p for £255, bit spicy for my pocket but i had put the coin on for a silly £10,000 last month to see how many there could be lurking out there. in this i had turned down a £500 offer. personally i dont collect decimal error coins so i decided to auction the piece, started it at 99p

once the auction had finished i offered the buyer a refund on the coin, as this was the first example to sell. the buyer was happy with the price and so it has been sent

the proceeds have gone partly on a new hammered lizzy sixpence which i do collect and the rest will go towards our baby due in may.....happy days

still, only four examples have been found

i sold the 2008 5p for £255, bit spicy for my pocket but i had put the coin on for a silly £10,000 last month to see how many there could be lurking out there. in this i had turned down a £500 offer. personally i dont collect decimal error coins so i decided to auction the piece, started it at 99p

once the auction had finished i offered the buyer a refund on the coin, as this was the first example to sell. the buyer was happy with the price and so it has been sent

the proceeds have gone partly on a new hammered lizzy sixpence which i do collect and the rest will go towards our baby due in may.....happy days

still, only four examples have been found

well, not a new lizzy sixpence.. doh

I'm with you, RobJ. I'm not sure I'd be happy selling one either. Someone said recently on this forum that finding interesting stuff in change was coin collecting at its purest - I like that.

I agree with you Declan.

I really would not feel at all comfortable selling one of those coins on E-Bay or elsewhere. To me personally, it is little more than profiteering.

The same applies to me for the '20p Mule' as well. I am fortunate enough to have obtained one from my change. However, I could never personally sell it for a grossly over inflated price simply to gain profit.

I personally think that if you were to purchase, for example, a Sovereign, and over a period of time the coin appreciated in its value and at the time that it was sold a profit was realised, then that is the order of things.

However, to simply profit from a 'Quick Sale' of the type mentioned here, would leave not only a very bad tase in my mouth, but it would not bode well on my conscience either. Not at all well.

I would never judge anyone for doing so. It is simply a personal point of view. :)

I agree with you Declan.

I really would not feel at all comfortable selling one of those coins on E-Bay or elsewhere. To me personally, it is little more than profiteering.

The same applies to me for the '20p Mule' as well. I am fortunate enough to have obtained one from my change. However, I could never personally sell it for a grossly over inflated price simply to gain profit.

I personally think that if you were to purchase, for example, a Sovereign, and over a period of time the coin appreciated in its value and at the time that it was sold a profit was realised, then that is the order of things.

However, to simply profit from a 'Quick Sale' of the type mentioned here, would leave not only a very bad tase in my mouth, but it would not bode well on my conscience either. Not at all well.

I would never judge anyone for doing so. It is simply a personal point of view. :)

il agree and disagree

the only way to aquire coins is from someone selling them or friend/relative giving them to you. in respect of rob i would agree that spending £50 on an undated 20p is not on the top of his wish list. but would be to other collectors and sadly also people thinking they can make money later on in time.

the coin i sold was not a "quick sale" in any respect or a way to make a quick buck, i even offered the buyer his money back before sending. as he was a true collector of error coins he was happy with the sale. the coin was no use to me and everyone is happy, i got a coin i really liked and so did the buyer.

i will agree that there is a lot of junk being slammed through fleabay by scammers and what not. this does no good for coin collecting and puts misstrust from buyers

whether you have a perfect coin that is year old or a thousand years old its only really worth as much as the next collector/dealer is willing to pay for it.

thing is i am a true collector of coins and am constantly updating my collection and very often i will replace a coin with a better grade and then sell the lower grade as it is no longer required, sometimes for far more than the better grade, would this then be classed as wrong?.

okay......i would probably never buy a 5p or mule 20p from ebay, because im not a decimal collector, although ive now got some decimal coins (i blame you lot :P )........but i collect 6d's, florins, double florins and half crowns. and i bet most of them have been bought. My collection would be nothing without the sellers, so, good there are people who sell!.

im also not a collector of error coins to any great degree, i have a few examples, but im guessing that if you were a collector of such coins, you may well be grateful that someone has an example that you desire for sale, enabling you to buy the piece.

good luck to you Chris for selling your coin, if i found such an item in my change, i would keep it, you choose not to, thats your choice and your collection has benefited from your gain. Someone said here not the purest collecting, he didnt collect, he sold. hence my previous post. i wonder how many of the coins i have in my collection have been sold to me at a profit.....most i would imagine.....if not, there wouldnt be too many coin dealers!.How do we know that 100 years ago someone acquired a coin from change and today were happy to trade that coin!.

This is completely different to the scamming that goes on. ebay is full of ads for 20ps with no date on the reverse, just a rip off.

well done chris, i hope you enjoy youre new (old) 6d, i bet your buyer is equally delighted with his coin, i doubt he would have parted with £255 otherwise.

il agree and disagree

the only way to aquire coins is from someone selling them or friend/relative giving them to you. in respect of rob i would agree that spending £50 on an undated 20p is not on the top of his wish list. but would be to other collectors and sadly also people thinking they can make money later on in time.

the coin i sold was not a "quick sale" in any respect or a way to make a quick buck, i even offered the buyer his money back before sending. as he was a true collector of error coins he was happy with the sale. the coin was no use to me and everyone is happy, i got a coin i really liked and so did the buyer.

i will agree that there is a lot of junk being slammed through fleabay by scammers and what not. this does no good for coin collecting and puts misstrust from buyers

whether you have a perfect coin that is year old or a thousand years old its only really worth as much as the next collector/dealer is willing to pay for it.

thing is i am a true collector of coins and am constantly updating my collection and very often i will replace a coin with a better grade and then sell the lower grade as it is no longer required, sometimes for far more than the better grade, would this then be classed as wrong?.

I did not and have not implied in any way, shape or form that you sold your example for a 'Quick Sale' Chris.

I think that if you started your Auction at 99p and the final amount reached was £255 and both yourself and the person who purchased the coin are happy with the price that is paid, then that is the business of yourself and the purchaser.

It is not my place to judge or question, and I never would.

I do, however, like anyone using a Public Forum, have the right to comment and express personal opinions on any topic Posted. Just as anyone has the right to comment or express personal opinions on anything that I have Posted, or may indeed Post in the future.

I did not intend anything that I said to be referred to you or by you personaly. If any offence was taken, it was not implied or intended. I offer my apologies if it were.

Absolutely right Rob, and all points of view make for an interesting read, long may that continue.

im off now to check my change...... :D