British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Weegaz

..:: A little help please ::..

Guest Weegaz

Hi Everyone,

I was doing some hoking about in the roofspace gathering up the crimbo decorations and came across a tin with old coins that I used to gather up when I was younger.

I have a range of sterling and punts (Irish coins before Euro).

Does anyone know where I could get them valued??

I want to put them all together in a display box and label them correctly but would be interested in finding out there value also.

They is a lot of One pennies dating from 1910 in fairly good condition.

Would anyone recommend cleaning them??

I have a couple of notes to (£100 and £50 Northern Bank notes) but will need to check the dates when I get home.

Thanks in Advance

Gareth

First of all, DON'T CLEAN THEM!!!

Secondly, valuations can often be disappointing. Comparatively modern issues (and anything from 1910 would fall into that category) need to be in tip-top condition to have much value. There are of course exceptions, rare dates, varieties etc. which have a reasonable value even in normal circulated condition.* Bank notes and Irish coinage are largely outside my experience, so can't comment individually but the same comment would certainly apply to them.

What I suggest you do next is give us some idea of what you've got (i.e. denominations, dates etc.) and post photographs of what you think are your best coins, and with a bit of luck we should be able to point you in the right direction.

*There are scarce penny varieties to look out for dated 1918, 1919, 1926 and all pennies dated 1950 and 1951 are scarce.

How did they get there? unless they were collected by someone serious they are unlikly to be worth anything I've seen so many Old coins which are worth pence.

How did they get there? unless they were collected by someone serious they are unlikly to be worth anything

They were collected by his younger self.

Pay attention now Peter.....

Sorry it was large cough mixture which upset me :blink::D

Sorry it was large cough mixture which upset me :blink::D

You'll get a reputation for yourself.... :ph34r:

Guest Weegaz

Thanks for the replies.

The 1 pennies in particular are 1910, 1912, 1916, 1919, 1927, 1928, 1931, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1948, 1965, 1968

I have a few half pennies and 3 pennies.

I will get round to photographing them at the weekend when I get the camera working!!

Thanks

Gareth

Thanks for the replies.

The 1 pennies in particular are 1910, 1912, 1916, 1919, 1927, 1928, 1931, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1948, 1965, 1968

I will get round to photographing them at the weekend when I get the camera working!!

Thanks

Gareth

Scanner does the trick quick and easy Gareth, and you can do a batch at a time...

How did they get there? unless they were collected by someone serious they are unlikly to be worth anything

They were collected by his younger self.

Pay attention now Peter.....

He actually said "gathered up" - bit of a difference!! :)

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks

Gareth

(Casually, as if not really interested) I'll give you a couple of quid for your 1968 penny. If it's in reasonable condition of course. And English. :rolleyes:

Hi there

The £100 and £50 notes could be worth a tidy sum of money but condition, type and date will determine this. If the notes are scrunched up pieces of paper with folds, lines, rips or marks then I can safely say just take them to your bank and get face value for them. (Most banks will honour this if you pay them into your account) However if they are pre 1980ish then you should really look it up just in case. If they are pre 1960ish then they will almost certainly be worth selling unless they are tattered rags. Northern bank £100 notes from the early periods can go for up to £700 in relatively poor condition. Your best bet is to have a look at ebay completed listings for a comparison, weigh up the selling fees over face value and make your decision on that.

Good luck

Mat

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks

Gareth

If you really have a 1968 British penny then go and put a deposit on a Ferrari! For the 1919, have a look to the left of the date; what you hope to see are the letters either 'H' or 'KN'. Still no guarantee that they are of much value but the presence of these letters (indicating that they were made in Birmingham by either Ralph Heaton & Son or the King's Norton Metal Company) make it worth enquiring further. Of the others, they would need to appear virtually unused, and preferrably with mint lustre (the shine you get on new coins) to be worth much more than their metal content.

To be sure

To be sure

... to be sure