British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Kronos

Collectors Coins GB 2011

I'm still behind. Feb is probably unrealistic now I'm afraid.

I will be asking for help (perhaps putting a different member on each denomination so that all I have to do is change the book, rather than search, collate etc) in the 2012 edition.

What kind of help? I'm happy to help where I can. (Mutters under breath "bagsy pennies or halfcrowns")

As long as somebody else does the gold. :rolleyes:

Amazon have offered a refund...but I will hang in there.

Any new major varieties are always welcome....I'm sure with a bit of forum help it can go further...maybe back to 1672...anything post 1967 can go. :unsure:

1/4ds and 1/2ds from CC sales catalogues?

willing to help if I can.

Don't know why Amazon would offer a refund....it's coming, eventually!

Kind of help: basically the helpers will need to feel confident updating the prices for their chosen denomination. Not just a few, but all of them. This can be as simple as penciling small prices in an existing book or can be as technical as an excel file with Freeman/ESC etc numbers, grades, values. As long I can understand it and incorporate the data into the book!

Gold is taken care of already. Crowns are pretty easy as there are relatively few of them.

Peck down for Half Crowns and pennies?

Going back further is also a good idea. And I think i can now probably remove post 1970 as Check Your Change covers all those.

Kind of help: basically the helpers will need to feel confident updating the prices for their chosen denomination. Not just a few, but all of them. This can be as simple as penciling small prices in an existing book or can be as technical as an excel file with Freeman/ESC etc numbers, grades, values. As long I can understand it and incorporate the data into the book!

Gold is taken care of already. Crowns are pretty easy as there are relatively few of them.

Going back further is also a good idea. And I think i can now probably remove post 1970 as Check Your Change covers all those.

Perhaps the workman sale would help on the penny front regarding pricing? Just a thought...

Halfpennies, maybe farthings too!

Can use Excel :rolleyes:

Edited by Gary

OMG. You actually want updated prices??? I wouldn't be any more authoritative than you, less in fact! Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were looking for compositing or layout or textual or proofreading help. I'd best keep my big mouth shut in future. Well, for 5 minutes at least :lol:

Edited by Peckris

Yup, I need price data for each denomination based on recent sales, dealer lists and a lot of instinct!

I personally think you'd be pretty well qualified for the job Peck.

Yup, I need price data for each denomination based on recent sales, dealer lists and a lot of instinct!

I personally think you'd be pretty well qualified for the job Peck.

In this case, flattery will get you absolutely nowhere Chris! I'd feel obliged to do the job thoroughly and send off for every dealer list going, and spend hours on eBay looking at realised prices, only to end up realising that randomly subtracting from or adding to Spink 2011 prices (up to 15%) would give the same result for a lot less effort!

My main instinct is to suggest that pennies - in particular bronze, in particular buns, are going stupid right now in high grades, but I'm not sure that "going stupid" would look quite right written down in CCGB :D

Yes, that is the problem with value cataloguing as there are so many variables so best to be a tad conservative. The same coin sold in a different venue can bring vastly different prices even over short time intervals. Which value to pick? Likely neither high nor low but closer to the latter.

Yes, that is the problem with value cataloguing as there are so many variables so best to be a tad conservative. The same coin sold in a different venue can bring vastly different prices even over short time intervals. Which value to pick? Likely neither high nor low but closer to the latter.

Yes. I use about 4 different ways to value my coins:

1) an average of Tony Clayton, British Coins Market Values, Spink, and CCGB

2) What I paid for it

3) What I think I could get for it (based on my own historical sales records)

4) What I'm asking for it

Wildly different numbers in most cases

If you walk around the Midland looking for a common coin like a 1758 1/- you will see huge differences...then look at Ebay and say you bloody idiots.

How can you catalogue a coin worth (in my eyes £20)and its selling between £15 to £125 :blink:

Whilst books of prices satify the considerable demands of the the market, to be honest, the production of a price guide is almost irrelevant in today's environment. There is ample data available for prices realised in sales, but the spread of these prices for what is ostensibly identically graded pieces makes choosing a number akin to pinning the tail on the donkey apart from when you are talking bullion. Overhyped prices on ebay compared to just about any other auction would lead to too high expectations on the part of vendors for lower grade material, but equally a high grade or esoteric item will typically not realise its full typical rostrum auction value on ebay because of insufficient trust in the vendor to be honest when grading.

When prices are written down they are effectively cast in stone for some collectors as the maximum price to pay which is a little meaningless with regard to what the market is saying. There are just too many variables when assessing grade and condition to ascribe a concrete price. Should price guides reflect the OTT prices paid on ebay for ****, as after all it is the going rate for some people. People complain Spink prices are too high relative to the market, yet I can think of many instances where the prices are too low if trying to reflect reality. There is no right or wrong number that any guide can give and it would be disingenuous to suggest otherwise.